The Student Room Group

Help for chemistry calculations

I'm in the first year of my Alevels and as far as chemistry goes I'd say I'm well off for the most part except for stochiometry.
All those calculations just look intimidating and even after going through the theory multiple times I find myself just staring at them for an hour, I'm pretty good at maths tho just not in chem. What are some reccomendations on good resources for chem calculations or any tips on getting them down?
Honestly just practice. Understand every step and what your answer at every stage actually means. Otherwise you’ll just end up not thinking properly and make easily avoidable mistakes.
Obviously you need to know all the formulae and be able to rearrange them. Start with basic questions and build it up from there. E.g calculating moles from Mr and mass to concentration to titrations.

stochiometry is all about the ratio of different substances. It’s essential to count the number of each element on each side of the equation
Mg + O2 -> MgO
On the left 1 Mg, 2xO while on the right we have one Mg and one O
Since you can’t break down molecules add a 2 infront of the Mg and MgO so there’s 2 of everything on both sides

Quick Reply

Latest