The Student Room Group

choice to do chem a level - help

I hate chemistry (gcse) but I somehow am good at it and I am predicted to get an 8/9 this summer. I still hate chemistry and can't bear to think of doing it next year, even if I am a sciencey person.

I honestly don't know if I WANT to do medicine (where chem a level is compulsory) or if it is something that has been pushed onto me by the people around me however, I still do ambulance cadets and find it quite enjoyable.

I love biology and maths and am planning on taking them for a level but I was also considering further maths as my fourth option (fm does not count as an a level by unis if you go on to study medicine) and so I was told not to do it by the people around me so I guess that's off the table even though I've begged my parents to take it and they refused (I guess that's not an option).

I really do want to help people in the future but maybe medicine isn't the right career if I hate chem.

So basically I just wanted to ask other people about their experiences of chemistry, or if anyone has any advice on what I should do.
Reply 1
I know some people who absolutely hate the subject and some who do well. Do you think you could make it through 2 years worth of hard chemistry without absolutely hating it?
You can do medicine without chemistry as some unis want biology as a requirement so do some research around this. However, I'm not sure if not taking chemistry will hinder you when you do medicine so I suggest asking medicine students how much is dependant on A level chemistry. If you want to take it, take it - my parents didnt want me to do physics but something easier or computer science A level but you know what you would enjoy but it's your choice. Maybe look at other careers but I would defo ask about the chemistry content in medicine. I'm sorry if I cant be much help but I defo recommend looking at the medicine forum for better insight. My friend hated chemistry so she dropped it but thats an obvious response.
Original post by ohnojay
I know some people who absolutely hate the subject and some who do well. Do you think you could make it through 2 years worth of hard chemistry without absolutely hating it?

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest