The Student Room Group

Will my I be rewarded a low grade because of my school?

The school I go to is ranked one of lowest in the country and has an average A Level grade of D. However, I’ve always received As and A* in my mocks and my predicted grades have always been As and A*s. Now, I’ve heard that Ofqual will change teacher recommendations if they seem too high relative to the school’s past performance. Does this mean I will miss out on going to the top unis simply because of the school I go to? Or, will Ofqual only change these teacher predictions if the whole school’s grades are inflated, allowing for the occasional outlier like myself?
(edited 3 years ago)
maybe, though it won't be the deciding factor. you will be the highest in your bracket for getting A's and A*'s - your hard work will shine through.
Reply 2
Original post by tom8085
The school I go to is ranked one of lowest in the country and has an average A Level grade of D. However, I’ve always received As and A* in my mocks and my predicted grades have always been As and A*s. Now, I’ve heard that Ofqual will change teacher recommendations if they seem too high relative to the school’s past performance. Does this mean I will miss out on going to the top unis simply because of the school I go to? Or, will Ofqual only change these teacher predictions if the whole school’s grades are inflated, allowing for the occasional outlier like myself?

In the same position as you. Go to a pretty crap sixth form and have been doing good mocks. My sixth also has an average of D
it will almost certainly be an adjustment made on the consideration of the whole school's grade distribution relative to previous years, not a simple adjustment made on the average performance at your school

the exam boards and regulators have data on your school's performance and if that includes, for example, 5% of students gettings A*s in previous years and your school predicting 5% A*s this year, they probably won't make adjustments (all other factors remaining equal). hope that makes sense

just guessing here, but its an educated guess

relevant for @dasda too
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
it will almost certainly be an adjustment made on the consideration of the whole school's grade distribution relative to previous years, not a simple adjustment made on the average performance at your school

the exam boards and regulators have data on your school's performance and if that includes, for example, 5% of students gettings A*s in previous years and your school predicting 5% A*s this year, they probably won't make adjustments (all other factors remaining equal). hope that makes sense

just guessing here, but its an educated guess

relevant for @dasda too

Nobody got an A* last year. Hardly any students go to the school (class size is about 5). Most got between E and B, with a few As...
Original post by tom8085
Nobody got an A* last year. Hardly any students go to the school (class size is about 5). Most got between E and B, with a few As...

as i said it's a deeper statistical analysis that that

if the mean average school grade is a D normally with a deviation of 2 grades and that's the same for your year group too, your existence as an outlier is irrelevant to the overall trend and you probably wont be affected, all other factors remaining equal

Quick Reply