StudentForSQA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys I need to send my teacher a presentation about if I could turn back time where would I go. Can you please give suggestions and reasonings because I’m stuck!
Advertisement
robertgallacher
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a thought exercise, it would be interesting to look into the microbial impact of going back in time, particularly in regards to how many microbes have now evolved so much so that they could cause devastation to huge amounts of people in the past, and consider that as part of your answer, particularly if you're interested in biology.
TabithaFord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
Hi guys I need to send my teacher a presentation about if I could turn back time where would I go. Can you please give suggestions and reasonings because I’m stuck!
Well, I'd suggest there are two ways of approaching this. The first way (and I suspect the route most people will take) would be to pick a particular period of history that you are interested in exploring, and to start making a case as to why you would like to go there. I'd suggest that do justice to this, you would need to do a bit of research. Now you can do this on a large scale: ie "the Roman Empire" or the small scale "I'd like to return to the exact point in time when the apple fell on Newton's head". Either way, you're going to need to give justification as to why this period of time is important to YOU.

Here's your second option. And this, we'll call the "Marcel Proust" option, where you write about returning to particular moment in your own past. It can be last summer, or an afternoon, or a particular moment. Here, you can draw on your own memories and recollections and recreate why that moment was particularly perfect. This can be commonplace - Proust often found beauty in the most mundane incident. It can be a time which you particularly enjoyed, or a time before something sad happened in your life. And here's something nice you can throw into your conclusion - that Proust differentiated between two kinds of memories - the ones that we actively unlock in our heads, and the ones that come unbidden. We bite into a cake, and all of a sudden we are transported back to a time when. He said that the latter was the most powerful. We've all had the experience of unzipping the suitcase and finding something from last summer that transports us right back there. As much as we want to "turn back time" we are always in its grip. But sometimes, we get lucky, and a smell, or a taste, can be our time machine.

Good luck.
Advertisement
StudentForSQA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TabithaFord99)
Well, I'd suggest there are two ways of approaching this. The first way (and I suspect the route most people will take) would be to pick a particular period of history that you are interested in exploring, and to start making a case as to why you would like to go there. I'd suggest that do justice to this, you would need to do a bit of research. Now you can do this on a large scale: ie "the Roman Empire" or the small scale "I'd like to return to the exact point in time when the apple fell on Newton's head". Either way, you're going to need to give justification as to why this period of time is important to YOU.

Here's your second option. And this, we'll call the "Marcel Proust" option, where you write about returning to particular moment in your own past. It can be last summer, or an afternoon, or a particular moment. Here, you can draw on your own memories and recollections and recreate why that moment was particularly perfect. This can be commonplace - Proust often found beauty in the most mundane incident. It can be a time which you particularly enjoyed, or a time before something sad happened in your life. And here's something nice you can throw into your conclusion - that Proust differentiated between two kinds of memories - the ones that we actively unlock in our heads, and the ones that come unbidden. We bite into a cake, and all of a sudden we are transported back to a time when. He said that the latter was the most powerful. We've all had the experience of unzipping the suitcase and finding something from last summer that transports us right back there. As much as we want to "turn back time" we are always in its grip. But sometimes, we get lucky, and a smell, or a taste, can be our time machine.

Good luck.
Thank you!
TabithaFord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
Thank you!
You're welcome. Do a good job!
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.84%
Confident (30)
12.05%
Indifferent (42)
16.87%
Unsure (67)
26.91%
Worried (88)
35.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise