The Student Room Group

What do you think about the riots in the USA?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by samc103
I think you should read the definition of riot....

What point are you even attempting to make here ?:s-smilie: Aside from getting uppity over nothing that is.
Whilst, of course, the death of Mr Floyd is abhorrent this does not in any way make rioting right. Peaceful protests are perfectly fine and should even be encouraged. Rioting, however will only lead to more issues.
Reply 22
Original post by samc103
How does this not make sense?? The BLM is fighting to stop racism and categorising blacks as “animals” or “aggressive people”, however the BLM is now categorising the American police force as corrupt and racist - that is total hypocrisy!
How is that a supremacist style argument - it’s a fact?!
“My lack of outrage” just because I don’t go about looting businesses (which put innocent people out of business and force them into poverty), burn buildings and beat innocent people on the street to death doesn’t mean I don’t support the BLM and equality for all.
You are a complete radicalist and hypocrite.

You are clearly confused! What is hypocritical about calling a racially problematic police force by its right name- racist? To not do so means that you are engaging in quasi supremacist supporting views.
No one said that you should go around looting anything. But you read your latest post. You personally have more apparent outrage about the police being called racist than you do for the loss of George Floyd's life. And please don't compare complaints about blatanr racism with racist stereotypical views of black people and then try to pretend that you thoroughly believe in BLM.
And yes i am a radicalist- and why aren't you one ?
Original post by kali8603
I unequivocally pledge my full support. Whilst obviously non-violence is the best way, these are not typical circumstances and so as a last resort I believe violence can and must be used. The American police are some of the worst in the world. Poorly trained, many have existing prejudices. Burn Atlanta to the ground like Sherman did; next stop the White House! I am white, but my heart bleeds for my black comrades who have suffered so much. They are entitled to burn down their communities if they want to.

My family are from america and moved to england. There are loads of family members still in america and we all think the riots need to stop. We are (well we can explain how upset we are) with the police kneeling on the black mans neck but we feel that the riots are a little out of hand. Its only causing the police to react in a similar way and so more people are getting hurt ect... This is my opinion though so please dont judge it or have a go at me ect...
Original post by Napp
What point are you even attempting to make here ?:s-smilie: Aside from getting uppity over nothing that is.

You acutely suggest that you support these “riots” - the definition of riot being “a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd” - however you think police using violence to disperse these rioters and trying to defend the community is bad
Reply 25
Original post by samc103
You acutely suggest that you support these “riots” - the definition of riot being “a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd” - however you think police using violence to disperse these rioters and trying to defend the community is bad

I thought i told you to read my first comment again? I never said of that, nor implied it for that.
Original post by mgi
You are clearly confused! What is hypocritical about calling a racially problematic police force by its right name- racist? To not do so means that you are engaging in quasi supremacist supporting views.
No one said that you should go around looting anything. But you read your latest post. You personally have more apparent outrage about the police being called racist than you do for the loss of George Floyd's life. And please don't compare complaints about blatanr racism with racist stereotypical views of black people and then try to pretend that you thoroughly believe in BLM.
And yes i am a radicalist- and why aren't you one ?

You say “what is hypothetical about calling a racially problematic police force by its right name - racist” this is extremely hypocritical as you are categorising and labelling the whole police force as racist. That is like me categorising and labelling a race as aggressive (which I don’t believe). Me not calling the ENTIRE police force racist is not contributing to the problem - it’s being diplomatic and fair by not labelling all of the police force as racist - something that the BLM is trying to fight against (prejudice, stereotypes etc).
I have outrage at the MANY innocent people being victims of the horrific death of Floyd as well as his death solely. Why can’t you see that not everyone that supports the BLM has to have such radical views about this?? Ignorance.
Reply 27
Original post by CharChar2106
My family are from america and moved to england. There are loads of family members still in america and we all think the riots need to stop. We are (well we can explain how upset we are) with the police kneeling on the black mans neck but we feel that the riots are a little out of hand. Its only causing the police to react in a similar way and so more people are getting hurt ect... This is my opinion though so please dont judge it or have a go at me ect...

I hear you, but if you have true knowledge of America you would know that the historical and current policing of black American communities is not acceptable and is toxic. One example, 1991- Rodney King! Numerous other examples falling on deaf wars over many generations! So you can sit in cosy, currently non rioting, unharmed community consensual style policing, of the UK and say that rioting in the USA is bad. So use your influences in America to reprimand the original stimulus and cause of the latest USA race riots.
And also ask them whether their primitive gun laws make any sense!
Original post by Napp
So by your own admission you think the police should be beating and shooting rioters? Violence being cool with you..

Here you imply that the police are wrong to use violence against the rioters - rioters being “a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd”. How can you think that the police are wrong to defend the community and innocent people’s lives against rioters setting fire to buildings and beating people to death on the street????
Reply 29
Original post by samc103
Here you imply that the police are wrong to use violence against the rioters - rioters being “a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd”. How can you think that the police are wrong to defend the community and innocent people’s lives against rioters setting fire to buildings and beating people to death on the street????

Which bit of you're misreading are you missing? :s-smilie: I have already told you, repeatedly, that is not what the comment means.
Either way think what you like on the matter.
I unequivocally pledge my full support. Whilst obviously non-violence is the best way, these are not typical circumstances and so as a last resort I believe violence can and must be used. The American police are some of the worst in the world. Poorly trained, many have existing prejudices. Burn Atlanta to the ground like Sherman did; next stop the White House! I am white, but my heart bleeds for my black comrades who have suffered so much. They are entitled to burn down their communities if they want to.

"They are entitled to burn down their communities." - Maybe 25 years ago but not now. American police are just as bad as police from other western countries. The only reason why we hear of the crimes of American police more is because American is a big place with over 300 million people.
Opportunistic people with nothing better to do, profiteering from the death of a drug addict who was negligently killed by a police officer, whilst also using the situation to push racial and political agendas.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by samc103
How does this not make sense?? The BLM is fighting to stop racism and categorising blacks as “animals” or “aggressive people”, however the BLM is now categorising the American police force as corrupt and racist - that is total hypocrisy!
How is that a supremacist style argument - it’s a fact?!
“My lack of outrage” just because I don’t go about looting businesses (which put innocent people out of business and force them into poverty), burn buildings and beat innocent people on the street to death doesn’t mean I don’t support the BLM and equality for all.
You are a complete radicalist and hypocrite.

Rioting is never really good in the first place. When I see rioting, I think of an excuse to loot and burn.
Reply 33
Original post by Gundabad(good)
"They are entitled to burn down their communities." - Maybe 25 years ago but not now. American police are just as bad as police from other western countries. The only reason why we hear of the crimes of American police more is because American is a big place with over 300 million people.

Nope. America, including its police forces, has deep historical slavery/racism issues. You are not going to deny this are you?
[QUOTE="Gundabad(good);88990888"]Rioting is never really good in the first place. When I see rioting, I think of an excuse to
Rioting is never really good in the first place. When I see rioting, I think of an excuse to loot and burn.

I agree with your first point...but I’m a bit confused as to what you mean when you say “when I see rioting, I think of an excuse to loot and burn”?
Original post by mgi
Nope. America, including its police forces, has deep historical slavery/racism issues. You are not going to deny this are you?

Just because there is racism doesn’t mean there has to be mass riots and burning of buildings and killing of innocent people!!!
Original post by mgi

Rodney King comes to mind when I think of racist police and that's horrific. But no change is going to happen by rioting. It was the peaceful civil rights movement that ended segregation, not black power.

What has looting, killing innocents and destroying property got to do with justice?
Original post by samc103
Just because there is racism doesn’t mean there has to be mass riots and burning of buildings and killing of innocent people!!!

Not all American police are racist as well.
Not all American police are racist as well.

That is the point I have been trying to make to these ignorant people who think all American police are racist and rioting is a good way to go about tackling it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending