The Student Room Group

Teaching or Nursing?

Please help!

I'm due to start Nursing in September fingers crossed... I have chosen the Adults route as I have been working with adults as a HCA... However I am missing working with children and young people A LOT... I think I would make a better Nurse than a Teacher... But I miss working with children with additional needs... I'm almost 30 and I'm fed up of feeling anxious about the future and what choices to make! I just want to feel fulfilled and content :/

I also worry about my future as a Nurse... I worry about never being able to afford my own house... I'm single and may have to financially support myself for the long term!

I have so many anxieties :frown:
Reply 1
you can work as an agency nurse instead of working for the NHS or you could work for private nursing homes
Reply 2
Have you considered looking into Children’s Nursing if you are passionate about working with children?

In terms of your future as a nurse... Nursing is a desirable degree. The vast majority of uni’s have very good employment rates for nursing, because of the shortage of nurses in the UK. So getting a job straight from graduation shouldn’t be much of a problem.
NHS Newly-Qualified Nurses start at the bottom of Band 5 of the Agenda for Change which is £24,907 which will increase as the years go on (to £26,907 after 2-3years experience, £27,416 after 4-5 years experience and £30,615 after 6-7 years & 7yrs+.)
But if you don’t want to stay within Band 5, as soon as you have some experience (usually 18months after qualifying), you are able to apply for Band 6 positions which start at £31,365.
More info about the Agenda for Change: https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pensions-and-reward/agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual
I’m unsure if this suits your financial situation and of course for what we do, nurses deserve a bloody payrise, but it’s in line as far as I’ve seen (if anyone knows otherwise please clarify for me) with most other public sectors including teaching pay grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending