adichemist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone,
Couldn't find a thread for prospective 2021 chemists, so I thought I'd set one up.

A few questions :
Who is planning to do chemistry?
Why do you want to do chemistry?
What is your favourite area of Chemistry?
What A levels are you doing?
Which universities are you going to apply to?
adichemist
Rep:
?
I will be applying to do a Masters degree in chemistry
I want to do chemistry as it is the central, and in my opinion the most important, science, I just find it so interesting and I would love a PhD and a career in research.
My favourite area of chemistry is definitely organic mechanisms and reactions of alkenes, although I did enjoy energetics and redox quite a bit. Have only studied up to AS level so far , so yet to see what's good in Y13!
Im studying A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
I am thinking of York, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham (to meet the great Martyn Poliakoff from periodic videos, if you don't watch you're defo missing out), Sheffield as I get a reduced offer there thanks to their Discover STEM outreach programme and then maybe Newcastle or loughborough! I know that's more than 5 so I'll have to cut the list down after open days
Last edited by adichemist; 4 months ago
carilloyd1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m planning on applying for a masters degree in chemistry too.
I’ve chosen chemistry as I just love it. It’s the building blocks of all science and is fascinating. Yes there’s an aspect of remembering facts but it all just makes sense and fits together nicely.
I haven’t started A2 yet properly, yet I would say my favourite area is organics, but I enjoy calculations too.
I’m doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics. I haven’t decided but I’ll probably drop physics in September (i’m doing the wjec spec).
I haven’t decided on my 5 universities yet, but I’m looking at Bath, Exeter, Nottingham, Birmingham and Durham.

Does anyone know how I can boost my personal statement, like wider reading or online work experience opportunities while in lockdown? I’m stuck haha
Last edited by carilloyd1; 4 months ago
adichemist
Rep:
?
(Original post by carilloyd1)
I’m planning on applying for a masters degree in chemistry too.
I’ve chosen chemistry as I just love it. It’s the building blocks of all science and is fascinating. Yes there’s an aspect of remembering facts but it all just makes sense and fits together nicely.
I haven’t started A2 yet properly, yet I would say my favourite area is organics, but I enjoy calculations too.
I’m doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics. I haven’t decided but I’ll probably drop physics in September (i’m doing the wjec spec).
I haven’t decided on my 5 universities yet, but I’m looking at Bath, Exeter, Nottingham, Birmingham and Durham.

Does anyone know how I can boost my personal statement, like wider reading or online work experience opportunities while in lockdown? I’m stuck haha
Awesome that's great to hear.
To boost my personal statement and just so id have something to talk about in my interviews, Ive purchased 3 books from eBay. A biochemistry degree textbook, and introduction to medicinal chemistry and then an introduction to organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. They're usually like 50 pound each, but I've bought all 3 from eBay for 20 quid.

Nottingham as well lol. You going to the open day?
carilloyd1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Barghy2)
Awesome that's great to hear.
To boost my personal statement and just so id have something to talk about in my interviews, Ive purchased 3 books from eBay. A biochemistry degree textbook, and introduction to medicinal chemistry and then an introduction to organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. They're usually like 50 pound each, but I've bought all 3 from eBay for 20 quid.

Nottingham as well lol. You going to the open day?
That's a good idea! Thanks for the help, I've heard of people doing ridiculous stuff like month-long research projects. I've registered for the online open day and hopefully I can go for myself before I get my application in!
alannah66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm planning to apply for MChem, hopefully with an international research placement depending on where I'm accepted.
I want to study Chemistry as it underpins all the other sciences and, in my opinion, is the most versatile science with the greatest potential for further research.
My favourite area of Chemistry is organic, specifically pharmacodynamics: I'm doing an EPQ on hallucinogenic drugs.
I currently study Chemistry, Physics and Maths and am predicted A*A*A respectively.
I'm applying to Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Manchester and St Andrews.
LastBench
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm planning to apply for MChem with year abroad. I want to study chem as I find it the most fundamental science and love how it underpins almost everything around us. I'm studying Maths,bio and chem and predicted A*A*A. I'm planning to apply to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, York.
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LastBench)
I'm planning to apply for MChem with year abroad. I want to study chem as I find it the most fundamental science and love how it underpins almost everything around us. I'm studying Maths,bio and chem and predicted A*A*A. I'm planning to apply to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, York.
I'm thinking about doing a year abroad and studying at York uni. Would love to study in Japan or the USA for a year. I'm doing the same A levels just Geography instead of Bio.
adichemist
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Freddy krueger)
I'm thinking about doing a year abroad and studying at York uni. Would love to study in Japan or the USA for a year. I'm doing the same A levels just Geography instead of Bio.
Have you been doing the York Uni future learn course? It's awesome and they give you a reduced offer!
Lifestoolong
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have you been doing the York Uni future learn course? It's awesome and they give you a reduced offer!
Thanks for that! Where did you hear you get a reduced offer?!
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it. I've just read a little bit about it - sounds really interesting. Is it watching videos and doing work on the topics? I might try the free one.
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone,
Couldn't find a thread for prospective 2021 chemists, so I thought I'd set one up.

A few questions :
Who is planning to do chemistry?
Why do you want to do chemistry?
What is your favourite area of Chemistry?
What A levels are you doing?
Which universities are you going to apply
I want to do Chemistry or Forensic Science - possibly Geology/Geography. Chemistry is just fascinating and is all around us. I love learning about applied Chemistry. For example, I read the what Chemicals are in drinks and household products e.t.c. I remember reading the back of a bleach bottle once and discovering what NaClO is - pretty sad but it's astonishing. Favourite area is Organic; there are endless combinations of organic molecules, but it all the millions of possibilities revolve around one thing: carbon. Walter White's lesson on carbon in breaking bad sums it up perfectly. A lvls: Chemistry, Maths, Geography. Universities: I live in the east midlands so I'm close to Nottingham, Loughborough, Sheffield and Manchester. But I'd love to move away and go to York, Liverpool or Durham because I love the north. Just thought I'd respond to the actual thread.
adichemist
Rep:
?
I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it. I've just read a little bit about it - sounds really interesting. Is it watching videos and doing work on the topics? I might try the free one.
Yeah it’s really good. There’s no point payin tho
adichemist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lifestoolong)
Thanks for that! Where did you hear you get a reduced offer?!
https://www.york.ac.uk/chemistry/und...wp-initiative/
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh no I'm not being ripped off - I'm doing the free one.
adichemist
Rep:
?
Oh no I'm not being ripped off - I'm doing the free one.
Hahahahahaha I’m just doing the free one, all you get is a certificate and it’s 52 quid! So not worth it. Also make sure to read the conditions of the reduced offer Cus they’re very specific
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hahahahahaha I’m just doing the free one, all you get is a certificate and it’s 52 quid! So not worth it. Also make sure to read the conditions of the reduced offer Cus they’re very specific
Can you get a reduced offer by doing the free futurelearn course then? I've looked at contextual offers at York and they seem to be more strict than other places. A lot of places will give a contextual offer if you attend a poorly performing state school. For example my school is on the list of poorly performing state schools and I'm from a pretty low income family, but this isn't included in the contextual offer for York. Thanks for letting me know about all this by the way; you're much more useful than my school who doesn't aware us of anything like this.
adichemist
Rep:
?
Can you get a reduced offer by doing the free futurelearn course then? I've looked at contextual offers at York and they seem to be more strict than other places. A lot of places will give a contextual offer if you attend a poorly performing state school. For example my school is on the list of poorly performing state schools and I'm from a pretty low income family, but this isn't included in the contextual offer for York. Thanks for letting me know about all this by the way; you're much more useful than my school who doesn't aware us of anything like this.
So with the york reduced offer, you have to complete the MOOC, do at least one experiment a week and then take part in the discussions. You've also got to complete this question sheet and email it to them. Then you have to live in a POLAR3 1-2 deprived area so it's all based off your postcode that part, not your sixth form. But there might be other reduced offers which take into account your school, although I'm not sure ill have to look into it more for you and post it on here
Freddy krueger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ok. Thanks for your help.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh hi everyone :hi:
I will post to watch, I am a current chemistry student at the university of southampton and am just going into my 4th year of 4 :zomg:
feel free to quote me if you have any questions about a chemistry degree etc. will be happy to help
Best of luck with your applications!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
15.42%
I'm not sure (8)
3.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (83)
36.56%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.76%
I'm not a current university student (97)
42.73%

Watched Threads