The Student Room Group

Is medicine for me?

Basically i have other dreams apart from medicine like have a family and to help my parents love more comfortably and i do want to live abroad (korea) in the future so i don't know if it goes with my other dreams aswell and, i do not study A level biology and don't have the best gcse's aswell so i want to know whether this resolve means anything since i do enjoy learning about medical stuff because on youtube i watch a obg/yn channel and doctor mike because i find their content fun. My back up is computer science which i also find interesting.

Scroll to see replies

Try this excellent thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5678544

There are some doctors on there who will give you good advice.

Also please include your GCSE results.

If you want to spend your life working in Korea, you will need to master the language too.
The legendary and all knowing will be able to give you the in depth “don’t do medicine if you could do anything else” talk and as a real live doctor advise more on the work/life balance etc.

You can do medicine without Biology A level/less good GCSE grades (as @Oxfordmum said, have a look at some of the medicine megathreads) and probably make it work around your other goals but nothing can really make up for a lack of determination and real desire to do it.
Original post by DumbStudent:(
Basically i have other dreams apart from medicine like have a family and to help my parents love more comfortably and i do want to live abroad (korea) in the future so i don't know if it goes with my other dreams aswell and, i do not study A level biology and don't have the best gcse's aswell so i want to know whether this resolve means anything since i do enjoy learning about medical stuff because on youtube i watch a obg/yn channel and doctor mike because i find their content fun. My back up is computer science which i also find interesting.

You haven't provided too many specifics so I can only give general answers...

Family - fine, doctors get married and have kids like everyone else

Looking after your parents - fine, particularly if you design your career in a way which offers greater flexibility

Working abroad - should be fine, Korea is not a typical choice for UK graduates though. Do you speak Korean? Do you meet their citizenship requirements etc?

A levels and GCSEs - not necessarily a problem but you will need to check entry requirements carefully and may need to do resits: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Have you done any work experience?

Original post by becausethenight
The legendary and all knowing @ecolier will be able to give you the in depth don’t do medicine if you could do anything else talk and as a real live doctor advise more on the work/life balance etc.

You can do medicine without Biology A level/less good GCSE grades (as @Oxfordmum said, have a look at some of the medicine megathreads) and probably make it work around your other goals but nothing can really make up for a lack of determination and real desire to do it.

I mean, the OP's idea of "anything else" is having a family and being able to provide for their parents. Doctors are certainly able to do this and people need to be aware of this. What the OP needs is my "you're thinking about medical school, not joining a cult" talk :wink:
Original post by Democracy

I mean, the OP's idea of "anything else" is having a family and being able to provide for their parents. Doctors are certainly able to do this and people need to be aware of this. What the OP needs is my "you're thinking about medical school, not joining a cult" talk :wink:

You have a point :smile:
OP mentioned Computer Science as a second choice, which would be presumably more flexible (less cultish :wink:) if that’s their priority so :dontknow:
Reply 5
What the OP needs is my "you're thinking about medical school, not joining a cult" talk :wink:

You mean we don't have to blindly do whatever NHSE tells us??Where have you been the last 20 years? (and do not answer that if any of it involves primary school.....!)

?Korea - do you mean South Korea ...

Which A levels are you studying?
Original post by Muttley79
?Korea - do you mean South Korea ...

Which A levels are you studying?

Im studying chemisty, maths and physics so i will be at a disadvantage without biology.
And i mean south korea, i am trying to learn the language.
You haven't provided too many specifics so I can only give general answers...

Family - fine, doctors get married and have kids like everyone else

Looking after your parents - fine, particularly if you design your career in a way which offers greater flexibility

Working abroad - should be fine, Korea is not a typical choice for UK graduates though. Do you speak Korean? Do you meet their citizenship requirements etc?

A levels and GCSEs - not necessarily a problem but you will need to check entry requirements carefully and may need to do resits: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Have you done any work experience?

I have got a placement but it is now virtual so yh, but i want to volunteer but i can't in the current circumstance.
With Korea its currently a idea that i want but i might not pursue it.
I've decided to try and speak to family in both fields first but ill try medicine and I'll try to do biology to at least an as level so i have a advantage in that. Thank you for the help.
You have a point :smile:
OP mentioned Computer Science as a second choice, which would be presumably more flexible (less cultish :wink:) if that’s their priority so :dontknow:

I can remember a GP saying in the UK documentary "Doctors to be" that if you want to be either a doctor or something else, do that something else".

Seeing the pressure and stress of medicine, I would actually echo that view.
Im studying chemisty, maths and physics so i will be at a disadvantage without biology.

Learning Korean to an extent to work with Koreans in a medical setting will be incredibly difficult. You will effectively have to study Korean every single day from now until you graduate medical school to get to a proficient level!

Not having taken A-level Biology will not put you at a disadvantage per se, it will just limit the range of medical schools you could choose to apply to. I think about half-ish specifically require A-level Biology. That leaves you with certainly more than the 4 you can potentially apply to on UCAS to choose between.

Korean is another matter - bear in mind people do entire undergraduate degrees in the language to reach professional proficiency levels. It will likely be a lot of work, on top of a degree which is noted for having a pretty large amount of content to cover. @umbrellala might be able to offer some advice on the Korean language and living side of things...?
Original post by artful_lounger
Not having taken A-level Biology will not put you at a disadvantage per se, it will just limit the range of medical schools you could choose to apply to. I think about half-ish specifically require A-level Biology. That leaves you with certainly more than the 4 you can potentially apply to on UCAS to choose between.

@DumbStudent [s]frown[/s], just to add to this as you mentioned taking Biology AS - not only is @artful_lounger completely right and a good number of med schools only required chemistry + another science (check here if you don’t trust us: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf), you won’t be at any advantage at all for the ones that require Biology by taking the AS, AFAIK. Now ASs have been phased out, no universities have AS grade requirements or required ASs, and only one medical school looks at UCAS tariff points (QMUL).
Reply 14
@DumbStudent [s]frown[/s], just to add to this as you mentioned taking Biology AS - not only is @artful_lounger completely right and a good number of med schools only required chemistry + another science (check here if you don’t trust us: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf), you won’t be at any advantage at all for the ones that require Biology by taking the AS, AFAIK. Now ASs have been phased out, no universities have AS grade requirements or required ASs, and only one medical school looks at UCAS tariff points (QMUL).

An additional AS would be helpful for QUB (lowers their offer from A*AA to AAA if the AS is an A, or is accepted in lieu of a full biology A2) and Manchester if applying via their holistic route, as well as Barts.
But you are quite right that those who want a full A level would not accept an AS

Sorry I am a pedcant, but I just have a thing with people who follow on being able to read 100% accurate stuff - what you said was qualified and not wrong, but I just can't help myself :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
An additional AS would be helpful for QUB (lowers their offer from A*AA to AAA if the AS is an A, or is accepted in lieu of a full biology A2) and Manchester if applying via their holistic route, as well as Barts.
But you are quite right that those who want a full A level would not accept an AS

Sorry I am a pedcant, but I just have a thing with people who follow on being able to read 100% accurate stuff - what you said was qualified and not wrong, but I just can't help myself :frown:

No thank you for clarifying - I don't want to be misinforming people (even by omission) either :smile:

I only really know about the med schools I applied to and 'general medicine things' like not needing Biology (like most people on here, probably), so having someone like you who seems to know about the detail of admissions at all the schools is really so helpful :smile:
Reply 16
No thank you for clarifying - I don't want to be misinforming people (even by omission) either :smile:

I only really know about the med schools I applied to and 'general medicine things' like not needing Biology (like most people on here, probably), so having someone like you who seems to know about the detail of admissions at all the schools is really so helpful :smile:

Just been doing it a long time and have a weird attention to detail! Final child applying this year (hopefully), so my knowledge will dwindle rapidly and I shall shuffle off to rock on the porch!
Original post by GANFYD
Just been doing it a long time and have a weird attention to detail! Final child applying this year (hopefully), so my knowledge will dwindle rapidly and I shall shuffle off to rock on the porch!

Hahaha sounds relaxing - I imagine the varied needs of TSR med applicants might still keep the knowledge sharp though :biggrin:
Good luck to your child! I hope they're not missing out too much with schools closed.
Reply 18
Hahaha sounds relaxing - I imagine the varied needs of TSR med applicants might still keep the knowledge sharp though :biggrin:
Good luck to your child! I hope they're not missing out too much with schools closed.

He is enjoying the break! None of mine are fans of school. He is working as a receptionist/admin assistant with us to cover staff off due to coronavirus, so WEx, kept occupied and money all in one!
I shall probably be giving this up after have got #3 through, as it takes 3-4 hours a night at peak admissions time
Original post by GANFYD
He is enjoying the break! None of mine are fans of school. He is working as a receptionist/admin assistant with us to cover staff off due to coronavirus, so WEx, kept occupied and money all in one!
I shall probably be giving this up after have got #3 through, as it takes 3-4 hours a night at peak admissions time

That sounds lovely! I did a similar bit of work at a GP surgery and found it really good WEx, early intro to all the paperwork :yes:
Wow, that’s a crazy amount of work... I hope you enjoy your clearly well-deserved retirement when it comes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending