The Student Room Group

The Official English Personal Study / Dissertation Thread

Scroll to see replies

ermm hi. :smile:
i'm currently self studying adv. english at a wee school in the highlands :frown: i don't have a teacher and noone else in the school is doing it.
I've already completed my creative prose as it's my favourite/best component.
however... i really don't have a clue what to do about my dissertation.
I want to do a selection of sylvia plath's poems but i don't know a) how to start it b) what sort of structure a dissertation has or what sort of content it's supposed to contain or c) are we supposed to write our own questions?
i know.. i'm rubbish.. but i seriously haven't been told about anything.. just been left to 'get on with it'.
but if anyone here would like to tell me exactly what's going on, i'd greatly appreciate it! :smile:
oh.. and the exam.. i'm studying othello and anthony and cleopatra, should i do more incase a question on them doesn't come up?
thanks. :smile: x x
Original post by Zoe Disastrous
ermm hi. :smile:
i'm currently self studying adv. english at a wee school in the highlands :frown: i don't have a teacher and noone else in the school is doing it.
I've already completed my creative prose as it's my favourite/best component.
however... i really don't have a clue what to do about my dissertation.
I want to do a selection of sylvia plath's poems but i don't know a) how to start it b) what sort of structure a dissertation has or what sort of content it's supposed to contain or c) are we supposed to write our own questions?
i know.. i'm rubbish.. but i seriously haven't been told about anything.. just been left to 'get on with it'.
but if anyone here would like to tell me exactly what's going on, i'd greatly appreciate it! :smile:
oh.. and the exam.. i'm studying othello and anthony and cleopatra, should i do more incase a question on them doesn't come up?
thanks. :smile: x x

I'm doing Sylvia Plath too! :smile: Although it's for the exam, not my dissertation, I might be able to help. I don't know if you've seen this:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/4685.html
This lists the format of the dissertation (when you get round to writing it). It tells you how to include bibliography, how to structure it.

As for the dissertation question, it's usually your teacher that helps with making it up. Pick an area of study that you want to write about (maybe a reoccurring idea through Plath's poems?), and try to make up a question based on that. What collection of poems are you thinking of doing? I might be doing some of the same Plath poems as you. :smile:

But first things first, think of the question. Then make up a rough plan (I would just write it like a normal essay, maybe write things like the introduction or whatever later). It might also be good to look up journal articles on the poems, and quote these in your dissertation (libraries also have books of analysis on poems - often they're quite expensive to buy).

I haven't read any of the other texts, but have you looked at any past papers? I think they have to fit into at least two "areas" (like poetry and prose for us).

Hope this helps! If you're needing any help, feel free to PM me! I'm doing Advanced Higher this year too, and I'd probably die if I didn't have a teacher to help me! :eek:
Ok, I know it's really late to be deciding on a topic for my dissertation, but I dismissed the last two options I had because they've been done to death and I think I'd rather do something new... (They were Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist by James Joyce and a comparative study of Tennessee Williams' plays)
My real problem is coming up with some decent links between books, can anyone think of anything to link with some of these? Or is anyone writing about them/written about them in the past?

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Perfume by Patrick Suskind
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King

Thank you :smile:
Hey :smile:

I studied The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie last year for higher so here are a couple "themes" you could explore. Unfortunately, I've not read anything else (bar Perfume from a long time ago) so sorry this isn't as helpful as it should really be :frown:

TPOMJB is mainly about power and its abuse; Miss Brodie's influence over her naive girls, especially Sandy, not to mention the influence that woman hold over men in general; religious power in terms of the setting...

Though I don't know much about the rest of her works, I do know a girl in our year is doing a couple other of Spark's work in terms of studying the power of woman ... or something female related. So maybe that's something worth exploring. You don't need to write about more than one author btw, so there's no need to link things together.

:erm: I got all excited when you mentioned Joyce. I'm doing him this year for my dissertation, so I could've helped. Why did you drop him, in the end, if I may ask?
(edited 13 years ago)
okay okay... stupid question.
but what does the nab include please?
It's not my fault i don't know, as i periviously said, i just don't have a teacher.
All help is really appreciated :smile: <3
Original post by Zoe Disastrous
okay okay... stupid question.
but what does the nab include please?
It's not my fault i don't know, as i periviously said, i just don't have a teacher.
All help is really appreciated :smile: &lt;3

Literary Study NAB?

Just write one essay on your books under timed conditions. Open-book. You need to pass it to do the final exam.
Original post by spacepirate-James
Literary Study NAB?

Just write one essay on your books under timed conditions. Open-book. You need to pass it to do the final exam.

I thought you had to do a Textual Analysis NAB as well?
Original post by draconia_93

Not if you're doing a creative writing folio. If you're not, then yes, you need to do the textual analysis NAB as well.
Original post by draconia_93

not if you didn't choose textual analysis, opting for creative writing instead :wink:

DAMN you tautology-mad-jack. :grumble:
We didn't do any NABs. Teacher just said the prelim was our NAB.

:colone:
Original post by Madjackismad
Not if you're doing a creative writing folio. If you're not, then yes, you need to do the textual analysis NAB as well.

Original post by spacepirate-James
not if you didn't choose textual analysis, opting for creative writing instead :wink:

DAMN you tautology-mad-jack. :grumble:

Y-you mean I have to do two NABS instead of just one? :cry2: That sucks!

:getmecoat:
Original post by Kirsteneg
We didn't do any NABs. Teacher just said the prelim was our NAB.

:colone:

Dislike. Our prelim is like in 2 weeks so wtf.

:grumble: :grumble:

NAB didn't go too badly today. Wrote on Antony & Cleopatra and argued that it wasn't, ultimately, a male-dominated play.
Reply 792
I am in desperate need of help with my AH dissertation, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The novels I am studying are; 'The Handmaids Tale' by Margaret Atwood, '1984' by George Orwell and 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. My aim is to discuss how the characters are affected by their societies but I have no idea what i should be mainly focussing on, particularly what each individual section should focus on. :confused:

Thanks,
Original post by a7kk
I am in desperate need of help with my AH dissertation, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The novels I am studying are; 'The Handmaids Tale' by Margaret Atwood, '1984' by George Orwell and 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. My aim is to discuss how the characters are affected by their societies but I have no idea what i should be mainly focussing on, particularly what each individual section should focus on. :confused:

Thanks,

Well, although I've only read 'The Handmaid's Tale', I would mainly focus on how individuality is suppressed by the respective societies... Discuss the means by which the state controls its people (could possibly focus on gender relations in 'The Handmaid's Tale' here) and the detrimental (or otherwise) effect this oppression has on the individuals at the center of each novel, and society as a whole.
Any tips on cutting words? Mine's a thousand too long and I'm going insane trying to cut it. Each word is like my baby, this **** took time I don't want to just...fling it!
Original post by cool_side_of_the_pillow
Any tips on cutting words? Mine's a thousand too long and I'm going insane trying to cut it. Each word is like my baby, this **** took time I don't want to just...fling it!

If you can make a statement or analysis more concise, then that should help with cutting down the word count. Also make sure you cut out points that are not important or points that you've said differently, but have repeated before.
Original post by Madjackismad
If you can make a statement or analysis more concise, then that should help with cutting down the word count. Also make sure you cut out points that are not important or points that you've said differently, but have repeated before.

Thank you :smile: I'll try that.
Original post by cool_side_of_the_pillow

welcome to English

now isn't the time to get attached to individual words

we're at Sophie's choice, bitch

If you haven't drafted your work repeatedly it'll inevitably contain repetition. If there's anything that even vaguely appears to be reiterating a point you've already made, chuck it. The examiner doesn't have a short term memory.

Anything fancy that can be condensed into less words without losing its meaning can go. Long quotations can be cut down to their essence. Do away with any unneeded parts in a quotation; start using omission - like this: [...] - liberally.

If your introduction includes anything irrelevant (shakespearz cat was called Jim it was cute i like cats), bin it. There's no need for the historical preamble so many people start essays with.

If you're really desperate, see if there's anywhere you can add contractions. "Do not" is now "don't". "Has not" is now "hasn't". No one cares, just do it.

Godspeed.
Original post by Pedrobear
welcome to English

If you haven't drafted your work repeatedly it'll inevitably contain repetition. If there's anything that even vaguely appears to be reiterating a point you've already made, chuck it. The examiner doesn't have a short term memory.

Anything fancy that can be condensed into less words without losing its meaning can go. Long quotations can be cut down to their essence. Do away with any unneeded parts in a quotation; start using omission - like this: [...] - liberally.

If your introduction includes anything irrelevant (shakespearz cat was called Jim it was cute i like cats), bin it. There's no need for the historical preamble so many people start essays with.

If you're really desperate, see if there's anywhere you can add contractions. "Do not" is now "don't". "Has not" is now "hasn't". No one cares, just do it.

Godspeed.

I LOVE your no nonsense approach. This bitch is getting cut :P
Original post by Pedrobear
welcome to English

Godspeed.

Tautology. :colonhash: Get back on the thread you so dramatically quit. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending