The Student Room Group

Medical Talks Ideas

Hi,

I’m currently a year 12 student studying for my A Levels and an aspiring medic, however have not been able to get hold of work experience after months of searching and hard work and effort as all the placements had to be cancelled cos of covid-19.

Instead I have made the decision to deliver a talk/presentation to the RSM (Royal Society of Medicine) in an online zoom webinar. They are offering a number of webinars with lots of doctors involved including some well known medical authors eg Henry Marsh.

Most of the time doctors and consultants usually join these webinars so I have NO CLUE on what to deliver my talk on???? It has to be something which will entice doctors to come and watch but also something that they don’t know about which I am able to research?? Anyone have any ideas??????? Kudos to those who come up with good titles?????

Thanks!!!

Scroll to see replies

As I biomedical engineering student I'd naturally go for something about the ways in which technology is changing medicine
What are your interests in medicine? What's something you've recently heard about you'd like to look into? Maybe then people can advise on how easy that would be to research or something interesting in that field.

I can give you like 5 things I'd think about doing but they'd be focused on my interests really :tongue:

Also, well done - this sounds like a really interesting thing to do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sachinihimara
As I biomedical engineering student I'd naturally go for something about the ways in which technology is changing medicine

thanks! altho i cant say ive had any experience as the consultants are the ones who work with tech on a daily basis like some urologists with keyhole surgery so i need something that i can research and that docs cant answer for themselves but something theyre wanting to join in the webinar, i was thinking is it oarents or docs decision to turn life support off for a baby but i feel thats too controversial and the docs will hate me by the end of it and be like well u dont know anything abt being a doc so u cant asnwer
Original post by ammywammy
thanks! altho i cant say ive had any experience as the consultants are the ones who work with tech on a daily basis like some urologists with keyhole surgery so i need something that i can research and that docs cant answer for themselves but something theyre wanting to join in the webinar, i was thinking is it oarents or docs decision to turn life support off for a baby but i feel thats too controversial and the docs will hate me by the end of it and be like well u dont know anything abt being a doc so u cant asnwer

Original post by becausethenight
What are your interests in medicine? What's something you've recently heard about you'd like to look into? Maybe then people can advise on how easy that would be to research or something interesting in that field.

I can give you like 5 things I'd think about doing but they'd be focused on my interests really :tongue:

It's definitely more tailored to my interests but things like artificial organs and wearable medical tech would interest doctors without being under their specific knowledge areas
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5

thank you, i have no prev experience i mean i wanna compeltely avoid covid-19 cos thats like everywhere in the media and news, i just need a topic which i can write on my personal statements which will make admissions be like woww!! and something doctors dont hate me for ahah as i mentioned above, i do biology, chemistry, geography and french for a levels: i guess i like global health as a link between med and geog buy i have no clue!!!!
Reply 6
Original post by sachinihimara
It's definitely more tailored to my interests but things like artificial organs and wearable tech would interest doctors without being under their specific knowledge areas

ah okay! i see where ur going i like the idea of perhaps looking into fitbits and apple watches etc and seeing how accurate they are perhaps
Reply 7
i’d also like to do my own research, so just the other week i gave a talk to my peers on «*should self inflicted illnesses be treated by the nhs*» and conducted a survey with a mixture of general public and healthcare professionals inc doctors
thank you, i have no prev experience i mean i wanna compeltely avoid covid-19 cos thats like everywhere in the media and news, i just need a topic which i can write on my personal statements which will make admissions be like woww!! and something doctors dont hate me for ahah as i mentioned above, i do biology, chemistry, geography and french for a levels: i guess i like global health as a link between med and geog buy i have no clue!!!!

If we're thinking about global health and medtech: what about AI and big data in medicine?
i’d also like to do my own research, so just the other week i gave a talk to my peers on «*should self inflicted illnesses be treated by the nhs*» and conducted a survey with a mixture of general public and healthcare professionals inc doctors

That would be brilliant imo, it's a topic you know well nd can conduct further research into

This is a good choice!
any other ideas??
i could re do the topic but i kind of want all my peers to also watch this rsm webinar including my teacher cos basicaly i did the talk last week in a session we have in school called medical society
Just wanted to say that this sounds like a really useful and impressive idea from you, and that some of the other ideas on this thread around technology sounds like a brilliant subject to discuss!

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
any other ideas??

Alongside the self-inflicted idea, you could always expand that to think about issues like infertility, cosmetic surgery etc where there’s less immediate medical need?
(edited 3 years ago)
Alongside the self-inflicted idea, you could always expand that to think about issues like infertility, plastic surgery etc where there’s less immediate medical need?

Which areas of Plastic Surgery which are currently available on the NHS do you believe shouldn't be? Or are you referring to Cosmetic Surgery, which generally isn't available except under very specific criteria?
Original post by Letournel
Which areas of Plastic Surgery which are currently available on the NHS do you believe shouldn't be? Or are you referring to Cosmetic Surgery, which generally isn't available except under very specific criteria?

Sorry, yes I meant cosmetic surgery :smile: Slip of the keyboard, fixed now.
Sorry, yes I meant cosmetic surgery :smile: Slip of the keyboard, fixed now.

thank you, issue is tho if i start demanding and saying yeh that should be treated by the nhs and that shoudnt i feel like docs will come for me and say well ur not a doctor you dont kneo what its like
thank you, issue is tho if i start demanding and saying yeh that should be treated by the nhs and that shoudnt i feel like docs will come for me and say well ur not a doctor you dont kneo what its like

I mean that topic has been debated for years. There is no answer and the list of things (not cosmetic but new expensive treatments such as new drugs coming on the market) is ever growing and the nhs budget isn’t following suit.

The bugger question is how do we pay for covid? How do we catch up. The money making procedures (things like endoscopy) will be severely limited. The bill is growing. What do we sacrifice? Or do we just crawl further into debt and hope the government doesn’t sacrifice the nhs in the future.
Some particular things I found interest in are the use of artificial intelligence in cancer identification, cancer genes and the approaches to treatment for those at high risk (it's very drastic i.e. mastectomy/hysterectomy so I looked into research about 'switching off' the BRCA1/2 mutations). Another option is to find a rare condition that you're particularly interested in (NORD has a database of all rare diseases) and looking into the diagnosis/treatment etc (and if it's a super rare disease the docs who come to watch are unlikely to know much about it.

Hope that helps!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest