The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson defended Cummings

Johnson gave a statement about his Chief Adviser, Dominic Cummings, claiming Cummings had acted "responsibly, legally and with integrity". In my opinion that is rather selfish of him, as the rest of us must follow these rules, yet it's perfectly acceptable for members of Parliament to break them.

Scroll to see replies

The amount of attention paid to this issue in the news makes me worry what they're distracting us from!
Reply 2
Of course he did.
The "well he would, wouldn't he?" quote springs to mind. :biggrin:
Original post by londonmyst
The "well he would, wouldn't he?" quote springs to mind. :biggrin:

I suppose he obviously thought it best to defend Cummings, but that still doesn't make his actions right.
Original post by The Lighthouse
I suppose he obviously thought it best to defend Cummings, but that still doesn't make his actions right.

Oh FFS I do wish everyone would get off their high horses about this one, there have been quite a number of politicians flouting the rules yet not a word was spoken about it until it was Mr Cummings ( yes I know not a politician) that was in the spotlight.
I'm not about to defend him just pointing out the hypocrisy of many of the politically charged around such forums as this, where was the faux outrage when Stephen Kinnock was visiting his elderly parents during Wales's current lockdown?
Not to mention Ian Blackford's 600 mile trip during the lockdown.
Maybe these interpretations of the rules are only bad if the person is the one who has played a big part in our vote to leave the EU and in recent times our excellent negotiating stance.
Also whilst I'm back on here Gary Lineker is a bin dipping c**t and so are the rest of those celeb arsewipes who can **** off with their patronising views from their ivory towers they do not represent the views of most normal people, just needed to get that off my chest.
Reply 6
Original post by ColinDent
Oh FFS I do wish everyone would get off their high horses about this one, there have been quite a number of politicians flouting the rules yet not a word was spoken about it until it was Mr Cummings ( yes I know not a politician) that was in the spotlight.
I'm not about to defend him just pointing out the hypocrisy of many of the politically charged around such forums as this, where was the faux outrage when Stephen Kinnock was visiting his elderly parents during Wales's current lockdown?
Not to mention Ian Blackford's 600 mile trip during the lockdown.
Maybe these interpretations of the rules are only bad if the person is the one who has played a big part in our vote to leave the EU and in recent times our excellent negotiating stance.
Also whilst I'm back on here Gary Lineker is a bin dipping c**t and so are the rest of those celeb arsewipes who can **** off with their patronising views from their ivory towers they do not represent the views of most normal people, just needed to get that off my chest.

I imagine one of the key differences is they're relatively irrelevent people.. Cummings is in the heights of government and apparently outranks ministers ergo he is bound to cop more flack for flouting lockdown rules.
Although the broad point about them not getting a larger scolding stands.
Mr Johnson could not cope without him, or perhaps Mr Cummings knows something that would cause embarrassment. Mr Johnson has been willing to sack cabinet members, so I cannot think it is cowardice.

Mr Johnson's inactions in February and March have led to many more deaths than should have occurred. If the Tories had chosen Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove, there would have been fewer deaths and a better functioning government. Neither would have had 3,000 people coming from the hotspot of Covid 19 Madrid to a large gathering (football match), for example.

Cutting off journalists asking questions about this shows yet another example of how Mr Johnson seeks to evade scrutiny.
Original post by Napp
I imagine one of the key differences is they're relatively irrelevent people.. Cummings is in the heights of government and apparently outranks ministers ergo he is bound to cop more flack for flouting lockdown rules.
Although the broad point about them not getting a larger scolding stands.

The point being that the whole thing was a relatively minor incident, although it's amazing just how differently the facts can be interpreted!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/28/dominic-cummings-potentially-broke-lockdown-rules-say-durham-police

https://news.sky.com/story/dominic-cummings-durham-police-say-pm-aide-may-have-committed-minor-breach-of-lockdown-rules-11996238

For me the real truth of the matter is that there is still a large enough amount of people, particularly within the MSM, that are hoping to somehow keep us within the EU and removing Dominic Cummings from his position is part 1 of the master plan.
Doesn't appear to be working though.
The point being that the whole thing was a relatively minor incident, although it's amazing just how differently the facts can be interpreted!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/28/dominic-cummings-potentially-broke-lockdown-rules-say-durham-police

https://news.sky.com/story/dominic-cummings-durham-police-say-pm-aide-may-have-committed-minor-breach-of-lockdown-rules-11996238

For me the real truth of the matter is that there is still a large enough amount of people, particularly within the MSM, that are hoping to somehow keep us within the EU and removing Dominic Cummings from his position is part 1 of the master plan.

Think it's more the case:

We got screwed over by the dirty tactics of the the leave-EU brigade. And now are supposed to live with it.

We got screwed over by the the slander, lies, distrotions and misrepresentation by the Tories in the elections, and are now supposed to "come together" with the perpetrators.

One of the the chief architects of these divisive, manipulative methodologies is Dominic Cummings. And he throws it in our faces. If he'd just said "sorry", this would all have been over long ago and the focus would be back on Covid. I'm glad he didn't - the country should put the spotlight on what he's done.

Political memory is generally short lived - maybe this will wake people up a little to what's been done to them.

And before you all come out with it: "Free Speech" and "Faux Outrage" - oops beat me to it with the last one.

Gosh, that really was quite satisfying! Just a shame everything will carry on as business as usual, evil will triumph, and we're all going to hell.
Original post by ghostwalker
Think it's more the case:

We got screwed over by the dirty tactics of the the leave-EU brigade. And now are supposed to live with it.

We got screwed over by the the slander, lies, distrotions and misrepresentation by the Tories in the elections, and are now supposed to "come together" with the perpetrators.

One of the the chief architects of these divisive, manipulative methodologies is Dominic Cummings. And he throws it in our faces. If he'd just said "sorry", this would all have been over long ago and the focus would be back on Covid. I'm glad he didn't - the country should put the spotlight on what he's done.

Political memory is generally short lived - maybe this will wake people up a little to what's been done to them.

And before you all come out with it: "Free Speech" and "Faux Outrage" - oops beat me to it with the last one.

Gosh, that really was quite satisfying! Just a shame everything will carry on as business as usual, evil will triumph, and we're all going to hell.

The dirty tactics of the EU brigade?
That didn't happen.
As far as the rest of what you posted is concerned, all just your opinion I'm afraid old chap.
The dirty tactics of the EU brigade?
That didn't happen.
As far as the rest of what you posted is concerned, all just your opinion I'm afraid old chap.

And so it continues.
And so it continues.

Care to elucidate?
And so it continues.

Further to my last post I guess not, just just churning out meaningless propaganda then?
Reply 14

For me the real truth of the matter is that there is still a large enough amount of people, partiicularly within the MSM, that are hoping to somehow keep us within the EU and removing Dominic Cummings from his position is part 1 of the master plan.

I respect your posts on here but think you have this one wrong.

It's not about Brexit. Indeed over 50% of Brexiters thought he should resign, when polled. Lots of very high profile Brexiters and Conservatives have spoken out against him. I mean first out the traps was Steve Baker, chair of the ERG. And even on stations such as LBC, caller after caller who said they voted tory and leave, were furious.

It's about hypocrisy. He helped write the rules and he then flouted them. And the lies and pathetic defence of him has really grated with people. Don't underestimate how angry people were and don't try and make out it was about Brexit. It wasn't.

I mean, a 60 mile round trip with his family to test his eyes? If there's one thing that people don't like, it's having their intelligence insulted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

It's not about Brexit. Indeed over 50% of Brexiters thought he should resign, when polled. Lots of very high profile Brexiters and Conservatives have spoken out against him. I mean first out the traps was Steve Baker, chair of the ERG. And even on stations such as LBC, caller after caller who said they voted tory and leave, were furious.

It's about hypocrisy. He helped write the rules and he then flouted them. And the lies and pathetic defence of him has really grated with people. Don't underestimate how angry people were and don't try and make out it was about Brexit. It wasn't.

I mean, a 60 mile round trip with his family to test his eyes? If there's one thing that people don't like, it's having their intelligence insulted.

As I've already said I'm not even going to attempt to defend Mr Cummings, but I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy of many in the MSM and indeed on forums such as this with regards the outrage at Mr Cummings and only Mr Cummings.
He is not alone in flouting all the rules, people like Ian Blackford, Jeremy Corbyn and even over the channel President Macron could all have been every bit as guilty of flouting lockdown rules, yet no outrage.
And where is the outpouring of anger towards Mr Barnier and his part in the opening of the Wuhan laboratory at the centre of this whole coronavirus ****storm?
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1286612/Michel-barnier-wuhan-coronavirus-china-lab-EU-news-france-brexit-sars-beijing-latest-spt
And yes I know this is the Express but even they sometimes include some facts, I would use guardian reports but as per my point there aren't any.
It just seems that there is an overbearing emphasis on Mr Cummings relatively minor ( the police have investigated and aren't bringing charges after all) indiscretion, that is beginning to look like a witch hunt.
Original post by DSilva

He didn’t even bother to think of a believable lie because he thinks he’s untouchable. He probably knows where the bodies are buried.
Reply 17
As I've already said I'm not even going to attempt to defend Mr Cummings, but I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy of many in the MSM and indeed on forums such as this with regards the outrage at Mr Cummings and only Mr Cummings.
He is not alone in flouting all the rules, people like Ian Blackford, Jeremy Corbyn and even over the channel President Macron could all have been every bit as guilty of flouting lockdown rules, yet no outrage.
And where is the outpouring of anger towards Mr Barnier and his part in the opening of the Wuhan laboratory at the centre of this whole coronavirus ****storm?
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1286612/Michel-barnier-wuhan-coronavirus-china-lab-EU-news-france-brexit-sars-beijing-latest-spt
And yes I know this is the Express but even they sometimes include some facts, I would use guardian reports but as per my point there aren't any.
It just seems that there is an overbearing emphasis on Mr Cummings relatively minor ( the police have investigated and aren't bringing charges after all) indiscretion, that is beginning to look like a witch hunt.

On your first point, I do think it's a very important factor that Cummings was instrumental in the formarion of these rules in a way that others you listed weren't. It's for that reason Neil Ferguson resigned, as did the Scottish adviser. I think it's completely reasonable and proportional for us to focus more on those at the top of government, than those who are now an irrelevance.

Had Cummings come out, admitted he broke the rules and genuinely and sincerely apologised, people would have been much more forgiving. Sure, some people would have gone for him anyway, but not as many.

It's the lying, double standards and insulting the public's intelligence which has provoked such anger at him, and those in government who have defended him.

Brexit is happening. We're leaving. It's not about that, shown by how many leave voters have spoken out against Cummings over this.
Original post by DSilva
On your first point, I do think it's a very important factor that Cummings was instrumental in the formarion of these rules in a way that others you listed weren't. It's for that reason Neil Ferguson resigned, as did the Scottish adviser. I think it's completely reasonable and proportional for us to focus more on those at the top of government, than those who are now an irrelevance.

Had Cummings come out, admitted he broke the rules and genuinely and sincerely apologised, people would have been much more forgiving. Sure, some people would have gone for him anyway, but not as many.

It's the lying, double standards and insulting the public's intelligence which has provoked such anger at him, and those in government who have defended him.

Brexit is happening. We're leaving. It's not about that, shown by how many leave voters have spoken out against Cummings over this.

And I don't disagree, but double standards are being shown across the board with the other examples I have pointed out and the lack of outrage being shown.
When people on here start arguing that Blackford, Corbyn, Macron and Barnier should all resign then I would take this more seriously, until that point it is hypocrisy on a grand scale.
Reply 19
And I don't disagree, but double standards are being shown across the board with the other examples I have pointed out and the lack of outrage being shown.
When people on here start arguing that Blackford, Corbyn, Macron and Barnier should all resign then I would take this more seriously, until that point it is hypocrisy on a grand scale.

Macron and Barnier are not UK politicians so it would be strange for people in the UK to call on them to resign.

Corbyn is a backbencher. What can he actually reisgn from? In any event, if he were PM and breached the lockdown that he imposed, people would have cared a lot more.

Quick Reply