The Student Room Group

Any point in going to a low ranked uni?

Is there any point going uni that's ranked 80th in UK because I feel like it's for people who have failed but not failed miserably. I think employers will not hire me at all and it will be hard to even get a job
Reply 1
Economics - So overrated and common 😭😭😭
No, it all comes down to the individual. An employer would be more likely to hire someone with a 1st class degree with lots of experience from a low-ranked uni over someone with a 2:1 with little to no experience at a top Russell group uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Loreto2018
No, it all comes down to the individual. An employer would be more likely to hire someone with a 1st class degree with lots of experience from a low-ranked uni over someone with a 2:1 with little to no experience at a top Russell group uni.

What if i don't have any experience even though I have been trying to apply but never get called for internships or placements that I applied for. Then am I doomed because i heard placements and internships are the best as they are related to ur industry but can only be done during uni. So if i don't find one what happens then. 😭😭😭
Securing unemployment, and that you'll never have to pay your student loan back.... Also getting sympathy when you announce on the TSR where you did your degree.

Those are the benefits...

I'm not so sure on the downsides if i think of any I'll let you know.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Is there any point going uni that's ranked 80th in UK because I feel like it's for people who have failed but not failed miserably. I think employers will not hire me at all and it will be hard to even get a job

you will get a degree
Original post by Anonymous
What if i don't have any experience even though I have been trying to apply but never get called for internships or placements that I applied for. Then am I doomed because i heard placements and internships are the best as they are related to ur industry but can only be done during uni. So if i don't find one what happens then. 😭😭😭

No, you are not doomed. There are also external placements outside of Uni. Obviously placements are competitive and not everyone will get them but i'm sure you would have other experiences like part-time jobs, extra-curricular activities and volunteering opportunities to make up for it which employers would value just as much as industrial placements.

Quick Reply