The Student Room Group

Why is love such a great deal?

In my honest opinion, I think love is a wasted emotion. Happiness is an illusion, that'll shatter to pieces, eventually. Most people my age are starting relationships and having families, but I'm so bitter about what happened in the past, that I just can't concentrate on anything else. So why is love such a great deal?
Love is something that happens when u like both get each other make each other laugh and u just appreciate that person more than anythinnn
I haven't fallen in love before but ofc its real x
that's a very nihilist viewpoint on life. if you remove love from the equation, you end up with a very unhappy and bitter relationship, if you can even call it that.
I’m inclined to agree with you To an extent, I think only you can truly make yourself happy as people do come and go, that is a fact of life.

Also I think love is made to be such a big think because society and people use all these terms, like “find that special someone” etc, which can make people think and feel that they are a nobody or incomplete without someone to share their life with, which is completely wrong of course. If you rely on someone else for your happiness, then you will have a very sad life
blame the media for over-exaggerations of romantic love
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
I’m inclined to agree with you To an extent, I think only you can truly make yourself happy as people do come and go, that is a fact of life.

Also I think love is made to be such a big think because society and people use all these terms, like “find that special someone” etc, which can make people think and feel that they are a nobody or incomplete without someone to share their life with, which is completely wrong of course. If you rely on someone else for your happiness, then you will have a very sad life

Very deep, yet so true. Only we can make ourselves happy. But I don't agree completely, as most of the time I make myself miserable and rely on alcohol and gambling.
Original post by Anonymous
Very deep, yet so true. Only we can make ourselves happy. But I don't agree completely, as most of the time I make myself miserable and rely on alcohol and gambling.

It’s ikay for you to hurt atm but your fortunes will change at some point, just like others who seem to be having a good time rn will go through a rough point at some time in the future. Who’s to say their boyfriend/girlfriend of 5 years wants out and then their only source of happiness walks away out of their life?

Also, a lot of people in relationships are deeply miserable and hate their lot, misery loves company after all. So don’t be fooled by all the social media posts you see, which glamourise the relationship. Most of the happy and contented people I know don’t splash their photos and feelings all over Facebook, they don’t have anything to prove. Many of those who are miserable (and it loves company lol) seem to always post, like they are proving to themselves and their audience that everything is rosy
I used to feel the same as you until I fell in love with someone, despite him turning out to be a poo, I still saw the great things about love and I do seek that connection. What else do you aspire for? I just think love and something greater is more important than the trivial things in life people care so much about - you know like computer games and all the other entertainment.
Indeed one cannot be happy forever, so we shouldn't expect to be happy forever nor wish for this, sadness makes us appreciate being happy.
What do you aspire for in life? What do you think is important?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending