The Student Room Group

Low IQ - subject to a mediocre career

I have been a junior member of staff for three years and I have not progressed. I go to interviews and interviews and get rejected. I have had 10 interviews for the upper grade, but have been pipped to the post for the majority of them. The feedback has been good.

I was in a team where a manager said that noone will ever promote me; they would fire me as a Christmas present. They were about to start the process to fire me when HR and my union got involved and sorted it out. I didn't get any real development.

I am starting to think I am stupid. I could never get the higher grades on my GCSES, A-levels or degree. My Chemistry tutor said I would achieve nothing in life. I got a 1st on my masters, but nothing much else.

I have watched a number of people getting promoted above me -- people who were junior to me and I am like why am I still here... I have a lower IQ that is below 100

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everyone is like you will get promoted. But why are some people finding it so easy when I know they don't deliver the hard work that I do or don't have a master's. I feel so mediocre and lost. Is there anyway to boost IQ?
IQ doesn’t represent intelligence. It’s just a quiz on a persons ability to recognise patterns etc.

An IQ doesn’t show how much knowledge, experience, skills, wisdom you have.
Reply 3
Original post by sammyj97
IQ doesn’t represent intelligence. It’s just a quiz on a persons ability to recognise patterns etc.

An IQ doesn’t show how much knowledge, experience, skills, wisdom you have.

I don't understand why I am so thick.. :frown:
Reply 4
What were your grades at A level and degree? I suspect you are underestimating your ability.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What were your grades at A level and degree? I suspect you are underestimating your ability.

BBBB
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
BBBB

Thats really good! What subjects? There is not way you have only an average ability.
I have been a junior member of staff for three years and I have not progressed. I go to interviews and interviews and get rejected. I have had 10 interviews for the upper grade, but have been pipped to the post for the majority of them. The feedback has been good.

I was in a team where a manager said that noone will ever promote me; they would fire me as a Christmas present. They were about to start the process to fire me when HR and my union got involved and sorted it out. I didn't get any real development.

I am starting to think I am stupid. I could never get the higher grades on my GCSES, A-levels or degree. My Chemistry tutor said I would achieve nothing in life. I got a 1st on my masters, but nothing much else.

I have watched a number of people getting promoted above me -- people who were junior to me and I am like why am I still here... I have a lower IQ that is below 100

You have a first class masters so aren’t even close to average. But even if you were that I’d not why you are not being promoted.

You had a fight with boss and HR had to be called. You’ll never progress with your current company. Move to another job and try to build good relationships with your coworkers. People skills are more important than ability and fitting in is key.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Thats really good! What subjects? There is not way you have only an average ability.

Bio Chem Geography and English
Reply 9
Original post by FingersXedAgain
You have a first class masters so aren’t even close to average. But even if you were that I’d not why you are not being promoted.

You had a fight with boss and HR had to be called. You’ll never progress with your current company. Move to another job and try to build good relationships with your coworkers. People skills are more important than ability and fitting in is key.

I wish I could look for a job in another company that doesnt have issues with me but thanks to COVID-19 -- that is not looking lightly.. but maybe my limited ability to process information will make it difficult for me wherever I go.
Bio Chem Geography and English

hey, those are strong and varied subjects. Sounds like you are in the wrong job. There is no way you have a limited ability to process information. Why don't you think those grades are good? What job do you do?
Original post by ajj2000
hey, those are strong and varied subjects. Sounds like you are in the wrong job. There is no way you have a limited ability to process information. Why don't you think those grades are good? What job do you do?

My grades were a lot of hard work. A lot resits and blood sweat and tears.

I feel thick sometimes. Sometimes people say that I dont think I have the information to process information quickyl.
My grades were a lot of hard work. A lot resits and blood sweat and tears.

I feel thick sometimes. Sometimes people say that I dont think I have the information to process information quickyl.

Who are you comparing yourself with? Were you in some super selective school? I cant think I've ever met anyone who would say something lie that! I must move in the wrong circles!
Original post by ajj2000
Who are you comparing yourself with? Were you in some super selective school? I cant think I've ever met anyone who would say something lie that! I must move in the wrong circles!

I just wish I could get promoted. There seems to be a massive pattern of mediocrity. Maybe you're right. It's all about perspective
I wish I could look for a job in another company that doesnt have issues with me but thanks to COVID-19 -- that is not looking lightly.. but maybe my limited ability to process information will make it difficult for me wherever I go.

Yes maybe. Or maybe you are in job where you are not appreciated and you’ll do better when you move.

When I first got my traineeship as a solicitor, my boss said I was learning support. That was despite my master of law from Cambridge and my many As at school. She tried to have me sacked. After a while, the bullying got so bad I developed a stutter and twitch. Anyway, now I work for a big multinational and I have 3 offers for medicine. It’s a shame that some people enjoy putting others down.
I just wish I could get promoted. There seems to be a massive pattern of mediocrity. Maybe you're right. It's all about perspective

What sort of a job do you do? Some careers are harder to get promoted in than others.
Yes maybe. Or maybe you are in job where you are not appreciated and you’ll do better when you move.

When I first got my traineeship as a solicitor, my boss said I was learning support. That was despite my master of law from Cambridge and my many As at school. She tried to have me sacked. After a while, the bullying got so bad I developed a stutter and twitch. Anyway, now I work for a big multinational and I have 3 offers for medicine. It’s a shame that some people enjoy putting others down.

Yup - and I've seen it the other way. People I thought were a bit useless leave and are promoted in their new company within 2 years. There is a lot of luck with people and landing in the right place.

What's wrong with some people? Was she ever caught out?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ajj2000
What sort of a job do you do? Some careers are harder to get promoted in than others.

Used to do data but now trying to get into something else.

Quick Reply

Latest