The Student Room Group

saving money

hi guys i need some advice to save money because im starting to hate my expensive taste in things😭. so i currently have an ISA saving account where i can only take money out 3 times a year and then my normal direct debit card and i have ordered a new card so i can transfer 50 quid a month at least and let it build up. So far i send at least 300+- every week to my savings but i think i could do more tbh. I only pay for the wifi bill with my brother and we go half on it anyway.

The BIG problem is my relationship because uno going on dates and then those hotel trips they add up 😭 even tho my boyfriend pays here and there so do i but i want us both to save money, because we plan to get married next year after he graduates. My boyfriend tends to buy expensive things e.g shoes... he bought dior shoes nearly 1k and a 1k jacket. i told him if he wants to buy shoes keep it at £150 but even that is expensive but hes so used to buying expensive things that when it comes for me to buy gifts its abit much :/
Have a discussion about it
Discuss the kind of wedding you want and how much you need to save
Try and see if you can switch up dates- instead just go for some walks or go to a cheaper local place to eat out. Why so many hotels? Do you guys not live nearby?
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
Have a discussion about it
Discuss the kind of wedding you want and how much you need to save
Try and see if you can switch up dates- instead just go for some walks or go to a cheaper local place to eat out. Why so many hotels? Do you guys not live nearby?

well wedding is going to be abroad in my home island probably wont be more than 5k tbh because its in my home garden which is huge. Honeymoon would be a lil bit more. My dad sorting out foood so we wont be buying any. I need to save money on because i have land to build on so my dad has said to save alot. id be living with him and my in laws when i move out mine so ill be able to save up money because i wont be paying rent but rather just grocerjes
£300 a week savings is pretty decent. You should be pleased with that.

I'm not really sure what advice you want to hear though, as you know the solution. You either spend less or earn more. If you want to save as a couple this means having some serious conversations about not wasting money.

I mean, anyone spending £1000 on some sweatshop made shoes just because they have a logo on is a complete clown. Great way to stay "poor".
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys i need some advice to save money because im starting to hate my expensive taste in things😭. so i currently have an ISA saving account where i can only take money out 3 times a year and then my normal direct debit card and i have ordered a new card so i can transfer 50 quid a month at least and let it build up. So far i send at least 300+- every week to my savings but i think i could do more tbh. I only pay for the wifi bill with my brother and we go half on it anyway.

The BIG problem is my relationship because uno going on dates and then those hotel trips they add up 😭 even tho my boyfriend pays here and there so do i but i want us both to save money, because we plan to get married next year after he graduates. My boyfriend tends to buy expensive things e.g shoes... he bought dior shoes nearly 1k and a 1k jacket. i told him if he wants to buy shoes keep it at £150 but even that is expensive but hes so used to buying expensive things that when it comes for me to buy gifts its abit much :/

Hey,

Talk about it with him, and explain that you want to start saving more. One of my biggest saving tips is having a savings account which you already have, so that you can separate money immediately. Another thing I like to do is to set an allowance, so i sit and evaluate my spendings on food, on shopping and on miscellaneous expenses and when I set a budget of how much I need month or weekly I try to make sure thats the only amount I leave in my current account and not to touch any other money.
Its not easy to go from spending to not spending and buying only whats necessary so maybe add abit extra to your allowance then slowly try to cut out any extra spending and keep the rest on your savings.
Also i always try to ask myself if its something I need or want, that way it makes me re-evaluate my spending.

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending