The Student Room Group

Help???

For background information, I had really bad dyslexia and anxiety disorder. I am currently studying a foundation degree in game design. However, I am suspected of being autistic by a mental health professional (I am still in the process of trying to get a diagnosis) but I also suspect that I may have adhd/add (told my mum and she think it comes up on the diagnosis process of being assessed for autism). I am currently struggling to keep on top of my assignment due to being in lockdown and not having the right equipment to handle everything. My parents are unsupportive and are controlling, I want to do a degree at Staffordshire but my parents didn't want me to go.

I have been rejected both by hull and Leeds due to the fact my tutor refuses to give me my predicted grade. Sheffield Hallam has accepted me but I need to achieve a merit grade in order to be accepted into their course. I want to move to Sheffield Hallam but I don't think I will be able to achieve a merit grade. I can try to go through clearing however I don't think student finance will be able to give me the funds to study for three years as well as live by myself (I already took out a loan on my foundation degree). Would it be better for me to go through clearing? I already cry about this all day because I want to move out of my home. I thought about calling Sheffield Hallam and ask for help but I don't know what else I can do.
Why won’t they let you go Staffordshire? It’s one of if not the highest rated in the country for games design... have you told them this? They’re also quite lenient with grades from what I’ve seen.

Why does your tutor refuse to give you a predicted? And is this at college or uni you’re doing this foundation degree? Either way I’d speak to someone higher up about this if it’s effecting your chances at getting a place at Uni.

If it’s your first time studying at uni you’ll get finance (even with a foundation year) so don’t worry about that. You could get a job too, there’s many that are suited for people with anxiety.

If you’re struggling to get your work done due to mental illness / dyslexia then you should be seeking help from your college / sixth form / uni, they should be able to help or give you extra time etc.

Don’t wait for clearing, if nothing else find out what you can do now so you are ready when clearing comes around.
Original post by Jess.1819
Why won’t they let you go Staffordshire? It’s one of if not the highest rated in the country for games design... have you told them this? They’re also quite lenient with grades from what I’ve seen.

Why does your tutor refuse to give you a predicted? And is this at college or uni you’re doing this foundation degree? Either way I’d speak to someone higher up about this if it’s effecting your chances at getting a place at Uni.

If it’s your first time studying at uni you’ll get finance (even with a foundation year) so don’t worry about that. You could get a job too, there’s many that are suited for people with anxiety.

If you’re struggling to get your work done due to mental illness / dyslexia then you should be seeking help from your college / sixth form / uni, they should be able to help or give you extra time etc.

Don’t wait for clearing, if nothing else find out what you can do now so you are ready when clearing comes around.

My mum would let me go because of how bad my mental health is, I live in the Yorkshire area so it would mean moving to Staffordshire. As during that time, I would have regular suicide thoughts/ suicidal tendencies. My parents did not want to move out of the house they kept saying how bad it would be if I move out.

I don't know why my tutor refuses he just said he needs the assignment so he can mark my grade. I email the disability adviser about this issue
so I am waiting to get back because I am thinking of making a complaint to the university.

Thanks, I thought the maximum loan I could take was £50,000. I am looking for a job however I more focus on university at the moment.

I do get help from my study mentor and study skill support but unfortunately, I still struggle with these current issues as I struggle to understand the assignment brief. I don't have any exam which is a plus cause I suck at exam. I am referred to be assessed for autism but it going to take a three year (and maybe a month due to referral being on hold due to lockdown).

Right now I am trying to finish my degree so I can at least past my course.
Original post by Currrentlysad
My mum would let me go because of how bad my mental health is, I live in the Yorkshire area so it would mean moving to Staffordshire. As during that time, I would have regular suicide thoughts/ suicidal tendencies. My parents did not want to move out of the house they kept saying how bad it would be if I move out.

I don't know why my tutor refuses he just said he needs the assignment so he can mark my grade. I email the disability adviser about this issue
so I am waiting to get back because I am thinking of making a complaint to the university.

Thanks, I thought the maximum loan I could take was £50,000. I am looking for a job however I more focus on university at the moment.

I do get help from my study mentor and study skill support but unfortunately, I still struggle with these current issues as I struggle to understand the assignment brief. I don't have any exam which is a plus cause I suck at exam. I am referred to be assessed for autism but it going to take a three year (and maybe a month due to referral being on hold due to lockdown).

Right now I am trying to finish my degree so I can at least past my course.

If living at home is making you miserable and Staffordshire is the place you want to go, you should be following that dream, your parents point is valid in that they just want you to be safe but if you’re miserable now and think you would cope better living by yourself then that’s the way to go, you should have a discussion with them about how living at home is making you miserable and Staffordshire is your dream, there’s always methods they can check up on you, scheduled calls etc. And i’m sure they could organise someone at the university to keep an eye on you if you’re feeling suicidal.

You should definitely complain about that, doesn’t seem fair to me but idk your situation.
For background information, I had really bad dyslexia and anxiety disorder. I am currently studying a foundation degree in game design. However, I am suspected of being autistic by a mental health professional (I am still in the process of trying to get a diagnosis) but I also suspect that I may have adhd/add (told my mum and she think it comes up on the diagnosis process of being assessed for autism). I am currently struggling to keep on top of my assignment due to being in lockdown and not having the right equipment to handle everything. My parents are unsupportive and are controlling, I want to do a degree at Staffordshire but my parents didn't want me to go.

I have been rejected both by hull and Leeds due to the fact my tutor refuses to give me my predicted grade. Sheffield Hallam has accepted me but I need to achieve a merit grade in order to be accepted into their course. I want to move to Sheffield Hallam but I don't think I will be able to achieve a merit grade. I can try to go through clearing however I don't think student finance will be able to give me the funds to study for three years as well as live by myself (I already took out a loan on my foundation degree). Would it be better for me to go through clearing? I already cry about this all day because I want to move out of my home. I thought about calling Sheffield Hallam and ask for help but I don't know what else I can do.

Hi @Currentlysad,
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through a tough time.
Firstly, don’t feel alone - going to University is a worrying time for a lot of people at Staffs, we have an excellent student support team and if you want to speak to them about making the transition to university (whether you decide to come here or not) or want to talk through any specific worries you or your parents may have about university then please just send us a DM and we can connect you.

I'm also tagging in @Sheffield Hallam University, just incase they haven't seen your post, as i'm sure they'd be more than happy to arrange for you to talk to someone at their University too. :smile:

I really hope you start feeling better soon, and hopefully speaking to someone might clear up some of your worries about funding and grades.

^HB

Hi @Currrentlysad,

I am really sorry to hear that you a struggling during lockdown - it's getting to the best of us so don't worry, you're not alone in this!

In terms of student finance, if you have only studied a foundation year, you will still have access to 3 years of student finance for your course - a lot of people study a foundation year first so that's why the allow room to complete an undergraduate course supported by student fiance after your foundation degree. You can find more about student finance eligibility on their webpage or @Student Finance England may be able to give you some clarification. :h:

Congratulations on your offer to study with us :jive: If you are struggling to complete your assignment at home, reach out to your tutor, or if you feel that they are not supportive, I would try to speak to someone else at your school/college to see how they can help you with your work and achieving a merit. We have a brilliant Disability Support Service who will give you plenty of support when you get here, you can find more about this on our webpage. If you are looking to talk to someone from the university about your current situation and how we can support you, please contact Hallam Help on [email protected] or call 0114 225 2222 (Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm Fri 9am 4:45pm, voicemail at other times). Due to remote working It could take up to 3 working days for us to reply.

Let me know if you have any questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield, I am more than happy to help! I hope we can help you to start to feel better about the situation, stay positive!

- Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending