Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey :bl:

I was wondering if any past or current Sheffield University students could advise on what parking at sheffield campus is like?

Either on the main campus or by cathedral court (psychology).

I am a disabled student with a blue badge and am slightly worried about the new academic year as I will be commuting into university, but will struggle to walk any reasonable distance or afford to pay parking at the public car park. And if I can't park, then i will potentially struggle hugely to attend. Is it worth turning up particularly early? Are there any areas were there are more disabled spaces or may be easier to park?
Walking from the union area to psych building will also be hugely difficult but if theres no parking near cathedral court its something I will obviously have to attempt to work around. TIA
Katie986
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello! I'm not sure I'm going to be able to help 100% but here goes.. There isn't a lot of parking around main campus for general use, a lot of it is permit holders only for staff or pay and display after certain hours apart from a main car park which would get expensive. As Cathedral Court is more in the city centre you're probably going to come across city or privately-owned car parks there. I'd recommend getting in touch with the council about any blue badge parking permits they may have, and student services/ disability and dyslexia support services at the uni to see if there's anything they can do about a parking permit for you, though if you can do this it might be worth coming in in good time as the car parks are normally quite crowded.

If you're able to get parking at the university campus, I'm fairly sure there's a bus you can get from nearby the campus to fairly close to cathedral court if that makes it a bit easier?

Sorry that this is kinda vague!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Oh dear, that's problematic, as I will be commuting 2 hours and theres very few trains that travel from my location to sheffield and it would cost me over £50 per day (which would be what fuel for the week driving would cost ) or £250 per week in train tickets.
DrBakareTunde
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your best bet is to contact the uni for university owned parking. I know they offer certain permits which although aren't available to students in general, there might be exceptions for disability. Near the SU there is quite a bit of on street parking, council car parks and a lot of private ones, however I'm not sure if badge holders need to pay.
There a few spots near the uni which is "unrestricted" but its very limited and I've only ever been able to park in those spaces once, so relying on it daily wouldn't be a good idea.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pa...for-blue-badge
This seems to imply you can park free in pay and display bays for free?

The things I would do personally is contact the uni and the council to see if you can park free in these spots.

I'm not sure about cathedral court, but I always seem to spot one or two spaces near the SU, and the car park near north campus usually has spaces (not sure if this is anywhere near where you need)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads