Will linux ever become mainstream?

Watch
coololoolo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I use linux on all my computers and have a kvm/qemu of windows 10 for unsupported software that annoys me and have open source encryption methods etc and only one of my friends uses a linux system. Will normal linux distributions like manjaro, ubuntu or FSF certified distros become mainstream because windows has a terrible file system, awful optimization, practically no customization with their DE unlike KDE, xfce or even gnome which somehow has more and a billion other issues with windows. In my eyes at least, all M$ has is superior driver support and has the largest platform of people and therefore software creators will focus to create a version of their software compatible with first windows and then everyone else. Most linux distros don't really face issues during updating and has the 'it just works' feel and companies like google with their chromeOS is attracting software creators to make a compatible version of their software that works on linux yet most who run it are sys admins, servers for companies of various different sizes, geeks and those with low power computers who might just be looking for a CLI OS or very lightweight GUI OS. I have just realized I have not mentioned MacOS but they aren't exactly a ton better than M$ anyways with their disgusting proprietary garbage, terrible performance most of the time on their computers that barely have 2 IO ports and overheat their CPU to past 90 C making the i9 on their computers perform worse than an i5 and obviously the fact they made it so that it is very difficult (not impossible) to install on a hackintosh let alone any old PC. The only merit I can really give for macOS is that it looks pretty, simple, works with most linux software and just generally very 'apple'. I like how I just turned this into a rant so I probably ended up saying something I shouldn't have said in this though I have skimmed back through to make sure. Basic question is will linux become mainstream and used by the average person (and if so when) or will it always be a niche thing that people do not really care about?
Last edited by coololoolo; 1 year ago
coololoolo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
1) LIbreOffice or openoffice for document editing and video editing https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/ and https://www.tecmint.com/best-image-p...ors-for-linux/ for photo editing but I guess adobe suite is far more advanced and they don't seem to be showing any support any time soon but ok. Bit of a tangent but they aren't giving support for linux but give support on ARM based devices like the ipad like wth .
2) Pretty fair though some other companies have pre-installed linux like system76, purism, zareason, ThinkPC but I guess they aren't huge unless you count major OSs like android or IOS as linux (which they kind of are but not really) for the mobile platform.
3) Seen this come up a lot and unfortunately it is very true. For those new to linux I would suggest one that is debian based and handles issues for them a lot of the time such as ubuntu or popOS or elementary OS and they will be fine almost 100% of the time as long as they do not do anything funny and just press the update button or install button and for them to fully remove useless orphans when needed automatically. But yep. Huge variety and so many options for whatever use factor can be a pro and a con.
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by coololoolo)
1) LIbreOffice or openoffice for document editing and video editing https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/ and https://www.tecmint.com/best-image-p...ors-for-linux/ for photo editing but I guess adobe suite is far more advanced and they don't seem to be showing any support any time soon but ok.
The argument isn't that there aren't any office packages or editing suites available, it's that without big recognisable names it won't gain mainstream appeal. If a regular, non-techy customer walks into a computer store and asks if a laptop has Powerpoint so they can make their work presentations and Internet Explorer so they can carry over their browsing info from their desktop, and the sales rep points at one laptop and says "yes it has those things" then another and says "this one doesn't but there are alternative apps that I promise are just as good", the guy is going to pick up the one that got a "yes" unless the other laptop has something really compelling.

Bit of a tangent but they aren't giving support for linux but give support on ARM based devices like the ipad like wth .
They make substantially more money porting to iOS than they would porting to Linux, it's a fairly simple rationale.
Last edited by username612415; 1 year ago
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
linux is mainstream on the server side.

the closest thing you have on the consumer side is macOS, which is based on a variant of unix. and is arguably quite mainstream.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads