The Student Room Group

Dissertation Q

Hey! Just submitted my undergrad dissertation and just realised that my paraphrasing for two sentences was not great (only changed a few words it seems) and seeing as we do not have access to Turnitin, I am not sure whether this will be flagged. Just wanted to know whether anyone had insight into how Turnitin originality reports are reviewed by undergrad examiners?
Reply 1
It probably will be flagged. Did you cite it? If so, no need for concern. If not, it might be raised as a 'be careful' thin. If it is as minor as you say, I can't see there being a big problem
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
It probably will be flagged. Did you cite it? If so, no need for concern. If not, it might be raised as a 'be careful' thin. If it is as minor as you say, I can't see there being a big problem

Thanks for the reply!

Just checked three different sentences, one in my first chapter, and two in my last. The first one is part of a summary of a paper and is cited at the end of a three sentence summary (i.e. Several studies have shown this. Studies have also shown this. Doubt has been cast on these studies (X, 2009)) The X being the citation and the first sentence being the poorly paraphrased one.

The second one I do not seem to have cited correctly. The third one I did reference correctly, but as I said the paraphrasing as not great.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply!

Just checked three different sentences, one in my first chapter, and two in my last. The first one is part of a summary of a paper and is cited at the end of a three sentence summary (i.e. Several studies have shown this. Studies have also shown this. Doubt has been cast on these studies (X, 2009)) The X being the citation and the first sentence being the poorly paraphrased one.

The second one I do not seem to have cited correctly. The third one I did reference correctly, but as I said the paraphrasing as not great.

It sounds to me like it'll be fine, honestly. You might get a comment akin to 'whoops, careful' but its affecting the mark is unlikely and would be harsh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending