The Student Room Group

The Official English Personal Study / Dissertation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deeena
I'm doing 3 books by Solzhenitsyn, which I guess is a bit of a task haha I'm really enjoying it though :smile: how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit of a theatre geek so plays were always a MUST!
"The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" by Stephen Adly Giurgis and "Angels In America" parts one and two by Tony Kushner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1001
some guy in my class finished his last week :O and puts the rest of us in shame
Reply 1002
Original post by Deeena
Has anyone actually started writing yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In our school, we started doing dissertations roughly two months ago, I'm nearly half way through mines
Reply 1003
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
I'm a bit of a theatre geek so plays were always a MUST!
"The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" by Stephen Adly Giurgis and "Angels In America" parts one and two by Tony Kushner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the complete opposite haha, not a big fan of plays at all. Are they religious themed ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deeena
I'm the complete opposite haha, not a big fan of plays at all. Are they religious themed ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, though both are absolutely hilarious. I defy anyone to read either and not cry with laughter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1005
I am writing a dissertation on Hamlet and King Lear and i'm really struggling xx :eek:
Reply 1006
Hello,
I am trying to come up with a plan for my Advanced Higher English essay on birdsong and all quiet on the western front and I am really struggling! Unfortunately my teacher hasn't been the best help, so I'm not sure how to sort out my paragraphs and what to put in them. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any help on any aspect of the dissertation as I am feeling stuck
I am doing my dissertation on how religion can control and influence and how people twist it to suit there own ideas. I already have Whit by Iain banks and The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson but I need another one that is different than those 2. Any ideas ?
Original post by grehamilton
I am doing my dissertation on how religion can control and influence and how people twist it to suit there own ideas. I already have Whit by Iain banks and The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson but I need another one that is different than those 2. Any ideas ?

If you can't think of a third you could always just do two texts?
Thinking of Les Mis and Dorian Gray, looking at maybe the duality of man as portrayed by the two protagonists and how their fate is determined by influence from other characters comparing the road to redemption and the descent into sin. Not sure how I'd word the question, but at least I have a line of thought for now:')
Doing my dissertation on The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S Lewis and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman just wondering if anyone has any ideas about whether to approach it by highlighting the characters or the plot ? Theme is the portrayal of sin
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by turkasaurus
Doing my dissertation on The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S Lewis and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman just wondering if anyone has any ideas about whether to approach it by highlighting the characters or the plot ? Theme is the portrayal of sin

What's your essay question? Highlight either the plot or the theme as long as it answers the essay question.
Original post by Quick-use
What's your essay question? Highlight either the plot or the theme as long as it answers the essay question.

It's not an essay but, it's a dissertation so there's no question
Original post by turkasaurus
It's not an essay but, it's a dissertation so there's no question

Is this for Advanced Higher English? If so, has Advanced Higher English changed in the past few years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending