The Student Room Group

Confused about uni reply

Emailed uni about extenuating circumstances 2 days ago and they said it doesn't effect the admissions process on results day. Got the email today. What should I reply? Feel like ****e because I literally poured my heart out in the email. Oh well. Its for med at a top uni as well so now I feel they might look down on me on results day. It was quite a blunt reply as well.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
Emailed uni about extenuating circumstances 2 days ago and they said it doesn't effect the admissions process on results day. Got the email today. What should I reply? Feel like ****e because I literally poured my heart out in the email. Oh well. Its for med at a top uni as well so now I feel they might look down on me on results day. It was quite a blunt reply as well.

"they said it doesn't effect the admissions process on results day" so they don't seem to be accepting your extenuating circumstances - how does that impact on your position? Do you need to appeal that? Perhaps time to speak to an advisor or counsellor at your current school/educational establishment before taking any further steps with the uni
As for any possible over-sharing in your email - there's nothing you can do about that now, but it seems unlikely that it will be an impairment to your application.
But 'pouring your heart out', that does seem a bit unprofessional. IMHO to claim extenuating circumstances should be a clear statement of a situation, not an emotional expression.
Reply 3
"they said it doesn't effect the admissions process on results day" so they don't seem to be accepting your extenuating circumstances - how does that impact on your position? Do you need to appeal that? Perhaps time to speak to an advisor or counsellor at your current school/educational establishment before taking any further steps with the uni
As for any possible over-sharing in your email - there's nothing you can do about that now, but it seems unlikely that it will be an impairment to your application.
But 'pouring your heart out', that does seem a bit unprofessional. IMHO to claim extenuating circumstances should be a clear statement of a situation, not an emotional expression.

I was advised to let the uni know of my extenuating circumstances and this was their response. They said that any extenuating circumstances should be told to my school and that its not for the uni to take in to account as I'm not a current student there. It was a bit exxagerative of 'poured my heart out' but in the email I told them my situation and the effect that situation had on me in terms of mental health and now I'm wondering whether I should not have talked about the impact it had on me and instead just left it at what happened. They replied pretty quick and I don't know what I expected but I thought they would take into account if I missed my offer by a grade. I regret sending the email now.
Reply 4

Best not to reply at all but just try and put it behind you if you can.
Does your school know? They are supposed to take any extenuating circumstances into account when setting your grade this year.
Reply 5
Original post by 2500_2
Best not to reply at all but just try and put it behind you if you can.
Does your school know? They are supposed to take any extenuating circumstances into account when setting your grade this year.

My schools been rubbish with it and are not taking it into account which is why I was advised to email the uni. I go to a pretty big college where teachers don't know me or my circumstances very well, senior leaders know though but haven't passed on this information to teachers who are determining my grades.
Reply 6
I don't know if I'm in the position to do anything now and should just wait for results day. However, I can't even appeal as the centre has to do it for you and I doubt mine will.
Reply 7
I don't know if I'm in the position to do anything now and should just wait for results day. However, I can't even appeal as the centre has to do it for you and I doubt mine will.

The centre's grounds for appeal won't help your circumstances this year anyway. You can submit a complaint to your centre that you believe it has been biased against you and take that further with the exam board as a malpractice claim.
However, I'd suggest you are better trying to put this to the back of your mind for a bit. You have no actual knowledge that your teachers haven't been told about your circumstances, and you don't know how your school's leadership team will be adding this information in as they do the final review of submitted grades. There's a very good chance you are worrying unnecessarily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending