SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by AtProjectCiampa)
Hey guys
I was just thinking about the skills tests. As far as I'm aware, they've been scrapped now, haven't they? What might we have to do from September, instead of skills tests? will we have to do lots of different tests at each interview, or will there be one test that we need to pass before we get shortlisted for an interview?
They were scrapped for most of the last application cycle too.

I think most unis have done an individual test at each interview (this sometimes happened in the past as well). There won't be any national/standardised testing, that was the point of scrapping the skills tests
emilyk82
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi All!

I was supposed to be starting my teaching career with Teach First this September but due to the pandemic they cut 120 people from their programme; unfortunately, I was one of them!

I'm now looking into alternative routes into teaching as I have lost trust in the Teach First route! I am thinking of going via the PGCE route at my local university, but have not had any experience in the classroom (not required for Teach First). Just wondering how everyone is feeling about the possibility of getting classroom experience before applying with schools currently being shut and probably still being limited in numbers come September?

Also, any tips on the application process for the PGCE route would be muchly appreciated as I'm new to it! Really want to get my teaching career going as it's already been put on hold for a year Image

Thanks again! Image
JamThatJam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by emilyk82)
Hi All!

I was supposed to be starting my teaching career with Teach First this September but due to the pandemic they cut 120 people from their programme; unfortunately, I was one of them!

I'm now looking into alternative routes into teaching as I have lost trust in the Teach First route! I am thinking of going via the PGCE route at my local university, but have not had any experience in the classroom (not required for Teach First). Just wondering how everyone is feeling about the possibility of getting classroom experience before applying with schools currently being shut and probably still being limited in numbers come September?

Also, any tips on the application process for the PGCE route would be muchly appreciated as I'm new to it! Really want to get my teaching career going as it's already been put on hold for a year Image

Thanks again! Image
Hey!
Sorry to hear that you lost your place with Teach First. In my opinion, it's better to do a PGCE rather than Teach First as TF seem to throw you in an the deep end and give you a class straight away. I've also heard that most people who do a TF seem to not want to be teachers in the long term, with many dropping out after a couple of years to do a "better job". With a PGCE, they will ease you into teaching by building up the hours that you teach for. As far as I'm aware, you don't really need any school experience to do a PGCE, although some providers may say "it may be beneficial ".

I got rejected from Teach First due to my degree not being in an academic subject and I'm looking at doing a school direct course as I want my training to be school centred rather than uni centred.

Hopefully schools might allow people to get experience from January!
Last edited by JamThatJam; 10 months ago
emilyk82
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JamThatJam)
Hey!
Sorry to hear that you lost your place with Teach First. In my opinion, it's better to do a PGCE rather than Teach First as TF seem to throw you in an the deep end and give you a class straight away. I've also heard that most people who do a TF seem to not want to be teachers in the long term, with many dropping out after a couple of years to do a "better job". With a PGCE, they will ease you into teaching by building up the hours that you teach for. As far as I'm aware, you don't really need any school experience to do a PGCE, although some providers may say "it may be beneficial ".

I got rejected from Teach First due to my degree not being in an academic subject and I'm looking at doing a school direct course as I want my training to be school centred rather than uni centred.

Hopefully schools might allow people to get experience from January!
Hey, thanks for your response.

Yes I know Teach First definitely had a bad rep for that, I chose it originally as I wanted to train to teach but as I already have a Masters I did not know whether I would get any financial support for a PGCE so when looking into other routes Teach First made the most sense as I could learn to teach and get a salary!
I did not know that you do not require experience for a PGCE! That makes me feel better about applying in October. I think I may also look into the school direct route, want to consider all of my options as that's where I went wrong last time and it has meant I am stuck without a second option now!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, thanks for your response.

Yes I know Teach First definitely had a bad rep for that, I chose it originally as I wanted to train to teach but as I already have a Masters I did not know whether I would get any financial support for a PGCE so when looking into other routes Teach First made the most sense as I could learn to teach and get a salary!
I did not know that you do not require experience for a PGCE! That makes me feel better about applying in October. I think I may also look into the school direct route, want to consider all of my options as that's where I went wrong last time and it has meant I am stuck without a second option now!
Hey,

Just so you know, ITT courses aren't covered by the equivalent qualification rules, so you will be able to get funding for a PGCE too.

Sorry to hear about what happened with you Teach First place, that's so tough. I'm sure all ITT providers will be flexible around experience at the moment- but if you're applying for 2021 entry, there will hopefully be time later in the year to get some experience in schools.

There may also still be some PGCE providers left with places for this September, but I can understand if you want to give it a year!
emilyk82
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hey,

Just so you know, ITT courses aren't covered by the equivalent qualification rules, so you will be able to get funding for a PGCE too.

Sorry to hear about what happened with you Teach First place, that's so tough. I'm sure all ITT providers will be flexible around experience at the moment- but if you're applying for 2021 entry, there will hopefully be time later in the year to get some experience in schools.

There may also still be some PGCE providers left with places for this September, but I can understand if you want to give it a year!
Hi!

Thank you for that information, I was so unsure about whether I could get funding and it's not made clear on most student finance websites.

I got in contact with my local university and they have informed me that there are still places available for their intake in September, so going to look into the application process and see if I feel ready to go for it.

Any tips on what to write in my application etc. would be really appreciated
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi!

Thank you for that information, I was so unsure about whether I could get funding and it's not made clear on most student finance websites.

I got in contact with my local university and they have informed me that there are still places available for their intake in September, so going to look into the application process and see if I feel ready to go for it.

Any tips on what to write in my application etc. would be really appreciated
Hey

There's hopefully some useful info on this thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6193808

TSR do also offer personal statement reviews when you get to that stage!
onthedottedline
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm basically looking to apply to Manchester uni as one of my options for a primary PGCE, but on the website it says that you only gain a recommendation for QTS. My other options have 'with QTS' in the degree title and the Manchester one doesn't, but on the website it says you'll gain it with the course. It's really confusing and I definitely don't want to apply if I don't even get QTS, but I had my heart set on Manchester. Could anyone clear this up?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by onthedottedline)
Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm basically looking to apply to Manchester uni as one of my options for a primary PGCE, but on the website it says that you only gain a recommendation for QTS. My other options have 'with QTS' in the degree title and the Manchester one doesn't, but on the website it says you'll gain it with the course. It's really confusing and I definitely don't want to apply if I don't even get QTS, but I had my heart set on Manchester. Could anyone clear this up?
The with QTS is a bit misleading- unis/ITT courses don't actually award QTS, they just put you forwards for it- the final ward comes from the National Council of Teaching and Learning (in England). So some unis say recommended for QTS, which is more accurate but maybe seen as a bit old fashioned?

As long as the uni is happy to put you forwards for QTS, you will get it, so if you want to apply for Manchester then go for it.
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 10 months ago
alanacglover95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am in the exact same position as yourself! I also plan on starting a PGCE Secondary English next Sep but trying to get on a course to begin my Maths equivalency qualification. It is reassuring to hear that I am not the only person in this situation! Best of luck to you!
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
:hello:
2020/21 PGCE student here, feel free to quote me here with any questions about interviews/the application process etc.

Hi, I'm looking for advice, if anyone can help me?

I want to apply for a PGCE Secondary in History for 2021 entry, and here are my questions:
1. When should I apply?
2. Do I need my experience before I apply, or can I get it after applying?

I have some experience in schools, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get any soon, with everything that's going on! Here's my experience:
- 4 days in a high school in 2019
- I did a teaching pathway 2 years in a row where I had to learn how to plan a lesson and then present the lesson to a class of college students
- I also taught classes of new students in college on induction day

I know this isn't a lot! I might be getting a job from September to December, though, so I won't have any days to go and get experience from schools until at least January.
Can anyone help me? I know that apparently experience isn't a requirement, but History is competitive and I want to stand a good chance of getting on to the course!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
Hi, I'm looking for advice, if anyone can help me?

I want to apply for a PGCE Secondary in History for 2021 entry, and here are my questions:
1. When should I apply?
2. Do I need my experience before I apply, or can I get it after applying?

I have some experience in schools, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get any soon, with everything that's going on! Here's my experience:
- 4 days in a high school in 2019
- I did a teaching pathway 2 years in a row where I had to learn how to plan a lesson and then present the lesson to a class of college students
- I also taught classes of new students in college on induction day

I know this isn't a lot! I might be getting a job from September to December, though, so I won't have any days to go and get experience from schools until at least January.
Can anyone help me? I know that apparently experience isn't a requirement, but History is competitive and I want to stand a good chance of getting on to the course!
To me that level of experience would be fine to submit an application with. I think that the amount of experience isn't a crucial element (even though 1 day wouldn't be enough and the more = definitely the better), you aren't going to be punished for having done 4 days in a high school instead of 5. You've also had a range of experiences - which will be helpful to you.

In terms of when to apply, I'd advise to apply early if you can (ie November time), but when you make your application you will see whether the providers you wish to apply to are open to applicants at that time or if you perhaps need to wait / make some choices.

It's quite reasonable in my view for you to include in your application that you intend to do some more school experience in 2021, pending the public health situation. I suspect there'll be a lot of applicants hampered by the pandemic in being able to get school experience so to have anything at this stage is good. :yy:

Does this help? :curious:
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
To me that level of experience would be fine to submit an application with. I think that the amount of experience isn't a crucial element (even though 1 day wouldn't be enough and the more = definitely the better), you aren't going to be punished for having done 4 days in a high school instead of 5. You've also had a range of experiences - which will be helpful to you.

In terms of when to apply, I'd advise to apply early if you can (ie November time), but when you make your application you will see whether the providers you wish to apply to are open to applicants at that time or if you perhaps need to wait / make some choices.

It's quite reasonable in my view for you to include in your application that you intend to do some more school experience in 2021, pending the public health situation. I suspect there'll be a lot of applicants hampered by the pandemic in being able to get school experience so to have anything at this stage is good. :yy:

Does this help? :curious:
That's great, thank you so much, you've taken a weight off my mind!
ub123abc123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys,
I'm starting my personal statement to apply to a History SCITT programme however I'm suddenly getting really nervous about my subject knowledge. I don't have a history degree or alA level but I just finished politics and IR at university which covered a substantial amount of history just not what's in the curriculum.
Has anyone got any advice on how to improve subject knowledge and if there's even a point applying because I feel like the interview stages are really rigorous which makes me even more nervous.
Sorry for the rambling would just appreciate any advice or reassurance.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ub123abc123)
Hi guys,
I'm starting my personal statement to apply to a History SCITT programme however I'm suddenly getting really nervous about my subject knowledge. I don't have a history degree or alA level but I just finished politics and IR at university which covered a substantial amount of history just not what's in the curriculum.
Has anyone got any advice on how to improve subject knowledge and if there's even a point applying because I feel like the interview stages are really rigorous which makes me even more nervous.
There's definitely a point in applying. Get yourself some KS3 textbooks on medieval history and early modern history (second hand if you like) and start reading and making notes. That's what I'm doing this summer in advance of starting the PGCE.

With a Pol/IR background I'm guessing the history you're familiar with is the 20th century stuff? So Russia, civil rights, Vietnam maybe?
At interview they're likely to go through a bit of a checklist of bits of the curriculum you do and don't know. It's fine to not know stuff - your offer is unlikely to hinge on it. But they might make you go on an SKE course before you start the PGCE if you need it.
ub123abc123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There's definitely a point in applying. Get yourself some KS3 textbooks on medieval history and early modern history (second hand if you like) and start reading and making notes. That's what I'm doing this summer in advance of starting the PGCE.

With a Pol/IR background I'm guessing the history you're familiar with is the 20th century stuff? So Russia, civil rights, Vietnam maybe?
At interview they're likely to go through a bit of a checklist of bits of the curriculum you do and don't know. It's fine to not know stuff - your offer is unlikely to hinge on it. But they might make you go on an SKE course before you start the PGCE if you need it.
Hi thanks for the quick response!
I'll definitely get onto the KS3 revision then.
My degree covered mainly modern history and then one aspect was ancient Greece - the Peloponnesian war. The rest was ideology and statistics.
I feel like I used the same skills as they would in a history degree so I would be okay on that front will just need to solidify the knowledge.
Thank you again!
__Kardos__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey, I'm a 2021 applicant from London! Here's a brief introduction:

I'm heading into my third year of my BA Education degree. Ideally, I'd be applying for a Primary PGCE at either UCL, Cambridge or Birmingham. However, I am now exploring the School Direct route too. I have experiences with children and young people. I worked as a TA during my gap year and brief experiences at an activity club and museum.

I can't wait to see how everything unfolds for us all over the next year.

Work experiences in schools are hard to come by atm, but any experiences with children or young people would be ideal. Remember, 85% of learning occurs outside of the classroom.
Last edited by __Kardos__; 6 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ub123abc123)
Hi guys,
Honestly, as someone who applied with a degree that wasn't the subject I applied to teach, what I did was email unis before hand and see how they would view my application. A few said they wouldn't consider me, but lots said they would, and I targeted my applications and got 3 offers.

There was no really rigorous assessment of my subject knowledge at any of my interviews- it was more about my ability to teach/enthusiasm for teaching.

I did do an SKE on agreement with the uni I chose before starting the course, which really helped with my subject knowledge. I'm not sure if these are available for History, though.
bitofageek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi All
I'm currently in my final year of an MEng Engineering at Oxford and looking to apply for my Secondary Maths PGCE starting in Sept 2021. I have school experience, but none in primary and due to COVID my most recent experience was in October 2019! Will this be Okay for applications? I am thinking about applying to Oxford and UCL. On that, can you apply for multiple Schools Direct and a PGCE at the same Uni e.g. 2 Schools Direct through UCL and the UCL programme itself??
Thanks!
Last edited by bitofageek; 8 months ago
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi aen21

It is totally fine to be anxious as its a change of career you are looking at, you’re in good company however. Every year, many people decide to move from other careers into teaching. You may find the career changer stories on our website useful: https://getintoteaching.education.go...hanger-stories. They are about current teachers' and trainees' experiences of school life, training, supporting students, and more.
Hope this helps
Olivia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (140)
72.92%
No (52)
27.08%

Watched Threads