JamThatJam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
As it's getting towards the end of this academic year,I wanted to start a thread just to chat to other people hoping to start a teacher training application for a September 2021 start. I want to do a School Direct Primary and I'm currently in contact with an advisor from Get into Teaching and in the process of writing my personal statement.

Here's just a little bit of information about me:
I am currently studying Education Studies at the University of Hertfordshire and have just finished my second year. I have been doing voluntary work at a primary school for just over 2½ years. I'm also doing part time work as a group leader at a holiday camp .

How is everyone getting on with their applications? I would love to know and meet others who are on the same boat as me
abbiesuzanne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey there! I just finished third year and have received an offer for the School Direct Primary PGCE at the University of Wolverhampton. Just finished my undergrad in Early Childhood Studies. I've also had about 3 years of experience in early years/primary settings. Let me know if you need a hand with anything
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by abbiesuzanne)
Hey there! I just finished third year and have received an offer for the School Direct Primary PGCE at the University of Wolverhampton. Just finished my undergrad in Early Childhood Studies. I've also had about 3 years of experience in early years/primary settings. Let me know if you need a hand with anything
Hey, congrats on the offer! Just a really random question- do they tell you what year group you’re working in when they give you an offer and can you pick the phase you want to work in i.e. KS1/2?
abbiesuzanne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AtProjectCiampa)
Hey, congrats on the offer! Just a really random question- do they tell you what year group you’re working in when they give you an offer and can you pick the phase you want to work in i.e. KS1/2?
Thank you! I haven't been told anything yet. During interview process I was asked to read a short story to a year group of my choice (didn't go ahead because of corona). Aside from that I've been told I will get the oppportunity to experience all Primary Key Stages.
Cookie0799
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As it's getting towards the end of this academic year,I wanted to start a thread just to chat to other people hoping to start a teacher training application for a September 2021 start. I want to do a School Direct Primary and I'm currently in contact with an advisor from Get into Teaching and in the process of writing my personal statement.

Here's just a little bit of information about me:
I am currently studying Education Studies at the University of Hertfordshire and have just finished my second year. I have been doing voluntary work at a primary school for just over 2½ years. I'm also doing part time work as a group leader at a holiday camp .

How is everyone getting on with their applications? I would love to know and meet others who are on the same boat as me
Hi there I'm hoping to do PGCE Secondary Chemistry at UWE or Uni of Bristol (not sure yet).

I'm currently studying Biochemistry and am on placement year right now. I have limited classroom experience but have been volunteering as a STEM ambassador with my company. I've written my personal statement but need to get a few more people to check it - I need to get a Get into Teaching advisor!
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cookie0799)
Hi there I'm hoping to do PGCE Secondary Chemistry at UWE or Uni of Bristol (not sure yet).

I'm currently studying Biochemistry and am on placement year right now. I have limited classroom experience but have been volunteering as a STEM ambassador with my company. I've written my personal statement but need to get a few more people to check it - I need to get a Get into Teaching advisor!
Hey! I don't think that experience will be an important requirement next year as it is basically impossible to gain experience right now due to the school closures. I think that there is some sort of virtual classroom experience on the Get into Teaching website but I haven't really had a look it it yet.

How did you find writing your personal statement?. After I thought I finished mine, I found out that I used too many lines even if it wasn't over 4000 characters :mad: so now I'm in the process of trimming it down.
Cookie0799
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! I don't think that experience will be an important requirement next year as it is basically impossible to gain experience right now due to the school closures. I think that there is some sort of virtual classroom experience on the Get into Teaching website but I haven't really had a look it it yet.

How did you find writing your personal statement?. After I thought I finished mine, I found out that I used too many lines even if it wasn't over 4000 characters :mad: so now I'm in the process of trimming it down.
I'm hoping so too, I wish I'd gotten more in my second year now! I will have to have a look at that, I haven't had time to ring Get into Teaching yet - I think I will over the summer, I signed up online but that didn't seem to amount to anything.

I found it ok - to be honest though as I'm applying for a shortage subject I'm not too stressed about the content of my application which is maybe not the best attitude but at least I'm still on top of things! I've been typing it out in word and at the moment I'm under the character and line limit but I know it doesn't exactly translate into the UCAS application so I'm expecting to need to cut it down. I found separating the different parts extremely challenging though - I tried to do a paragraph on why I want to be a teacher, paragraph on teaching experience and then a paragraph on other experience but there is literally so much overlap the different sections are essentially meaningless!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm hoping so too, I wish I'd gotten more in my second year now! I will have to have a look at that, I haven't had time to ring Get into Teaching yet - I think I will over the summer, I signed up online but that didn't seem to amount to anything.

I found it ok - to be honest though as I'm applying for a shortage subject I'm not too stressed about the content of my application which is maybe not the best attitude but at least I'm still on top of things! I've been typing it out in word and at the moment I'm under the character and line limit but I know it doesn't exactly translate into the UCAS application so I'm expecting to need to cut it down. I found separating the different parts extremely challenging though - I tried to do a paragraph on why I want to be a teacher, paragraph on teaching experience and then a paragraph on other experience but there is literally so much overlap the different sections are essentially meaningless!
Hello Cookie0799

Once you registered on the website for Get into Teaching, you ought to have received a call from one of our agents. They would have been calling to offer you an adviser to help you to choose your teacher training course providers, to draft the personal statement and make it fit within the line/character allowance, and to help you to prepare for interviews.

As you've not received this call, I recommend you call us and you'll have an adviser asap! (0800 389 2500 - Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 5pm)

All the best, Jane
Cookie0799
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello Cookie0799

Once you registered on the website for Get into Teaching, you ought to have received a call from one of our agents. They would have been calling to offer you an adviser to help you to choose your teacher training course providers, to draft the personal statement and make it fit within the line/character allowance, and to help you to prepare for interviews.

As you've not received this call, I recommend you call us and you'll have an adviser asap! (0800 389 2500 - Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 5pm)

All the best, Jane
Thanks Jane! I will phone next week
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey guys, you're all very keen. I'm mostly just posting to sub to this thread so I can sticky it when 2021 applications open. I'm a current NQT and help look after the teaching forum on TSR, and I can answer most questions about teacher training, so do feel free to tag me in. Don't forget that TSR also offers the PS review service, and we do review personal statements for ITT students.

For a 5-11 PGCE/ITT course, you'll usually be expected to get experience across both key stages. Usually you'll be told which class you'll be working with when, but if you want to gain more experience with a particular age group or area (e.g. SEN) you can sometimes request this.

I don't think many people will have lots of classroom experience for the 2020-2021 application cycle, however, do bear in mind there really is no need to apply straight away- it may be easier to get some classroom experience in the spring term, and there will still be loads of places available then.

Also, don't forget you can get your PS reviewed on TSR (but only once, so make sure it's as close to finished as possible before submitting it for review).
C_L_W
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ll add my name to the list. I’m not ready to apply yet but will be when UCAS opens. I have been working as a TA in a Primary School for the last 5 years and have just completed my foundation degree. I have a place on the BA hons top up degree for this September. Very excited to be nearly there...
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm planning on doing a PGCE (Secondary English) next year. However, I need to get a grade 4 in the Maths equivalency test first! So I'm spending this time in lockdown revising and practising. It's going slower than I'd hope but at least I'm spending my time productively.

I know I can apply whenever as long as I get my grade prior to the starting date of the course but I hope I can pass by the end of this year. But I start as an unqualified teacher in September so I'm a bit worried I won't have the time to do my maths (hence why I'm trying to fit everything in now).

However, there's only 3 unis in Birmingham that offer a PGCE in Secondary English and I think only two of them offer QTS. But as I've seen that their 2021 course isn't available to apply to (to that of my knowledge anyway). So I think once I pass the maths, I'll get started on my PS (hopefully over the Xmas holidays).
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by C_L_W)
I’ll add my name to the list. I’m not ready to apply yet but will be when UCAS opens. I have been working as a TA in a Primary School for the last 5 years and have just completed my foundation degree. I have a place on the BA hons top up degree for this September. Very excited to be nearly there...
Sounds good! Where are you looking at applying?
Last edited by JamThatJam; 4 months ago
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
I'm planning on doing a PGCE (Secondary English) next year. However, I need to get a grade 4 in the Maths equivalency test first! So I'm spending this time in lockdown revising and practising. It's going slower than I'd hope but at least I'm spending my time productively.

I know I can apply whenever as long as I get my grade prior to the starting date of the course but I hope I can pass by the end of this year. But I start as an unqualified teacher in September so I'm a bit worried I won't have the time to do my maths (hence why I'm trying to fit everything in now).

However, there's only 3 unis in Birmingham that offer a PGCE in Secondary English and I think only two of them offer QTS. But as I've seen that their 2021 course isn't available to apply to (to that of my knowledge anyway). So I think once I pass the maths, I'll get started on my PS (hopefully over the Xmas holidays).
You should be able to get them done soon! Have you contacted unis about it? I think 2021 applications open in October
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You should be able to get them done soon! Have you contacted unis about it? I think 2021 applications open in October
Oh wow, really? I didn't think they open so soon!

Tbh, I don't really want to apply that early because I think my school is hoping I do Teach First with them (which I really don't want to do because Teach First and the school is awful). I want to hold it off as much as possible and let them know I'll be leaving as late as possible (by May).

I know I have a long time to do my Maths - until next year Sept but because I'm not eligible for SfE, I need to save as much as I can. If I apply as soon as October, I'd have to tell my school (references/school experience) on the application so sooner or later, my school would find out. And let's just say, the HT makes it almost impossible for their staff to leave - they take it very personally so I'd be scared to tell them so early in case they try and mess up my application (I've seen this happen with a few colleagues - the HoD in another dept. and the HT made it impossible for an trainee/NQT to leave for interviews. But if I get at least 1 and at the most 2 terms of teaching under my belt, it would strengthen my application and my finances.
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
Oh wow, really? I didn't think they open so soon!

Tbh, I don't really want to apply that early because I think my school is hoping I do Teach First with them (which I really don't want to do because Teach First and the school is awful). I want to hold it off as much as possible and let them know I'll be leaving as late as possible (by May).

I know I have a long time to do my Maths - until next year Sept but because I'm not eligible for SfE, I need to save as much as I can. If I apply as soon as October, I'd have to tell my school (references/school experience) on the application so sooner or later, my school would find out. And let's just say, the HT makes it almost impossible for their staff to leave - they take it very personally so I'd be scared to tell them so early in case they try and mess up my application (I've seen this happen with a few colleagues - the HoD in another dept. and the HT made it impossible for an trainee/NQT to leave for interviews. But if I get at least 1 and at the most 2 terms of teaching under my belt, it would strengthen my application and my finances.
Why don’t you try contacting Get Into Teaching? If you’re school that you’re unhappy at then certainly don’t apply to train with them. I’d certainly recommend talking to Get Into Teaching as they’ll give you good advise. I’ve also heard a lot of negative things about Teach First, as they want to build leaders not teachers. You could always try your luck with salaried school direct or a SCITT as well.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
:hello:
2020/21 PGCE student here, feel free to quote me here with any questions about interviews/the application process etc.

C_L_W
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sounds good! Where are you looking at applying?
I’m undecided. I don’t know whether to do a PGCE or a SCITT. I think I would miss the classroom to much if I did a PGCE.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Courses for 2021 won't open up until about October, so that's why you can't apply yet. If you want to teach in state schools, then look for courses that offer QTS. Have you looked at Schools Direct or Scitts in the area?
aen21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi!

I'm thinking of applying for a PGCE in Secondary Geography, either at Durham or with a SCITT.

I'm still anxious about a few things though-I graduated 2 years ago and have been doing my first proper adult job ever since. I don't know whether it's worth taking the plunge and starting a new career path or not, because my current career path isn't as enjoyable as I hoped it would be! I have been involved with teaching volunteers as part of my job and that's the bit I have enjoyed the most, so teaching seemed like something worth pursuing. I don't have any teaching experience in schools (I have taught adult volunteers, and have done some craft activities with younger children), so I'm worried that I won't get onto a course? Clearly getting experience would resolve this but I worry I will only be able to get online experience (because covid), and not get a true picture of what teaching is really like. My degree is also in Archaeology (but I have an A level in Geography) so I don't know if I need to do a SKE course. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.75%
I'm not sure (32)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (225)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (347)
48.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise