The Student Room Group

Weight gain

I'm a 19 year old female, 5"8 and 170lbs. I used to be 130 but gained a lot of weight at uni. I've been dieting for a while now but haven't been losing much weight. In fact I've recently gained more. I'm not moving as much as I used to now that we're in lockdown but I've also not been eating nearly as much. Why have o not been losing weight even though I'm in a calorie deficit? I've also noticed weight gain since starting erythromycin however websites I've read have said that it can cause weight loss? Why have I not experienced this?? I'm getting a bit desperate now so any advice would be helpful
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Can’t speak for the erythromycin but as we get older our metabolic rates change a bit.

Especially being in lockdown I really recommend at least going on a couple walks a week
Original post by fionawalker
I'm a 19 year old female, 5"8 and 170lbs. I used to be 130 but gained a lot of weight at uni. I've been dieting for a while now but haven't been losing much weight. In fact I've recently gained more. I'm not moving as much as I used to now that we're in lockdown but I've also not been eating nearly as much. Why have o not been losing weight even though I'm in a calorie deficit? I've also noticed weight gain since starting erythromycin however websites I've read have said that it can cause weight loss? Why have I not experienced this?? I'm getting a bit desperate now so any advice would be helpful
Thanks

Unfortunately, going off BMI those measurements place you in the overweight category and verging on obese. You need to stop eating cakes, biscuits, sugar foods in general. Make sure most of you intake is from fruit and vegetables. You’re not in a calorific deficit if you’re not losing weight.
Important to exercise. If the weight you loose is as muscle your metabolism decreases more than if the loss is as fats. It’s also possible that you’re in too much of a calorie deficit. I have done this before and the weight comes off a little in the first week but then it plateaus. This feels really defeating because you’re reducing your calories but not seeing results. Start with a sustainable calorie goal and never go below say 1200 calories or your body could begin to think it’s in starvation mode and store more foods (this is behind the plateau). Instead start with a goal of around 1300-400. Assuming you were previously eating 1800-1900 (recommended goal for a woman), this calorie deficit even without exercise creates a weekly deficit of 3500 calories which is equal to about a pound of weightloss a week. Alternatively you could eat 100 calories more and then exercise to burn those calories back off. Doesn’t matter how you create the deficit as long as it’s not too extreme. Use an app like ‘myfitnesspal’ to track calories. Results are not instantaneous and you cannot expect them to be. I like to weigh myself every morning at the same time (after your first trip to the toilet in the morning is best) and then take an average over the week. It’s a better reflection of your weight just in case you weight yourself once a week and you’ve put on weight which could demotivate you when actually it could just be a day high for water retention, or due to PMS symptoms etc. Hope some of these insights help
Reply 4
Original post by fionawalker
Thanks

Are you actually tracking how many calories per week / day you are consuming? (This is the only way to know that you are "eating less" than usual). The "erythromycin" can cause vomitting/nausea/diarrhorea as side effects I am guessing the weight loss issue of this medicatoin is linked to these side effects, and you are probably not getting those side effects.
as others have said, track your calories on an app like myfitnesspal, and try to get in 10k steps per day

Quick Reply

Latest