The Student Room Group

Difficulty of A-Levels

I’ve always not worked that hard in school. Never got good grades until I worked really hard throughout year 10 and year 11 and started to get good grades and know a lot about the subjects I took for GCSEs. As of now (2020) I haven’t received my GCSEs officially yet. But I have received 6 grade 7 GCSEs in both English’s, Science’s, Media, Business and Geography. A 5 in maths (Foundation) and a 4 or 5 in German. (Because of Covid, I don’t need to do my GCSEs). Anyway, I’m gonna be taking Chemistry, physics and Biology for A level in hopes to becoming a doctor. I’ve got into a college called King Edwards which in Birmingham is considered quite a good school. But I just wanted to ask, truly how hard is Science at A-level. I’m willing to work hard but I’m nervous going into year 12 just like everyone else. I feel like I barely made GCSEs to get 6 As and 2 Bs. How hard is A-Level? And also is anyone planning to study Medicine to become a doctor at Uni?
I did Biology and it was difficult. The content was understandable but the exam questions required a lot of application. Friends who did Chemistry think Bio is harder than Chem. Majority who did physics dropped the subject after second year (we have to do 4 subjects in first year in our school). It is a lot of content, be prepared. I underestimated A-Levels, I heard it was hard but I did not expect to be a lot of content. However, if you keep working and do pass papers and constantly revise then you will be fine.
I took English Language, Biology, History and Psychology. Dropped Bio in second year. My GCSEs were Grade 9 in History, 9 and 8 in Comb Science, 8 in maths, 7 in French, Computer science, English lit, 6 in English Lang. A* in Chinese, Distinction in Business IT, Distinction* in Catering. GCSEs are so different to A-Levels, content in A-Level is covered quickly and requires really specific terminology (in bio) to get marks. My other subjects are fine, but for the sciences it can be difficult. I enjoyed Biology and it is just a matter of trying your best and doing exam papers a lot. If you are struggling, you should ask for help from teachers. I have applied to do foundation year medicine since I do not have science subjects to study on the regular straight medicine pathway. I have received two offers and hopefully, I can start uni in September, it all depends on my results T-T
Thank you so much for replying and being very detailed in your experience. I appreciate it a lot. I’ve also heard that bio is definitely the hardest out of the three. I guess if I go into A-Levels with the mindset to enjoy the subjects as much as possible I should be ok. Thank you again and good luck with your course in uni!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Osmundhunter
I’ve always not worked that hard in school. Never got good grades until I worked really hard throughout year 10 and year 11 and started to get good grades and know a lot about the subjects I took for GCSEs. As of now (2020) I haven’t received my GCSEs officially yet. But I have received 6 grade 7 GCSEs in both English’s, Science’s, Media, Business and Geography. A 5 in maths (Foundation) and a 4 or 5 in German. (Because of Covid, I don’t need to do my GCSEs). Anyway, I’m gonna be taking Chemistry, physics and Biology for A level in hopes to becoming a doctor. I’ve got into a college called King Edwards which in Birmingham is considered quite a good school. But I just wanted to ask, truly how hard is Science at A-level. I’m willing to work hard but I’m nervous going into year 12 just like everyone else. I feel like I barely made GCSEs to get 6 As and 2 Bs. How hard is A-Level? And also is anyone planning to study Medicine to become a doctor at Uni?

I only do biology, but I can tell you it a huge step up from GCSE. I can only tell you about year 1 as I'm only in year 12. In my first biology end of unit test I got an E- which was huge shock, this then resulted in me worrying if it was the right subject for me. I had memorised the textbook for that topic and had gone into it feeling very prepared. But, before you think oh no about taking a science, I never got an E since that very first test at the beginning of year (I got straight As- sorry if sounds like a brag). My grades changed because I memorised the textbook like I did for the first test but then I applied my knowledge to exam questions- the mark scheme for all sciences particularly biology are VERY particular, you had to pretty much get the mark scheme word for word to get the mark. Once I applied my knowledge to exam questions and then every time I got a question wrong I would add it to my flashcard set (I used quizlet to make online flashcards) and suddenly my grades improved. So basically, the actually content itself is not awfully tricky to understand but it is the application- but trust me if you begin the years working so hard, and using past exam questions you'll nail it!

(My school gave us every single past question possible- but if your college doesn't do that they uses physicsandmathstutor and there are loads of exam questions on there)
Original post by emma543
I only do biology, but I can tell you it a huge step up from GCSE. I can only tell you about year 1 as I'm only in year 12. In my first biology end of unit test I got an E- which was huge shock, this then resulted in me worrying if it was the right subject for me. I had memorised the textbook for that topic and had gone into it feeling very prepared. But, before you think oh no about taking a science, I never got an E since that very first test at the beginning of year (I got straight As- sorry if sounds like a brag). My grades changed because I memorised the textbook like I did for the first test but then I applied my knowledge to exam questions- the mark scheme for all sciences particularly biology are VERY particular, you had to pretty much get the mark scheme word for word to get the mark. Once I applied my knowledge to exam questions and then every time I got a question wrong I would add it to my flashcard set (I used quizlet to make online flashcards) and suddenly my grades improved. So basically, the actually content itself is not awfully tricky to understand but it is the application- but trust me if you begin the years working so hard, and using past exam questions you'll nail it!

(My school gave us every single past question possible- but if your college doesn't do that they uses physicsandmathstutor and there are loads of exam questions on there)

I agree with Emma a lot. My biggest downfall was not doing exam questions. My mocks were awful and lost motivation. My initial route was to do Law so I thought I would scrap biology but turns out I changed my mind after I dropped it hahah. Do not be afraid to ask teachers for help. I was reluctant since everyone around me was 'smarter' because they got good grades and I felt like I didn't belong there and was scared. Those who didn't get good grades improved by asking for help when it is needed. ALSO remember to be organised, date and file your work or else it is a hassle to go back and file them (do this everyday not every week). Everyone is in the same boat as you when you start. You might get results that surprise you but it all depends on how you can change and improve from it (like how Emma did). Good luck! Application to questions is key. Biology is fun but the exam is difficult if you don't do exam questions and apply your knowledge.
Reply 5
Original post by michu.xn
I agree with Emma a lot. My biggest downfall was not doing exam questions. My mocks were awful and lost motivation. My initial route was to do Law so I thought I would scrap biology but turns out I changed my mind after I dropped it hahah. Do not be afraid to ask teachers for help. I was reluctant since everyone around me was 'smarter' because they got good grades and I felt like I didn't belong there and was scared. Those who didn't get good grades improved by asking for help when it is needed. ALSO remember to be organised, date and file your work or else it is a hassle to go back and file them (do this everyday not every week). Everyone is in the same boat as you when you start. You might get results that surprise you but it all depends on how you can change and improve from it (like how Emma did). Good luck! Application to questions is key. Biology is fun but the exam is difficult if you don't do exam questions and apply your knowledge.

As well, because all schools are closed you have an advantage- loads of year 11s will be wasting this time, but it could benefit you- you could give yourself a head start which would then make you feel confident about heading into year 12. I'm not saying spend ages, but an hour a day or even 30 mins could help you. If you fancy doing that, I'm sure me and other year 12s and 13s can give you pointers on where to start :smile:

Wow. Thank you so so much. Whilst revising for my GCSEs, I started to realise that throughout the last year, I should've dated the because that's exactly what happened to me. I forgot to date the work so I struggled with revision a bit. Definitely keeping that in mind. You're a god send. Thank you!
Original post by emma543

Thank you for your help and including your experience with Biology. I can use that to make sure that doesn't happen to me lol. But yeah you're right. I guess I should try and understand the mark scheme as much as I can. Thank you Emma!!!!!

a levels are tough, i will give you that.

but honestly - i made it through the 2 years happily, as i was studying what i wanted to study and was able to have a focus, which ultimately was university.

my year 13 experience was cut short by coronavirus unfortunately - i hated year 12 because of French AS but i loved year 13 to my core, it was my best school year ever. my work ethic was great, teachers were amazing, i just had a load of fun really.

i never was a super high achiever but sixth form for me was a different ball game and i really wanted to try, and i did, and now im predicted AAB. don't worry about your past, you can turn around if you want it enough! :yep:
WOW! That sounds amazing well done!! Im so happy going into A level because I can finally be allowed to study what i am passionate about! AAB is amazing a huge congrats to you! My year 11 was cut short like ur 13 lol same boat i guess xD have a good day thank you!

Original post by yzanne
a levels are tough, i will give you that.

but honestly - i made it through the 2 years happily, as i was studying what i wanted to study and was able to have a focus, which ultimately was university.

my year 13 experience was cut short by coronavirus unfortunately - i hated year 12 because of French AS but i loved year 13 to my core, it was my best school year ever. my work ethic was great, teachers were amazing, i just had a load of fun really.

i never was a super high achiever but sixth form for me was a different ball game and i really wanted to try, and i did, and now im predicted AAB. don't worry about your past, you can turn around if you want it enough! :yep:Wo
WOW! That sounds amazing well done!! Im so happy going into A level because I can finally be allowed to study what i am passionate about! AAB is amazing a huge congrats to you! My year 11 was cut short like ur 13 lol same boat i guess xD have a good day thank you!

thank you so much :yep:

i'm very proud of what i have achieved so far and i will cherish my memories of school, but i am so ready for some closure and the opportunity to move on!
Wow. Thank you so so much. Whilst revising for my GCSEs, I started to realise that throughout the last year, I should've dated the because that's exactly what happened to me. I forgot to date the work so I struggled with revision a bit. Definitely keeping that in mind. You're a god send. Thank you!

No worries! Oh and one more thing, mock exams are really important for your predicted grades for unis. Work hard for them cos they matter a lot. I was predicted AAB but I needed AAA, I fell short one predicted grade and was rejected by two unis because of it (some unis are really strict on them :frown:( ) Some people can discuss and change predicted grades but some schools do not allow it. It will save u a lot of stress if u work hard for mocks and get the predicted grades you need for uni.
Thank you for your help and including your experience with Biology. I can use that to make sure that doesn't happen to me lol. But yeah you're right. I guess I should try and understand the mark scheme as much as I can. Thank you Emma!!!!!

Good luck! :smile:
:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
No worries! Oh and one more thing, mock exams are really important for your predicted grades for unis. Work hard for them cos they matter a lot. I was predicted AAB but I needed AAA, I fell short one predicted grade and was rejected by two unis because of it (some unis are really strict on them :frown:( ) Some people can discuss and change predicted grades but some schools do not allow it. It will save u a lot of stress if u work hard for mocks and get the predicted grades you need for uni.

Oh that’s a good shout actually yeah I’ll definitely be treating the mocks as if they are the actual exam. Not that I didn’t for GCSE or anything lol. Thank you so much and best of luck to you too!!!
Original post by emma543
Good luck! :smile:

Thank You!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest