The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on the riots going on America?

Scroll to see replies

@Pinkisk

Multiple BLACK rights activists are calling for looting to stop because the looting has nothing to do with George Floyd's death.

They aren't 'rare' acts, the rioting and looting is WIDESPREAD across the US.
Original post by Occitanie
@Pinkisk

Multiple BLACK rights activists are calling for looting to stop because the looting has nothing to do with George Floyd's death.

They aren't 'rare' acts, the rioting and looting is WIDESPREAD across the US.

Let's assume that it isn't...It should not be of any relevance to you because of the other points that I mentioned, which you conveniently ignored. You and Trump consider the protestors and the looters two distinct groups. Hence, by your and Trump's logic, the latter should not be affecting the former. Yet, you contradict yourself and claim that they are. Therefore, you are being disingenuous. You claim to support a group whose intentions and actions you are doing your best to undermine by conflating them with the criminal actions of another group that you fully recognise are distinct from them.

Point of interest that many in the media are avoiding the best they can: Many of the looters are white. This is yet more evidence of racism.

(edited 3 years ago)
i think people ignore the impact non-peaceful protest has had when they say 'it doesn't need to be violent'
I personally find the riots immature particularly during these scary times, why conduct violent gathers where you are in close contact with others when others are trying to adhere to lockdown rules. It's also quite concerning that this is happening in Trafalgar square and people should still try and maintain social distancing (Obviously these are peaceful), but still you should stick to the lockdown rules. I was well in complete support of the peaceful protests and agree that they should be there in America as it is a pressing issue but some of them have turned violent and looters have capitalised on this problem.
I think it's absolutely unjustified. Why should the death of a person allow you to completely taint their legacy and commit crimes and cause chaos? I hardly think this is what he would have wanted. If people really want civil change, then they should do it peacefully. Smashing somebody's car or vandalising a family business has absolutely nothing to do with equality. I think that the people involved need to be arrested as they are 100% breaking the law.
Original post by Highrise769
What side do you agree with?

100% they should make a riot! That policeman is a despicable human who should suffer shame and embarrassment over what he has done!
But with COVID-19 at the same time? It is a dangerous concoction :no:
I feel many people will use it as an excuse to break lockdown restrictions in USA
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
100% they should make a riot! That policeman is a despicable human who should suffer shame and embarrassment over what he has done!
But with COVID-19 at the same time? It is a dangerous concoction :no:
I feel many people will use it as an excuse to break lockdown restrictions in USA

But the riot is causing the vadalism of cars, the destruction of small innocent business. And as you said with Corona, could potentially cause the deaths of more people. They should do it peacefully especially during these unprecedented times.
Original post by bingbong9214
But the riot is causing the vadalism of cars, the destruction of small innocent business. And as you said with Corona, could potentially cause the deaths of more people. They should do it peacefully especially during these unprecedented times.

I think that is people using it as an excuse to be violent. People who are truly against the discrimination that took place should know not to cause that much damage themsleves. I definitely think they should launch an investigation into the issue as soon as this has settled though :sadnod:

Unfortunately in the US peaceful protests are met with police violence in many places leading to protests turning into riots.
Reply 69

Bit of a contradiction in terms :wink:
Reply 70
Original post by DiddyDec
Unfortunately in the US peaceful protests are met with police violence in many places leading to protests turning into riots.

There was a rather good post i saw somewhere on the matter noting that when they were peaceful (for instance the kneeling campaign) they caught flack for it so why not try this instead.
Original post by Napp
Bit of a contradiction in terms :wink:

A riot is never peaceful though haha. How is it contradictory?
Original post by Napp
There was a rather good post i saw somewhere on the matter noting that when they were peaceful (for instance the kneeling campaign) they caught flack for it so why not try this instead.

People on the street seem to focus the mind far better than symbolic protest.
Reply 73
A riot is never peaceful though haha. How is it contradictory?

You said they should riot peacefully, i said that that is a contradiction.
Original post by Napp
You said they should riot peacefully, i said that that is a contradiction.

My bad I understand the confusion, I meant in that they should protest peacefully rather than rioting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending