The Student Room Group

Always changing my mind about a career

I think the title says it all, but yeah. I’ve had way too many different career ideas and I can’t make up my mind for what to go for. People say ‘oh go for what you’ll enjoy’ but I don’t know what I’d enjoy. I have quite a few interests (e.g. art, psychology, neuroscience) but things like neuroscience require you to do a medical degree first and THEN do it as a Master’s, and I highly doubt I’m smart enough to do Medicine. And then I start thinking of the negative parts of each career (e.g. not earning enough), or a new idea suddenly comes up and it seems better than the previous one so I abandon the previous one, so it’s just a never ending cycle of different idea changes. Has anyone else felt like this? And how do i overcome this, because everyone else seems to have a secure idea of what they want to do in the future.
Reply 1
To be honest I 100000% relate with this. I’m always changing my career path, it’s very hard to find something to stick to
Do work experience in all the things you're interested in, do research, educate yourself in each topic and the one you find the most interesting and if you can actually vision yourself doing it, choose that one.

One thing I will say is, do not care about the salary, neuroscience may pay a lot more than art but will you wake up everyday and think 'today will be good' or regret your whole life on your deathbed just because you wanted to chase money instead of passion.
Original post by thunder_sheep
I think the title says it all, but yeah. I’ve had way too many different career ideas and I can’t make up my mind for what to go for. People say ‘oh go for what you’ll enjoy’ but I don’t know what I’d enjoy. I have quite a few interests (e.g. art, psychology, neuroscience) but things like neuroscience require you to do a medical degree first and THEN do it as a Master’s, and I highly doubt I’m smart enough to do Medicine. And then I start thinking of the negative parts of each career (e.g. not earning enough), or a new idea suddenly comes up and it seems better than the previous one so I abandon the previous one, so it’s just a never ending cycle of different idea changes. Has anyone else felt like this? And how do i overcome this, because everyone else seems to have a secure idea of what they want to do in the future.

Some of the most interesting people I've met had no idea of what they wanted to do as a career, and some still don't! I would advise you to pick something though and stick to it, even if you don't think it's going to be a 'forever' career: otherwise you could find 25 years go by and you still haven't quite decided what to do.
Reply 4
To be honest I don't even think pepole necessarily need to stick to one career choice. I know plenty of people that switch jobs every 5 years or so because they enjoy change and new challenges keep them motivated. If you really can't find one thing you're particularly interested in then maybe pursue something like maths, computer sciece or business, that will equip you with skills that could be useful in numerous industries. You might end up landing on a career path by chance that you really enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending