The Student Room Group

Computer Science + GDL/SQE after 2021

Hi everyone, hope you are all safe.

I love being a Computer Science student and I also like the vast opportunities out there for CS graduates, but I need a bit more of a challenge.

I want to work in the criminal sector, possibly with the police, in the cyber-security field, or as a solicitor helping hackers stays out of jail /s.

I know my knowledge of Computer Science in itself is already a good skill to possess but I have always wanted to study law. So, I am considering doing the GDL/SQE route after I graduate but it comes with a few questions and worries. I am worried I will dilute my skills and become a "jack of all trades, master of none". I have a few questions for anyone willing to help me.

I know for sure I want to become a solicitor, but I want to know what areas of practice are there that complement both CS and LAW.

My questions are:
- Has anyone done the GDL after Computer Science?
- What are you doing now?
- What areas of practice are there that complement both CS and LAW?

Appreciate your help.
Hi, I moved your thread to a more relevant forum :h: hopefully, people with more knowledge will see this better
Reply 2
@PetitePanda Thanks, that's very kind 😄
Original post by elecEng
I want to work in the criminal sector, possibly with the police, in the cyber-security field, or as a solicitor helping hackers stays out of jail /s.

[...]

I am worried I will dilute my skills and become a "jack of all trades, master of none". I have a few questions for anyone willing to help me.

[...]

- What areas of practice are there that complement both CS and LAW?

Working with the police will largely be imaging hard drives & phones, searching their contents, copying USB sticks and writing short statements about what you did. Working with the NCA/GCHQ/MI5/MI6 may be more interesting but, especially with the last three, you may end up in a North Face bag in a bathtub. You don't really get that many hackers being arrested. You tend to get a lot of paedophiles, but their downloading is never sophisticated.

Don't see why a "jack of all trades" would be a problem in these circumstances.

As a solicitor? Not many. There is marketing rubbish all over the place about smart contracts but that's still a few years(/decades?) off, there is some use of AI in document reviewing but I don't imagine the solicitors themselves would have much to do with that and there are lawyers who need to review contracts for SaaS etc. but that's probably as fun as it sounds. You could also try and get a general counsel job at a tech firm, but that would still be largely dealing with contracts, employment litigation, regulatory issues, etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending