The Student Room Group

Accidental Plagiarism

I need urgent help.

Due to mitigating circumstances I was granted an extension for my final year dissertation.

However, upon submission I came across a few problems and my document would not submit. I retried several times until I opted to use someone else's laptop. When transferring files to my USB I stupidly transferred the wrong file. Hence, I uploaded a draft file littered with plagiarism.

I have had a meeting and been given a written warning. My originally submitted work will be marked with marks solely granted to non plagiarised work.

I may or may not pass. All because of a stupud error.

I had failed to mention my mitigation in the meeting due to being overwhelmed - I struggle with depression and anxiety. I am unsure whether it is worth an appeal. I will have to explain why I did not mention my mitigation in the first place but failing this module will make a big difference to my grade. All because of a small error made in a state of panic.

Can anybody offer any advice? I understand that this is my own fault but some guidance would be helpful.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I need urgent help.

Due to mitigating circumstances I was granted an extension for my final year dissertation.

However, upon submission I came across a few problems and my document would not submit. I retried several times until I opted to use someone else's laptop. When transferring files to my USB I stupidly transferred the wrong file. Hence, I uploaded a draft file littered with plagiarism.

I have had a meeting and been given a written warning. My originally submitted work will be marked with marks solely granted to non plagiarised work.

I had failed to mention my mitigation in the meeting due to being overwhelmed - I struggle with depression and anxiety. I am unsure whether it is worth an appeal. I will have to explain why I did not mention my mitigation in the first place but failing this module will make a big difference to my grade. All because of a small error made in a state of panic.

Can anybody offer any advice? I understand that this is my own fault but some guidance would be helpful.

Thank you.

Have you told them that it was a draft??
Reply 2
Original post by ammywammy
Have you told them that it was a draft??

Yes.
I would definitely try to reach out. Your mark is incredibly important as you mentioned and it will affect your course (in which i’m sure you worked hard on!). Yes you made a mistake, but it was an accident and things happen. Universities aren’t unreasonable and they will understand that in a state of panic, you accidentally submitted a different file. What I would suggest you do is let them know as soon as possible. Be open and honest and tell them the entire story. I would also suggest you show them the actual piece of work you meant to submit so they can see that you are being honest, and not trying to plagiarize. Do this as soon as possible as the longer you wait, the more suspicious they get and less lenient they will be! Hope this helps and feel free to reach out for any further advice x
Reply 4
I would definitely try to reach out. Your mark is incredibly important as you mentioned and it will affect your course (in which i’m sure you worked hard on!). Yes you made a mistake, but it was an accident and things happen. Universities aren’t unreasonable and they will understand that in a state of panic, you accidentally submitted a different file. What I would suggest you do is let them know as soon as possible. Be open and honest and tell them the entire story. I would also suggest you show them the actual piece of work you meant to submit so they can see that you are being honest, and not trying to plagiarize. Do this as soon as possible as the longer you wait, the more suspicious they get and less lenient they will be! Hope this helps and feel free to reach out for any further advice x

Thank you for your response. I have already had a meeting and explained this. The outcome was a written warning and a penalty. I was wondering if an appeal would help? What exactly could I include that could help my case?
I think the main reason you got it was because it was your draft and had so much plagiarism. So it kinda doesnt help you. I dont think you can appeal. Everything kinda is against you
Reply 6
Doesn't anyone else ever have to name the file something specific before uploading it? I honestly don't understand how people make this mistake you should be checking the files several times to satisfy your paranoia.

Chances are it won't go that well, plagiarism is a serious issue.
I need urgent help.

Thank you.

It would be clear to your department that you already had mitigating circumstances regarding mental health before the meeting was convened. This wouldn't have been a secret, surely? Thus, I don't see what you hope to gain from chucking in the 'D&A' stuff: it doesn't change the fact that the submitted work was plagiarised, and it won't result in them suddenly agreeing to mark the plagiarised work.

By all means convey this information to whomever you need to, but don't expect it to make a difference. It sounds like the result of the enquiry into it is done and dusted, and you've had a relatively good result in being allowed to even have the dissertation marked, if there was substantial plagiarism in the submitted work. I'd quit whilst you're ahead.
Reply 8
Aren't they letting you upload your 'actual' dissertation? Or they are making you stick with the draft you submitted? I often deal with plagiarism in final year projects, and if it was a genuine mistake we would normally let you upload the correct file (perhaps with a deduction for lateness) which will then be checked for plagiarism. Unless they didn't believe your story that it was an early draft you uploaded by mistake?
I need urgent help.

Thank you.

I am not very smart with computers but are your documents not dated when they were stored etc. Surely you could show them the time you last amended your final draft rather than the plagiarized one
Original post by Bio 7
Doesn't anyone else ever have to name the file something specific before uploading it? I honestly don't understand how people make this mistake you should be checking the files several times to satisfy your paranoia.

Chances are it won't go that well, plagiarism is a serious issue.

I agree. But my files stupidly had similar names. That is why the mistake was made.
Original post by Reality Check
It would be clear to your department that you already had mitigating circumstances regarding mental health before the meeting was convened. This wouldn't have been a secret, surely? Thus, I don't see what you hope to gain from chucking in the 'D&A' stuff: it doesn't change the fact that the submitted work was plagiarised, and it won't result in them suddenly agreeing to mark the plagiarised work.

By all means convey this information to whomever you need to, but don't expect it to make a difference. It sounds like the result of the enquiry into it is done and dusted, and you've had a relatively good result in being allowed to even have the dissertation marked, if there was substantial plagiarism in the submitted work. I'd quit whilst you're ahead.

The panel didn't know. Only the person who deals with extensions and my tutor know.
Original post by DrD_1598
Aren't they letting you upload your 'actual' dissertation? Or they are making you stick with the draft you submitted? I often deal with plagiarism in final year projects, and if it was a genuine mistake we would normally let you upload the correct file (perhaps with a deduction for lateness) which will then be checked for plagiarism. Unless they didn't believe your story that it was an early draft you uploaded by mistake?

They believed that it was a mistake but do not allow resubmissions of the sort.
Reply 13
I agree. But my files stupidly had similar names. That is why the mistake was made.

Always check the file several times over first, you should never be in the position wherebthe document was uploaded.

Even if it is you should check the report to make sure the right one was uploaded and then fix your error. Never be negligent.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I am not very smart with computers but are your documents not dated when they were stored etc. Surely you could show them the time you last amended your final draft rather than the plagiarized one

I use a special programme. So when I opened the files before sending them the new one the date automatically changes.
Original post by Bio 7
Always check the file several times over first, you should never be in the position wherebthe document was uploaded.

Even if it is you should check the report to make sure the right one was uploaded and then fix your error. Never be negligent.

I understand. It is certainly a mistake I will learn from.
The panel didn't know. Only the person who deals with extensions and my tutor know.

It's highly unlikely that the panel wouldn't have spoken to your tutor as part of the plagiarism investigation and this information would have been passed on. Anyway - let them know if you want, but I think it's highly unlikely it will change anything.
wow unlucky

tbh it's unfair and unlike what a user above said unis can be quite unreasonable sometimes. If it was up to me I would let you resubmit with no penalty.

so much hard work wasted smh sorry this happened...

as for next time I would suggest adding DRAFT on the file name if it's a draft and FINAL for the one you want to submit
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheTroll73
wow unlucky

tbh it's unfair and unlike what a user above said unis can be quite unreasonable sometimes. If it was up to me I would let you resubmit with no penalty.

so much hard work wasted smh sorry this happened...

as for next time I would suggest adding DRAFT on the file name if it's a draft and FINAL for the one you want to submit

I agree. But like I said, lesson learned.
I need urgent help.

Thank you.

I’d say the penalty of marking only the unplagiarised work is already a very lenient approach - normally you’d be granted a mark of 0 or in some cases be capped at a pass mark (40%). So I’m not sure how much more can be done - as I’d assume they already taken your MCF into account.

Sorry this happened to you, I can imagine how stressful it must be!

Quick Reply

Latest