GCSE Science Oxford AQA Approved Textbooks VS CGP

Watch
Leo246
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello,
Is the CGP book too simplified or does the Oxford textbook include too much information? For example, I was revising competition in communities and the textbook talks about how organisms compete for resources but the CGP book just lists the resources organisms compete with each other for. The specification does not include how organisms compete for resources. I really need opinions and advice on the both please as I would really like to achieve an 8.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Tbh the CGP is good for GCSE and Oxford is good for A levels as you need a lot of information for A levels. I would go for the CGP because I assume the oxford one is more expensive as you just need to know the specification at gcse level. However, I am biased as I havent experience Oxford textbooks at GCSE standard so hopefully someone can give a perspective on them.
MotivationStudy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Leo246)
Hello,
Is the CGP book too simplified or does the Oxford textbook include too much information? For example, I was revising competition in communities and the textbook talks about how organisms compete for resources but the CGP book just lists the resources organisms compete with each other for. The specification does not include how organisms compete for resources. I really need opinions and advice on the both please as I would really like to achieve an 8.
CGP produced their text books very earlier on in the process of development of the new GCSE Science curriculum. Unfortunately, this meant that a little of the content of the books doesn't match the specification, as there were some changes made to the specifications later on. However, IMO the major problem with these text books is that there is insufficient depth to the explanations, and the practice questions are not very challenging, particularly if you are targetting grages 6 and above. CGP's revision guides and revision workbooks are much better value.

As a science teacher, I would recommend Hodder Education series of text books: https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/su...ogy-student-bo
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Leo246)
Hello,
No 'one' book covers everything, and you should be looking to use a variety of sources if you want to access the highest grades. CGP books have their uses, and many students find them useful but they are often short on detail and couldn't be used in isolation. Similarly, the Oxford books aren't enough on their own really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.44%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads