Applying for different combined courses

Watch this thread
gracemacdonald__
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to apply to very different courses, at different universities because I want to do a combined course. Are you allowed to send different/ edited personal statements to different universities or do ucas only allow you to submit one?

I want to apply to Combined English Language and Communication and Media at Liverpool, Combined English Linguistics and Business at Newcastle, Digital Media and Information Studies combined with English language and linguistics at Glasgow and English Language in the Media at Lancaster.

With a lack of combined courses out there at good universities this is why I am applying to very different courses, but struggling with the small word count in personal statements to cater for all these courses.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
You can only submit one through UCAS, but can ask the unis if you can send a separate one. You could really do with narrowing it down a little bit though - as you say, it's impossible to talk about all those in one statement.

I would advise looking at English language courses to see which have a lot of options and applying to one of them as a backup, instead of eg the media and information studies. Then you can talk about English language and its applications in media and linguistics. You need to show commitment to your subject, and that's looking difficult for you at the minute.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gracemacdonald__)
I want to apply to very different courses, at different universities because I want to do a combined course. Are you allowed to send different/ edited personal statements to different universities or do ucas only allow you to submit one?

I want to apply to Combined English Language and Communication and Media at Liverpool, Combined English Linguistics and Business at Newcastle, Digital Media and Information Studies combined with English language and linguistics at Glasgow and English Language in the Media at Lancaster.

With a lack of combined courses out there at good universities this is why I am applying to very different courses, but struggling with the small word count in personal statements to cater for all these courses.
Hi gracemacdonald__,
You can only submit one PS through UCAS - it might be best to focus on the English Language aspect as this is what each course has in common. It's also important to point out that admissions tutors want you to be interested in your course, so applying to a wide variety of courses might make this difficult. However, every year medicine students apply to four places for medicine, and for example one for biomedicine with a PS that is usually based solely around medicine. From when I was applying, this didn't hinder them in getting offers to studying biomedicine.
As suggested, you could send an additional personal statement.
I'd recommend emailing the English department: [email protected] before sending your application to get their advice.
If you have any questions about Lancaster or anything I can help you with, let me know.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads