The Student Room Group

I dropped out of A levels because in the end I was too stupid In 1 subject AMA

I realised I have the IQ of a 9 year old in the end..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

What grades were you getting in the other 2 subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar

As and then my average was pulled to C and U
Reply 3

I did not fail in the subject I was stupid in, I was struggling in class though
I did not fail in the subject I was stupid in, I was struggling in class though

Do you regret the subjects you picked?
Reply 5
Do you regret the subjects you picked?

Not my other 2 subjects, just that one. I was forced to pick it at A level because my tutor thought it would go well for me

What subjects did you do, and which did you drop out of?
Reply 7
What subjects did you do, and which did you drop out of?

Sociology, English lit and maths. Dropped out of all of them
Not my other 2 subjects, just that one. I was forced to pick it at A level because my tutor thought it would go well for me

People should always choose their own subjects not their tutors .....it is likely you would do better in subjects you have more interest in (if there are any)
Reply 9
People should always choose their own subjects not their tutors .....it is likely you would do better in subjects you have more interest in (if there are any)

She thought it would go well because it’s memorising facts (as all A levels are) and it’s not thinking outside the box. I wish I didn’t give in to her pressure
She thought it would go well because it’s memorising facts (as all A levels are) and it’s not thinking outside the box. I wish I didn’t give in to her pressure

What was the subject your tutor picked?
What was the subject your tutor picked?

Sociology
Sociology, English lit and maths. Dropped out of all of them

What was the subject you hated the most
What was the subject you hated the most

Sociology, parts of English literature was a bit boring too.

Why did you hate sociology so much? So many people in my school who do it find it so interesting

Do you think you are better at more factual subjects like Business Studies/Economics/Maths/Science?
Why did you hate sociology so much? So many people in my school who do it find it so interesting

Because of the family unit which I could only grasp parts of. We were introduced to A2 after AS exams and I could barely grasp anything and out of 10 key concepts I got characteristics of 2. We were warned it’s hard, I thought we were supposed to look for definitions. I’m not the only one and my teacher saw me as a high achiever. It did not go well at gcse so how is it going to go well at A level?

It’s a Mickey Mouse subject that a 2 year old can do at AS, but A2..no.
Do you think you are better at more factual subjects like Business Studies/Economics/Maths/Science?

Good at maths, bad at science, don’t know about economics and business studies. Yes I am good at factual subjects as I didn’t have a problem with English lit and maths before and they are factual.
Good at maths, bad at science, don’t know about economics and business studies. Yes I am good at factual subjects as I didn’t have a problem with English lit and maths before and they are factual.

I wouldn't say English Lit is factual as you have to use your imagination a lot.

If I were you I would research alternative college courses such as A levels in Maths (if you were doing ok in that subject) plus Economics & Business. Or if you were starting to struggle in Maths A level, maybe a BTEC in Business and Finance if you are better at continuous assessment compared to exams
I wouldn't say English Lit is factual as you have to use your imagination a lot.

If I were you I would research alternative college courses such as A levels in Maths (if you were doing ok in that subject) plus Economics & Business. Or if you were starting to struggle in Maths A level, maybe a BTEC in Business and Finance if you are better at continuous assessment compared to exams

I was good at English lit though. Shame I got angry and deleted all of my good notes that I did when I was well.

Quick Reply