Lolhehe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just looking for some insight into how lectures work in uni.
Like do u have to constantly take notes and if so would it be best on paper, laptop, iPad???
Thank you

her0ndales
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for most courses you’d probably have to take some notes at least, depending on your lecturer sometimes a lot of the information will be on the slides, but you are expected to take notes on the key points of the lectures yes, whether you use paper or a computer is completely personal, usually whichever one you think you can do quicker is the better option! (:
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if the lecturer gives you notes, it's possible to get away with less writing (because you've got some/most of the content and only need to annotate) but at the expense of slightly harder revision (imo) because what you've not written is harder to remember first time

i use paper and pen because my notes involve equations and diagrams which are quicker hand written. i guess a tablet + stylus would be acceptable here but why spend the money. equally, switching on a laptop is more time consuming which is helpful if you're late and its less convenient if you need to worry about a charger

if all you need is standard word processing (i'd assume a typical arts subject like history) then a laptop is fine and if you benefit from researching stuff/having the powerpoint open in another window then it's probably beneficial
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
resea4rch has consistently shown that understanding and recall is better if notes are handwritten, but what it doesn't say is when notes need to be handwritten. You could use a laptop then do some handwriting later to aid absorption
Lolhehe
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
if the lecturer gives you notes, it's possible to get away with less writing (because you've got some/most of the content and only need to annotate) but at the expense of slightly harder revision (imo) because what you've not written is harder to remember first time

i use paper and pen because my notes involve equations and diagrams which are quicker hand written. i guess a tablet + stylus would be acceptable here but why spend the money. equally, switching on a laptop is more time consuming which is helpful if you're late and its less convenient if you need to worry about a charger

if all you need is standard word processing (i'd assume a typical arts subject like history) then a laptop is fine and if you benefit from researching stuff/having the powerpoint open in another window then it's probably beneficial
What do you study ?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lolhehe)

What do you study ?
ppe, major in economics
would probably have more writing if i studied more of phil/pol
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I print the lecture slides ahead of the lecture and then hand write onto those, works best for me. So all notes in a file rather than on a laptop.
Lolhehe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I print the lecture slides ahead of the lecture and then hand write onto those, works best for me. So all notes in a file rather than on a laptop.
Oooo that’s a good idea thank you
Lolhehe
Rep:
?
ppe, major in economics
ppe, major in economics
What do you think is best if I want to study in the field of biology??
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lots of people take in laptops, my course (Education) isn't very keen on iPads or Phones and people take notes as well, but a lot of the slides are now posted online
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.23%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.59%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (67)
21.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
9.94%
I haven't started researching yet (31)
9.94%

Watched Threads