The Student Room Group

Didn't get into medical school and feel like crying...

I did an undergraduate degree, then spent two years working in the NHS gaining experience. I found out a few weeks ago I was put on the waiting list from graduate entry medicine, but I'm not keeping my hopes high. I'm 25 and when I see kids who are 18 get into med school it makes me feel like such a failure. I thought the interview went really well so I'm just so sad and frustrated. Applying to Medical school is such a long process and I literally don't know what more they want from me.
I’m so sorry to hear that, it must be really frustrating for you. Graduate entry medicine is notoriously difficult and awful, and many people have to go through several rejections, you’re definitely not a failure! Getting waitlisted is still an amazing achievement and you don’t know yet if that will come off and you’ll get a place. Not to mention that you already have a degree and will have helped so many people working in the NHS already! And there’s no ‘right’ age to start medicine, I believe there was a thread recently from someone applying at 38.

Unis are deciding between lots of excellent candidates for so few places that invariably and sadly good people will lose out. If you look in the GEM/clearing threads there will definitely be people who are in similar situations and offer support, or even just family and friends.

What are your next steps now - would you consider trying for undergraduate medicine or clearing? Could you ask the universities for feedback to improve if you’re planning on reapplying? Having a plan might help you feel a bit more in control.

I hope that was at all helpful and reassuring, and that you can sort this out and move on to the next stage with confidence. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I did an undergraduate degree, then spent two years working in the NHS gaining experience. I found out a few weeks ago I was put on the waiting list from graduate entry medicine, but I'm not keeping my hopes high. I'm 25 and when I see kids who are 18 get into med school it makes me feel like such a failure. I thought the interview went really well so I'm just so sad and frustrated. Applying to Medical school is such a long process and I literally don't know what more they want from me.

Have a cry.

Get feedback.

Absorb feedback and work out where you can improve.

Go again next year.

25 is young and at least you got to interview.
Remember it may be you werent bad , just some others were better or had more experience.

will come and give you a hug then whisk you away.
Reply 3
I'll be applying first time for Sept 2021 intake so I don't know how you're feeling exactly right now.. just know that I'm about to turn 30 in a couple of weeks so will be 31 when the course starts (if I get in).. you're still so young in the context of life.. Plenty of time left to become a doctor. I know some people applying for 2021 who are in their late 30s/early 40s.. Try to figure where you went wrong and go again next year!
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
I’m so sorry to hear that, it must be really frustrating for you. Graduate entry medicine is notoriously difficult and awful, and many people have to go through several rejections, you’re definitely not a failure! Getting waitlisted is still an amazing achievement and you don’t know yet if that will come off and you’ll get a place. Not to mention that you already have a degree and will have helped so many people working in the NHS already! And there’s no ‘right’ age to start medicine, I believe there was a thread recently from someone applying at 38.

Unis are deciding between lots of excellent candidates for so few places that invariably and sadly good people will lose out. If you look in the GEM/clearing threads there will definitely be people who are in similar situations and offer support, or even just family and friends.

What are your next steps now - would you consider trying for undergraduate medicine or clearing? Could you ask the universities for feedback to improve if you’re planning on reapplying? Having a plan might help you feel a bit more in control.

I hope that was at all helpful and reassuring, and that you can sort this out and move on to the next stage with confidence. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for the support. It's just that I already know my next steps, which makes it even more upsetting. Another year of NHS work and working on and re-submitting my application. It's so hard to carry on pursuing it as the years so by. I know I will always regret it if I don't do it, but I don't know, maybe this is the universe telling me to do something else. I know for a fact I could work in an office and make so much money, but that wouldn't make me happy.

Thank you. I feel like the older I get the less worth it medicine would be to do to be honest, I know there are people content with being a doctor at 40, but that's just how I feel. I think I kind of regret not trying to get in at 18. I didn't want to apply because I knew I wasn't mature enough at the time, I now realise that I would have matured THROUGH the 5 years at medical school. I could've finished my F1 and be living on my own by now.

I think another aspect for me feeling this was if my family. They don't believe in me at all. They have all said to me (including my mother) they don't think I will ever get into medicine and they're not even saying it in a way for me to 'work harder to prove them wrong', they really mean it. I'm the youngest and its become a habit for me to be the punching bag/scapegoat of the family. My elder siblings (they're around 10+ years older than me) have all moved out and have their own families. I'm living with my parents during the pandemic because my father is 71 and has pulmonary fibrosis, so even though I hate it here and I know my help will never be appreciated, I know it's the right thing to do to look out for him (being on top of his medications, doing the grocery shop etc etc).

It's so tough being around a toxic family, because it makes me feel like there's something wrong with me. My interview means nothing to them until I actually get an offer, but I already know if I ever do get an offer, it still won't be impressive because of how many times I have failed getting in. But I've learn't not to base my self-worth isn't based on their opinions anyway, but it so tough just trying to pursue your dream around people who like to bring you down just for fun. I think it's time for me to move out. Working another year in the NHS I can already hear my mothers comments ('what are you doing with your life?' 'i don't think you're ever going to get into medicine' 'you're wasting so much time' 'your brother/sister was doing this and that at your age' (except they didn't have a 71 year old father to look out for?) )...

Original post by Beeblets
I'll be applying first time for Sept 2021 intake so I don't know how you're feeling exactly right now.. just know that I'm about to turn 30 in a couple of weeks so will be 31 when the course starts (if I get in).. you're still so young in the context of life.. Plenty of time left to become a doctor. I know some people applying for 2021 who are in their late 30s/early 40s.. Try to figure where you went wrong and go again next year!

Best of luck to you, you can do it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest