The Student Room Group

EPQ

What’s everyone going to do their topics on in September? Mine is going to be marine life adaptations somehow 😜
That sounds like an amazing idea!😊 I was thinking of doing a topic along the lines of neuroscience and maybe more specifically the question about if we have a consciousness...
I've just finished mine and it was on mathematical teaching in a second language. Im just yet to do my presentation but if theres any questions you have on it feel free to ask !
Mines about our obligation to obey the law
Reply 4
Original post by smatloob456
That sounds like an amazing idea!😊 I was thinking of doing a topic along the lines of neuroscience and maybe more specifically the question about if we have a consciousness...

Ooooo that sounds interesting! Good luck :clap2:
Reply 5
Original post by zarararar
I've just finished mine and it was on mathematical teaching in a second language. Im just yet to do my presentation but if theres any questions you have on it feel free to ask !

How did you work throughout the year? Is it up to you to make it or are there specific areas you should address each week? :smile:
That is such an awesome topic!!
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
Mines about our obligation to obey the law

Cool! Have you completed yours yet or just about to start :biggrin:
Original post by Moonbow
Cool! Have you completed yours yet or just about to start :biggrin:

I'm planning to start 1st of June hbu?
Reply 8
I'm planning to start 1st of June hbu?

Woah you are ready!!
I am starting officially next school year, but I guess a bit of research would definitely be good before I go back :biggrin:
Original post by Moonbow
Woah you are ready!!
I am starting officially next school year, but I guess a bit of research would definitely be good before I go back :biggrin:

Noooo I'm lazy. I just dont want to rush it even though I have a little bit of a plan. Also I'm yr 12 and we do all of it in the summer and give our first draft when we come back. Good luck for yr 12 :rave:
Reply 10
Noooo I'm lazy. I just dont want to rush it even though I have a little bit of a plan. Also I'm yr 12 and we do all of it in the summer and give our first draft when we come back. Good luck for yr 12 :rave:

Thanks! Good luck for your EPQ!! :parrot:
And year 13 too, go smash it!! :biggrin:
Original post by Moonbow
Thanks! Good luck for your EPQ!! :parrot:
And year 13 too, go smash it!! :biggrin:

Thank you. Wait are you yr 12 now or yr 13?
Reply 12
Thank you. Wait are you yr 12 now or yr 13?

Year 11 now, just about to go into year 12!
I am slightly terrified of all the work coming :redface:
Original post by Moonbow
Year 11 now, just about to go into year 12!
I am slightly terrified of all the work coming :redface:

Ohh I got confused and I thought yr 13 was directed to you. Don't worry because the workload isn't that much when you get used to it
Reply 14
Ohh I got confused and I thought yr 13 was directed to you. Don't worry because the workload isn't that much when you get used to it

Okey dokes! I’ll give it a good shot :wink:
Thank you for all the help btw :biggrin:
Original post by Moonbow
How did you work throughout the year? Is it up to you to make it or are there specific areas you should address each week? :smile:

Personally for my school we had to just set ourselves goals and targets for when things were complete. I don’t know if you’ve learnt much about it yet but we had a log book to fill out which is a major part of the grade. The only strict deadlines we had were when each part of this was due in. These sections included stuff like writing about initial ideas and then the planning stage and so on. This meant we had a rough roadmap of where we should be at at each point but there was no one telling you exactly what to do each week. It’s very independent and it can seem pretty daunting at first but if you try to set yourself a goal or target for each week it should seem less scary. Good luck!
Original post by Moonbow

I did EPQ last year. Its supposed to teach organisation and time management skills (say you learnt them in the production log & presentation) so we managed our own time with a few deadlines - 1000 words by this date, final draft by this date etc.

What I would say though is don't overlook the production log. It's worth a lot of marks and it's about your EPQ journey so you write about the struggles you had, how you overcame problems, and why you chose your idea etc. At the beginning I kind of neglected it then at the end when I realised it was important I went back and added to it/rewroteI it.
For the presentation you should talk a bit about your project but not too much the same with your journey, it should be a balance.
In mine I spoke about: original ideas, problems with these ideas, changes to question, final question (explained the objectives/how you will measure some of the words e.g. Growth: reputation, worth, domestic vs international), I chose this topic because, things I found interesting, primary and secondary sources, a video I made (unnecessary), what went well and how it could have been improved, my final steps.
A slide on each of these things with good answers to the questions posed to you should give you high marks for this section.

Ngl my school started EPQ in September 2018 for 4 hours per week and I basically used the lessons to play games like the fake cards against humanities and skribble.io or for homework. We had mini deadlines like write 1000 words before this date etc but I only started writing the final thing 1 or 2 weeks before the deadline and got 39/40 for the whole thing.
An interesting topic basically guarantees marks! I remember that after my final presentation, a teacher who wasn't in the room came up to me asking questions about my project because the main assessing teacher had told her about it. I recently spoke about EPQ to some Yr 11s for a taster session and the main assessing teacher remembered one of those teacher style jokes I made when answering one of the questions because I panicked. You're idea about marine life sounds interesting. You could consider an artefact then it's basically a mini project alongside the essay which is then reduced to 3000 words. I know somebody in my school from a few years ago wrote a children's book! If not you could always make a glossary with key terms and pictures to help the teacher understand your project and get extra marks which I definitely didn't do to avoid making a source library.
Getting other people to read it helps too because they can tell you if it's easy enough to understand particularly for complex topics or if some areas aren't engaging for the reader.
Either way as long as you're interested in your topic you'll be fine. The people with the highest marks are those who are interested in their topics 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending