The Student Room Group

Going from a small car to a bigger one?

So currently have a corsa 3 door thats not very wide or long and just now had a very close near miss due to turning out left and a van being too far across on my side so i had to turn tight and back wheel went up curb but it made me realise how good it is to have a small car, i'm thinking of getting an Audi A3 which is much longer and wider and im wondering how you handle driving something much bigger? i feel like if i were in an audi or BMW or something wide and longer there i wouldn't of been able to turn so do you just wait or something lol.

I've only been driving less than a year and dont drive much due to not liking manual and when i do drive its miles on motorway but i don't think my driving had anything to do with it, how do you overcome driving something much bigger in tighter places like tight left/right turns or turning into a space?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Tbh even the 4 door A3 isn't much bigger than a Corsa. I think it's a matter of adjustment and you'll just get used to having a bigger car and naturally just adapt to bulkier dimensions.
Longer cars are generally easier to control, but it all doesn't matter, since we have ESP system, even monkeys are capable of driving.
Reply 3
Yeah, the A3 doesn't seem that much bigger now that i think about it thanks for the replies.
After a week or 2 you will get used to it and think what you were worrying about, i used to have a seat ibiza then a seat leon which is basically the same as an A3. Mine had front and rear sensors which are very useful, an A3 should have them too.
My A4 felt like a bit of a barge when I upped from a Corsa but got used to it within a few days (no sensors on either)
Original post by Nick6501
So currently have a corsa 3 door thats not very wide or long and just now had a very close near miss due to turning out left and a van being too far across on my side so i had to turn tight and back wheel went up curb but it made me realise how good it is to have a small car, i'm thinking of getting an Audi A3 which is much longer and wider and im wondering how you handle driving something much bigger? i feel like if i were in an audi or BMW or something wide and longer there i wouldn't of been able to turn so do you just wait or something lol.

I've only been driving less than a year and dont drive much due to not liking manual and when i do drive its miles on motorway but i don't think my driving had anything to do with it, how do you overcome driving something much bigger in tighter places like tight left/right turns or turning into a space?

If that left turn you made was from a side road onto a main road then you have just learned a lesson to why you should look both ways before pulling out of a road junction not just one way.

There are differences into the width of cars but not enough for it to make that much a difference when driving in traffic... dont forget if passing stationary vehicles you should be leaving at least a doors width ... if that gap is not there then one should be giving way .. whoever has to cross the white dividing line not the one that is there first... that does not apply if they are on the major road and you pulling out from a side road though.
It just takes practise and experience on how much space to leave, you would rather leave too much space than scrape another car, if not sure about the space behind when parking get out and check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending