Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
:wavey:
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying for Durham for 2021 entry :woo:

Here's some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
Subjects you are currently studying:
Predicted grades:
GCSE (or equivalent) grades:
Which other unis you are considering applying to:
Why you like Durham:
What colleges you are considering:
Anything else?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):
FAQ
Application Questions
I'm applying to a different course at Durham to elsewhere, can I submit a second personal statement?
Yes, Durham allows anyone to submit a substitute personal statement as long as it is submitted within 3 days of your application being acknowledged. You can read more about it, or submit your new personal statement here.

I applied to x course y months ago and haven't got a response, does that mean I've been rejected?
No, while Durham makes some offers before the 15th January, especially for their most competitive courses they often wait until the UCAS deadline of 15th January to consider the vast majority of applicants. This means they often end up giving offers out right until 31st March, or occasionally even later. Being left til the end doesn't mean either that you definitely have an offer coming, or that you definitely don't!

College Questions
How do I choose a college?
Everyone has different methods of choosing a college. Often people might like to consider factors such as the size, the proximity to their departmental buildings, the college facilities, self-catered or catered options, whether it is a gowned college, among other things. This webpage can be helpful for comparison of some factors.

I've recieved my college allocation, can I change college?
Unfortunately unless you have a medical need which cannot be met by the college you have been allocated then you cannot switch college. That said, some people do get changed college if either they insure rather than firm Durham or if they miss their offer but are accepted anyway so you may end up in a different college either way!

When do I apply for accommodation?
After results day in the summer. All first year students are guaranteed a place in accommodation at their college in Durham, your college will contact you to help match you to a room after results day (since some students have their college changed on results day).

Uni experience
Is there a society for x?
In all likelihood, yes! Both colleges and the university has societies for all kinds of things, everything from art to baking, harry potter to sport. And if they don't, it's super easy in most, if not all colleges to set up a new society.

Is it true no one goes clubbing in Durham?
No, definitely not! Durham has about 5 or 6 clubs which open different nights of the week and plenty of people go every time. Lots of people also like to go to Newcastle for nights out too. Equally there's plenty of people who don't like clubbing, so if you don't then don't worry about it either.

Find threads for the other unis you're applying to here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6630884
Last edited by Lemur14; 2 weeks ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The FAQs are helpful, especially the college questions for me

What course I’m applying for: Law
Subjects I’m currently studying: Physics, Maths and History
Predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8888888766
Which other unis I’m considering applying to: Manchester and Northumbria definitely but still undecided for the last two (between Cambridge, Newcastle York and Warwick)
What colleges I’m considering: Either John Snow or Josephine Butler

Anything else: I’m hoping to join some societies or clubs for baseball and climbing (if there is one). I would love to learn German at their language Centre and hopefully go a year abroad (but I’m not too fussed about this).

Does Durham allow you to do a language module, if you aren’t doing anything with languages?
Last edited by PetitePanda; 3 months ago
caluuuuuu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
:wavey:
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying for Durham for 2021 entry :woo:

Here's some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
Subjects you are currently studying:
Predicted grades:
GCSE (or equivalent) grades:
Which other unis you are considering applying to:
Why you like Durham:
What colleges you are considering:
Anything else?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):
FAQ
Application Questions
I'm applying to a different course at Durham to elsewhere, can I submit a second personal statement?
Yes, Durham allows anyone to submit a substitute personal statement as long as it is submitted within 3 days of your application being acknowledged. You can read more about it, or submit your new personal statement here.

I applied to x course y months ago and haven't got a response, does that mean I've been rejected?
No, while Durham makes some offers before the 15th January, especially for their most competitive courses they often wait until the UCAS deadline of 15th January to consider the vast majority of applicants. This means they often end up giving offers out right until 31st March, or occasionally even later. Being left til the end doesn't mean either that you definitely have an offer coming, or that you definitely don't!

College Questions
How do I choose a college?
Everyone has different methods of choosing a college. Often people might like to consider factors such as the size, the proximity to their departmental buildings, the college facilities, self-catered or catered options, whether it is a gowned college, among other things. This webpage can be helpful for comparison of some factors.

I've recieved my college allocation, can I change college?
Unfortunately unless you have a medical need which cannot be met by the college you have been allocated then you cannot switch college. That said, some people do get changed college if either they insure rather than firm Durham or if they miss their offer but are accepted anyway so you may end up in a different college either way!

When do I apply for accommodation?
After results day in the summer. All first year students are guaranteed a place in accommodation at their college in Durham, your college will contact you to help match you to a room after results day (since some students have their college changed on results day).

Uni experience
Is there a society for x?
In all likelihood, yes! Both colleges and the university has societies for all kinds of things, everything from art to baking, harry potter to sport. And if they don't, it's super easy in most, if not all colleges to set up a new society.

Is it true no one goes clubbing in Durham?
No, definitely not! Durham has about 5 or 6 clubs which open different nights of the week and plenty of people go every time. Lots of people also like to go to Newcastle for nights out too. Equally there's plenty of people who don't like clubbing, so if you don't then don't worry about it either.

What course are you applying for: Business & Management w/ French
Subjects you are currently studying: Obtained Diploma in Engineering w/ Business
Predicted grades: 3.1/4
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 3.1/4
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Reading, Newcastle
Why you like Durham: Reputation
What colleges you are considering: St. Aiden, Cuthbert, Chad
Anything else?

1. Any advice on whether the course structure or reputation is more important?
2. Thoughs on Durham's Business School as compared to Henley Business School and Newcastle's Business school?
tryhard264
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)

What course I’m applying for: Law
Subjects I’m currently studying: Physics, Maths and History
Predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8888888766
Which other unis I’m considering applying to: Manchester and Northumbria definitely but still undecided for the last two (between Cambridge, Newcastle York and Warwick)
What colleges I’m considering: Either John Snow or Josephine Butler

Anything else: I’m hoping to join some societies or clubs for baseball and climbing (if there is one). I would love to learn German at their language Centre and hopefully go a year abroad (but I’m not too fussed about this).

Does Durham allow you to do a language module, if you aren’t doing anything with languages?
Hi, I'm about to go into final year at Durham (my year abroad in Germany was cut short rip). To answer your question, yes you can take German as one of your classes without your degree being "with language". You wouldn't do this through the official Modern Languages department at Durham though, but with the language centre like you said.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by tryhard264)
Hi, I'm about to go into final year at Durham (my year abroad in Germany was cut short rip). To answer your question, yes you can take German as one of your classes without your degree being "with language". You wouldn't do this through the official Modern Languages department at Durham though, but with the language centre like you said.
Thank you for answering my question
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Glad to hear it
To add to the answer above, you can only take outside modules in certain years in most courses, for instance, in maths you can take them in years 1 and 3 (and 4). From a quick look on the law page it looks like you can do outside modules in years 2 and 3.
esor123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi guys, I saw that there was no Durham 2021 thread so I thought to make one. To start discussion u could specify:

1) What A-levels (predicted grades)?
2) What course are you applying for?
3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?
5) What extra things are you doing to support your application?
6) What other universities are you applying for?

Mosaic4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by esor123)
Hi guys, I saw that there was no Durham 2021 thread so I thought to make one. To start discussion u could specify:

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

Perhaps people could also say which college they are interested in too.
C000034
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

Hi, great idea for a thread
1) I take History, Politics and Economics; predicted grades probably in the region of A*A*A respectively
2) Law (LLB)
3) I only took nine - achieved 6 A*s and 3As (999988777) - interested in how competitive people feel these level of grades are (well aware a great deal of people will have more A*s and 9s than myself)
4) My dad grew up in Durham and it's a beautiful Uni - collegiate system is nice too, course is interesting and the recognition the university has is obviously very good & prestigious
5) Have read quite a bit in the way of legal texts, attended local Crown Court on a few occasions - other than that, not a great deal
6) Oxford (won't get in), UCL/Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham
As for a college, I honestly haven't a clue ahah (maybe St. John's)
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
:bump:
Anyone signed up for the virtual open day next week?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
:bump:
Anyone signed up for the virtual open day next week?
Meeeee I really want to see the colleges
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Meeeee I really want to see the colleges
Yes the colleges are really great to see! Hopefully they do them justice on the virtual platform
looneymcluna
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone!

1. I take French, Spanish and English Literature. Predicted A, A, A*
2. Modern Languages and Cultures
3. I took nine GCSEs - I got (998888777)
4. I fell in love with the city the first time I visited, and the course is perfect for me. I also live on the outskirts of Newcastle, so a 20-30 min train journey away from Durham, which is great as I am far enough away from home to get my independence, yet close enough if I need help, etc.
5. I've been working a standard job and also volunteering around my school - I would love to be a teacher one day, therefore, the best place for me to gain experience is in school; running language clubs for younger years, helping out in their lessons, writing for the school newspaper and a few other bits. I've also been given a place for the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School for French, which is going to help loads!
6. Oxford (because you never know), Edinburgh, Warwick, Liverpool
The college I'd love to go to is St. John's, however I'm not sure how easy it is to get in there as I've heard it's rather posh haha!

I hope this thread becomes more popular - I'd love to hear about what everyone is doing/wants to do! Also if anyone has been accepted to the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, especially if it's for French, say hi! It's sad we can't actually do the residential because of corona
looneymcluna
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for: Modern Languages and Cultures (with year abroad)

Subjects you are currently studying: I take French, Spanish and English Literature.
Predicted grades: A, A, A*
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 998888777
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Oxford (won't get in but worth a try lol), Edinburgh, Warwick, Liverpool
Why you like Durham: I fell in love with the city the first time I visited, and the course is perfect for me. I also live on the outskirts of Newcastle, so a 20-30 min train journey away from Durham, which is great as I am far enough away from home to get my independence, yet close enough if I need help, etc.
What colleges you are considering: St. John's or St. Mary's - someone please tell me more about these!
Anything else? I've also been given a place for the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School for French - if anyone has been accepted to the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, especially if it's for French, say hi! It's sad we can't actually do the residential because of corona
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by looneymcluna)
Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for: Modern Languages and Cultures (with year abroad)

Subjects you are currently studying: I take French, Spanish and English Literature.
Predicted grades: A, A, A*
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 998888777
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Oxford (won't get in but worth a try lol), Edinburgh, Warwick, Liverpool
Why you like Durham: I fell in love with the city the first time I visited, and the course is perfect for me. I also live on the outskirts of Newcastle, so a 20-30 min train journey away from Durham, which is great as I am far enough away from home to get my independence, yet close enough if I need help, etc.
What colleges you are considering: St. John's or St. Mary's - someone please tell me more about these!
Anything else? I've also been given a place for the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School for French - if anyone has been accepted to the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, especially if it's for French, say hi! It's sad we can't actually do the residential because of corona
Ayeee that's the same with me (location wise). I havent gotten place on the sutton trust one but I did with their north east one - the supported progression.
EJL:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

1) AAA in Maths, Biology, Economics (so might not apply)
2) Econ w/ management
3) 999877766
4) Pretty, good rep, nice area, like the course
5) currently reading econ books, social media coordinator, Uni of warwick econ lecture series, Experian girls in data challenge, yt channel, volunteering, waitress
6) Bristol Edinburgh St Andrews Cardiff
nmah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello everyone!!

1) I'm from the US so its a bit different.... but for AP exams: 5, 5, 5, 5 in world history, us history, English, and Spanish (plus more next year)
2) Politics
3) again, different country but... hopefully a 1510 on my SAT
4) It looks beautiful, I love how old it is and the collegiate system. Plus its a great education.
5) online courses, books, academies outside school, (hopefully) a youth commission for my city, etc.
6) Oxford, Leeds, Newcastle, St. Andrews (plus a few more in the USA)

I'm trying to figure out the college to choose but its a bit difficult
BaileyRawd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

1) Economics (A*), Government and Politics (A*), Maths (A)
2) Economics and Management
3) 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, A
4) Loved the collegiate system, the gowned formals, history and prestige ( oh... and the cheap pints)
5) Ran a small freelance writing business, Bank of England 2.0 Challenge, Student Investor Challenge, read a **** ton of books
6) Oxford (rejected, as expected), Manchester (Insurance), Leeds, Newcastle
spookysun
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone!
1 - English Lit, Graphics, BTEC Business ( D* A* A, A* if I work hard )
2 - Liberal Arts or Eng Lit ( want to do mainly modules in lit, but looking at Education and Vis Arts, also Music/History but I dont have the A-Levels in those, idk if they'd let me take those modules? Anyone know? )
3 - Distinction A7766665 (moved schools in y11, rip)
4 - Collegiate system looks great, relatively close to home (from the nw), supposed best in the UK for Lit and I wont get in to Cambridge with those GCSEs ((
5 - I'm going to read so many books, college magazine, creative writing club also going to nag and do EPQ in y13, maybe dofe too?
6 - Cambridge (ha), Exeter, Birmingham, Lancaster
7 - St Cuths! (need self catering, i am p o o r, but Chads looks great too, and I'll be in massive debt anyway lol)
Good luck everyone )))
spookysun
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone!
English Lit, Graphics, BTEC Business ( D* A* A, A* if I work hard )
Liberal Arts or Eng Lit ( want to do mainly modules in lit, but looking at Education and Vis Arts, also Music/History but I dont have the A-Levels in those, idk if they'd let me take those modules? Anyone know? )
Distinction A7766665 (moved schools in y11, rip)
Collegiate system looks great, relatively close to home (from the nw), supposed best in the UK for Lit and I wont get in to Cambridge with those GCSEs
I'm going to read so many books, college magazine, creative writing club also going to nag and do EPQ in y13, maybe dofe too?
Cambridge (ha), Exeter, Birmingham, Lancaster
St Cuths! (need self catering, i am p o o r, but Chads looks great too, and I'll be in massive debt anyway lol)

Hoping to join the veggie soc, I'm vegan,some other clubs look fun.
Can anyone tell me where abouts I wiuld have my English classes? I've looked on their website but I can't find the info? Also which are the closest colleges to those places? tyty

Good luck everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (2)
40%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
60%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise