The Student Room Group

Opinions on Firming? (UCL, LSE, KCL)

Heyo fellas, I'm sure y'all can tell by my username I'm a US student, but I was hoping to get some opinions from the community about this decision.

I got an offer for an plain LLB (nothin special w/ it eg. with spanish law) from the 3 uni's in the title (UCL, LSE, and KCL) but I'm having trouble coming to a decision regarding which of these to firm and insure. I'm pretty confident I'm going to meet the conditions because I performed pretty consistently with how I usually do.

I guess to keep it short and sweet, what are your thoughts as I'm unfamiliar with how each of these are perceived, particularly with law, as I don't have much of a frame of reference for these in the states beyond league tables that everyone says to pay no attention to. Also covid's kinda squashed any chance I have of visiting the campus, so I'm going to have to make this decision from across the atlantic.

Huge thanks fellas, totally appreciate it!
(edited 3 years ago)
First off, well done on your offers :smile:

They’re all considered to be very good universities and they’re all in central London, so you’re right that there’s not that much seriously different between them. I have no idea how particularly they’re regarded for Law, so I can’t really advise on that, or how different the courses are (I imagine they can’t be too different as they’re all preparing you for a career in Law, but you may want to have a look a different self-selected modules etc?)

You might be able to do online video tours if that would help you make a decision. You might also want to look at the societies and student life - can’t imagine they’ll be massively different, though, but if you have a specific sport you want to do etc. Do you know any current students you could speak to? (I think KCL has a ‘chat to students online’ feature)

Ultimately if you just have to flip a coin, go for it - they’re all good places!
Original post by becausethenight

They’re all considered to be very good universities and they’re all in central London, so you’re right that there’s not that much seriously different between them. I have no idea how particularly they’re regarded for Law, so I can’t really advise on that, or how different the courses are (I imagine they can’t be too different as they’re all preparing you for a career in Law, but you may want to have a look a different self-selected modules etc?)

You might be able to do online video tours if that would help you make a decision. You might also want to look at the societies and student life - can’t imagine they’ll be massively different, though, but if you have a specific sport you want to do etc. Do you know any current students you could speak to? (I think KCL has a ‘chat to students online’ feature)

Ultimately if you just have to flip a coin, go for it - they’re all good places!

They are amazing for Law so I really recommend OP to base their choice on preference in course as they are all in location and look at what each unis offers and the difference between them. Great advice honestly PRSOM
Original post by becausethenight

Thanks a ton! I somehow failed to consider looking at self-selected modules, I'd just ran with the fact that first and I think second year courses are predetermined, but I'll definitely have to consider them. And yup, the video tours would be nice, but if I'm being totally honest, the campus isn't a huge factor for me, esp. because all of them are located in London. In regards to societies/student life, I'm kinda ambivalent, I'll definitely make use of the available resources, but UCL's Law Society is pretty darn appealing.

I've been using the forums on the offer holder sites, but I don't have any actual connections at any universities lol.

Original post by PetitePanda
They are amazing for Law so I really recommend OP to base their choice on preference in course as they are all in location and look at what each unis offers and the difference between them. Great advice honestly PRSOM

Yup, I'll definitely check out the courses!

Thanks y'all, I just didn't want to be making a decision if there was some crucial distinction I was missing.
Reply 4
Not sure about LSE and UCL but the deadline for guaranteed accommodation at KCL is tomorrow and the accommodation process for kcl can take over 2 weeks to complete. Just wanted to let you know because as you're International student, I'm sure accommodation is important.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply