The Student Room Group

Does the UK have too many immigrants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by barnetlad
One of the things that this pandemic has highlighted is the contribution of migrants.

What? It illustrated the lunacy of having a completely open border while in prisoning the natives in their own homes.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Didnt most people's ancestors immigrate to the UK at some point in history?

So what? This is true of every country in the world. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to keep tight control on which people or how many enter their country.
We've reached the point where people cannot openly discuss immigration without idiots accusing them of being far right or racist.
It is largely thanks to this attitude and accusations that the brexit votes went the way it did.
Reply 42
Original post by Just my opinion
So what? This is true of every country in the world. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to keep tight control on which people or how many enter their country.
We've reached the point where people cannot openly discuss immigration without idiots accusing them of being far right or racist.
It is largely thanks to this attitude and accusations that the brexit votes went the way it did.

Oh? And where did I accuse anyone of being far left or far right?
Original post by HuaHin
What? It illustrated the lunacy of having a completely open border while in prisoning the natives in their own homes.

Migrants treating those with the virus in hospitals, migrants looking after those in care homes, migrants or their children/grandchildren driving buses used by key workers.

The one thing we probably agree with is that quarantine for those arriving at airports and ports should have been introduced at the start of the pandemic, in early March. Having 3,000 people from Madrid come to Liverpool instead of the football being behind closed doors was a very bad decision.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Didnt most people's ancestors immigrate to the UK at some point in history?

And we all came out of Africa and so on...but although that may be true this is a different issue. People have been settled in their own countries for hundreds if not thousands of years, and have their own shared culture. Bringing in "new" people is going to alter that country's make-up and possibly create inter-cultural frictions.
Reply 45
Original post by barnetlad
Migrants treating those with the virus in hospitals, migrants looking after those in care homes, migrants or their children/grandchildren driving buses used by key workers.

The one thing we probably agree with is that quarantine for those arriving at airports and ports should have been introduced at the start of the pandemic, in early March. Having 3,000 people from Madrid come to Liverpool instead of the football being behind closed doors was a very bad decision.

*******s we dont need a multiracial NHS. First thing Johnson should have done is arranged repatriation flights and shut the border.
Reply 46
Original post by saskiax
And we all came out of Africa and so on...but although that may be true this is a different issue. People have been settled in their own countries for hundreds if not thousands of years, and have their own shared culture. Bringing in "new" people is going to alter that country's make-up and possibly create inter-cultural frictions.

The bold is a different topic.
I think every person coming into the UK to live should be able to speak to good level of English - my feelings. Other countries should do the same with other languages
Original post by Napp
Being 'post industrial' does not equal decline although in fairness it is in a current malaise.
Lol quite a lot can touch China now, it is now enemy number 1 of the world. It's economy is on a downward trajectory, its labour force is ageing and investment is leaving for other Asian countries. Note hoe one American edict can crush an entire industry there?
Lol have you ever been to either of those cities? Neither is even close to a threat to the dominance of London. Neither can even touch Singapore or HK :lol:.
Yeah you've clearly never actually been to the UK :lol: You sound more like one of those dullwitted Chinese government trolls than anything else.
Oh i'm so glad you brought up the asian quality of training in their universities, in particular China, where cheating in rampant and whilst 'churning out' plenty of degrees most arent worth the paper they're written on. Hence why if they can Asian families send their Children to Britain, America, Europe, Australia and so on to study.

You can trust what you want but given your apparent lack of knowledge on either Europe or Asia, well. :lol:

Brexit is threatening London's dominance. So we better hope for a good enough Brexit deal.
As an immigrant myself I do think there should be some border control because even though many contribute positively (eg work jobs British people are not willing to do) there are people who take advantage and live off of benefits their whole life without even bothering to learn the language. It also prevents people from trying to fix their own country and it's economy as many, especially the working population leave.
Original post by SoIndecisive
As an immigrant myself I do think there should be some border control because even though many contribute positively (eg work jobs British people are not willing to do) there are people who take advantage and live off of benefits their whole life without even bothering to learn the language. It also prevents people from trying to fix their own country and it's economy as many, especially the working population leave.

What about people already in the UK playing the system? Shouldn't something be done about them?

Quick Reply

Latest