Hmmm7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Whatever it’s partially or moderate or at different levels, I made this thread so we can have someone to be able to relate with if ygm?
Last edited by 04MR17; 5 months ago
~David~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hard of hearing here. Just about manage without hearing aids until I tried to join the Army.
coffeeneeded27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm deaf and a uni student - profound loss in one ear, mild in the other. CROS hearing aid user
LMC02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Following this thread as I am a bilateral hearing aid user planning to apply for 2021. Be interesting to see any common problems or issues that deaf students have at Uni.
coffeeneeded27
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by LMC02)
Following this thread as I am a bilateral hearing aid user planning to apply for 2021. Be interesting to see any common problems or issues that deaf students have at Uni.
If you have any specific questions or want some general advice On anything feel free to message me! Main issue for me is hearing in lectures so I use a roger pen and sit near the front. I also have a note taker in seminars and lectures and get 25% extra time in exams as other adjustments for my deafness. You can be assigned a halls room with a flashing light fire alarm and other adjustments if you let the uni know in advance. And also be sure to apply for DSA really far in advance as it takes forever!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
:wavey:

Moderate hearing loss on right side (due to microtia from birth)

Posting to :sub: to the thread.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mildly deaf here with hyperacusis and Auditory processing disorder. Took ages to get diagnosed because apparently I cant have both hearing and sight loss. Bizarre.

My hearing loss is a rare side effect from medication I take.
jelly_beaned
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
deaf here, moderately severe loss in both ears so defo would like some people to relate to, also going off to uni this september if this is of interest
Lisa_Simpson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No, thank God. I do feel bad for those of you that are though.
Wick3d
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, ranging from moderate to severe. I hate wearing hearing aids, so I rarely wear them. No one seemed to notice at first, even with my stunted speech as a child. I am constantly asking people to repeat their names or what they just said, especially if the surrounding environment is louder than average.
jelly_beaned
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lisa_Simpson)
No, thank God. I do feel bad for those of you that are though.
being deaf isn't something to pity. we have our own culture and community and learn from each others experiences, this comment is pretty rude.
Lisa_Simpson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jelly_beaned)
being deaf isn't something to pity. we have our own culture and community and learn from each others experiences, this comment is pretty rude.
I never meant it to come across that way, I just mean I sympathise with anyone who is deaf.
coffeeneeded27
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jelly_beaned)
omg yes please! deaf here, moderately severe loss in both ears so defo would like some people to relate to, also going off to uni this september if this is of interest
Also jelly_beaned I’m a uni student atm so if you have questions or wanna chat about being deaf at uni/DSA feel free to drop me a message!
sicajes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears (although it fluctuates so at times it's mild to moderate). Also suffer from regular tinnitus and noise sensitivity. I have BAHAs for both ears although one screw fell out last year it's replacement is delayed due to covid and tbh I don't wear them as due to my noise sensitivity they cause bad earaches even on the lowest setting
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey folks I've had to edit a few posts as TSR doesn't permit the promotion of group chats on other platforms in order to protect the privacy of everyone who uses the site. I hope this is understandable with everyone.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lisa_Simpson)
I never meant it to come across that way, I just mean I sympathise with anyone who is deaf.
Didn't seem rude to me.
Hmmm7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Didn't seem rude to me.
things like this may not seem rude but they’ll be offensive to some people
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hmmm7)
Because ya lot dumb, things like this may not seem rude but they’ll be offensive to some people
Thank you for your opinion. It has not changed how I feel, though.
Kelseykelsey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i’m not
Frose03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My left ear is completely useless. Got a hearing aid on the right as that’s half deaf. Completely dependent on that one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (128)
62.44%
I don't have everything I need (77)
37.56%

Watched Threads