housematehelpls
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Right, so; my parents have gone bankrupt due to this lockdown collapsing their business and so I’m no longer living in student accommodation come September and will be commuting instead.

I was planning to live with my three best-friends in a house, but obviously now that can’t happen. We signed all the paperwork and I’m supposed to be the head tenant. The letting agent are happy for me to pull out if I can find someone my friends are happy with.

The only problem is...they don’t want anyone but me. They’re rich girls and pretty sheltered so I don’t think they understand when I say I literally CAN’T AFFORD the rent, not that I’m deciding I don’t want to for frivolous reasons. I told them and found a new girl but they were so cold with her on a Skype chat that she pulled out of the house. I keep messaging about them needing to help me look too but now they’re ghosting me.

I don’t want to lose them as friends, but I keep thinking that maybe they’re not really my friends after all if they’re refusing to help me look in any way, even though they know my situation. I know I’m not going to be liable for rent because our contract states the only person they’ll go after is my guarantor and of said guarantor (my mum) can’t pay (which is true) then they’ll charge the other three for the missing rent.

Basically, how can I explain the situation without them hating me? I really want to just be friends and have everything go back to normal
ldn7601
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m not sure exactly how to deal with the actual tenancy and contract, but you need to learn those are not your real friends in my opinion. Friends should be understanding at the very least but should show sympathy, it’s a very childish thing to do to put someone off through a Skype call as that girl must’ve felt extremely uncomfortable. I do recommend you contact citizens advice, my mum works there, they could possibly help you out
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by housematehelpls)
Right, so; my parents have gone bankrupt due to this lockdown collapsing their business and so I’m no longer living in student accommodation come September and will be commuting instead.

I was planning to live with my three best-friends in a house, but obviously now that can’t happen. We signed all the paperwork and I’m supposed to be the head tenant. The letting agent are happy for me to pull out if I can find someone my friends are happy with.

The only problem is...they don’t want anyone but me. They’re rich girls and pretty sheltered so I don’t think they understand when I say I literally CAN’T AFFORD the rent, not that I’m deciding I don’t want to for frivolous reasons. I told them and found a new girl but they were so cold with her on a Skype chat that she pulled out of the house. I keep messaging about them needing to help me look too but now they’re ghosting me.

I don’t want to lose them as friends, but I keep thinking that maybe they’re not really my friends after all if they’re refusing to help me look in any way, even though they know my situation. I know I’m not going to be liable for rent because our contract states the only person they’ll go after is my guarantor and of said guarantor (my mum) can’t pay (which is true) then they’ll charge the other three for the missing rent.

Basically, how can I explain the situation without them hating me? I really want to just be friends and have everything go back to normal
Letting agent happy. Tell your friends that if they are happy to pay your rent then you will stay. This is typical of .... And I am guessing ..... private school pupils. Also you seem to be lead tenant so all bills and debts fall to you. Strange that they don't want you to leave.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by housematehelpls)

Hey housematehelpls!

I understand your situation and have been in a similar one myself, in which I withdrew from a contract and found someone to replace me.

I think you need to explain to the other housemates that you simply cannot afford to live there and then explain that as the contract states the rest of the rent will revert to them if your mum can’t pay. Meaning it is in their best interests to agree with someone that you find so that they don’t have to pay your portion of the rent.

Agree with them on a type of person they would like - eg a clean friendly female
Then any person you find who wants to live there and fits their ‘wants’ - you can add to a group chat with them and hopefully they can get to know them and it won’t be so bad.

Also if it helps my agents said that the other tenants had to have a valid reason for not wanting the person to live there - eg they’re racist or homophobic etc (just some examples)
Therefore, ask them what their reasons are for not wanting such and such a person.

I understand how hard this is for you right now, just keep persevering and it will get sorted!
I hope this helps you!
Eloise -Official Student Rep
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They aren’t really your friends and they seem incredibly immature. You’ll find people of more substance in the future. Just look after yourself and make sure you’re completely protected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (42)
25.93%
Unhappy (44)
27.16%
Conflicted (76)
46.91%

Watched Threads