The Student Room Group

Civil unrest flares in U.S. cities over Minneapolis killing of George Floyd

When footage of George Floyd's murder emerged, there was justified anger and justified protests in Minneapolis. Then non-local rioters started coming into the city and messed everything up. And now they're spreading across the US.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-minneapolis-police-protests/civil-unrest-flares-in-u-s-cities-over-minneapolis-killing-idUKKBN2360FZ

Scroll to see replies

The policeman who murdered George Floyd remains free yet the police are arrest black reporters

Reply 2
Original post by Mihaly
The policeman who murdered George Floyd remains free yet the police are arrest black reporters

Since when is he free ?:s-smilie: He was arrested..
Reply 3
Original post by Mihaly

He’s not free?? He’s been charged with murder and manslaughter....
@Napp @samc103 I thought he got out on bail? I stand corrected.
Reply 5
Original post by Mihaly
@Napp @samc103 I thought he got out on bail? I stand corrected.

To my knowledge he was offered bail on 500,000 but hasnt taken it up - things might have changed since i read that though
No surprise these are democratic states acting like this. Stealing TVs and burning a Wendy’s down is not a good way to honour George Floyd. These people are so removed from this case now, the army must be drafted in.

However, there’s a second part to this. They’re democratic states. The press conference given by the mayor and governor was simply a joke. Asking people nicely to return to their homes, telling them there’d be no punishment. The issue now is the democrats are paralysed. They can’t move. Because if they do act like they actually should do against these rioters they’ll be targeted by their own support groups that have falsely accused Trump and the republicans of racism for years. They’re stuck. Act, and their racists, stand still and the state gets burned down.

It is not racist to say that 95% of these protesters are black. It’s fact. They are. Trump is 100% right on this one, it’s time the shooting of rubber bullets started.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by imlikeahermit
Trump is 100% right on this one, it’s time the shooting started.

WTF! :shock:

I thought the Trump and republicans not being racist bit was the worst part of your post until I got to that part.

Log off and have a word with yourself!
Original post by Mihaly
WTF! :shock:

I thought the Trump and republicans not being racist bit was the worst part of your post until I got to that part.

Log off and have a word with yourself!

Are you one of these people who genuinely believes that throwing around any sort of language referring to any sort of ethnic background, is racism. Trump is not racist, nor are the republicans. The democrats are completely backed into a corner here, of entirely their own making.

That being said, it does not defend the abhorrent policing in that state. The reason these people are rioting is due to the sheer incompetence of the police force.

I should also add, rubber bullets are what’s needed here, not proper ones. But this cannot continue, it can’t. Burning down cities is not justifiable.
Reply 9
Actually most of the looting is not done by these black communities. I can speak for where I live in Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska. Many places are up in flames right now due to white people inciting the violence as the black protests are screaming and begging for peace. Most of the people who stayed to loot Minneapolis are in fact from out of state. They literally came TO DO THIS. And many of them have ties to hate groups to grow the divide.

This issue runs so deep. There are people inciting violence to make things worse purposely so the cause becomes tainted. But also police are escalating peaceful protests thus it turns violent quickly. See the video people to see a peaceful demonstration in my city and how they are treated by the police. No one should be calling for violence and the fact that Trump is calling for shooting is disgusting

https://www.facebook.com/justiceforzacharybearheels/videos/590878538202339/

This is not a joke. Racism in American is a problem and people have a right to express it and evoke change.
(edited 3 years ago)
Are you one of these people who genuinely believes that throwing around any sort of language referring to any sort of ethnic background, is racism. Trump is not racist, nor are the republicans. The democrats are completely backed into a corner here, of entirely their own making.

That being said, it does not defend the abhorrent policing in that state. The reason these people are rioting is due to the sheer incompetence of the police force.

I should also add, rubber bullets are what’s needed here, not proper ones. But this cannot continue, it can’t. Burning down cities is not justifiable.

Dude sort out your own issues before trying to defend republicans.

"it’s time the shooting started" ffs, :facepalm:
Original post by Benton72
Actually most of the looting is not done by these black communities. I can speak for where I live in Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska. Many places are up in flames right now due to white people inciting the violence as the black protests are screaming and begging for peace. Most of the people who stayed to loot Minneapolis are in fact from out of state. They literally came TO DO THIS. And many of them have ties to hate groups to grow the divide.

This issue runs so deep. There are people inciting violence to make things worse purposely so the cause becomes tainted. But also police are escalating peaceful protests thus it turns violent quickly. See the video people to see a peaceful demonstration in my city and how they are treated by the police. No one should be calling for violence and the fact that Trump is calling for shooting is disgusting

https://www.facebook.com/justiceforzacharybearheels/videos/590878538202339/

This is not a joke. Racism in American is a problem and people have a right to express it and evoke change.

I’m sorry, but enough is enough. I agree that racism in America is an issue, because in this case it blatantly is. However, burning down cities is not expressing and evoking change. It is abhorrent. How do you suggest these ‘protests’ are stopped? The guy has been arrested, it is now in the law courts. Do you suggest he be publicly tried and flogged? Will that please these ‘protesters’ who I agree, are not protesting for the original cause and are literally getting themselves there to do nothing but break the peace, which they are able to do because they know there will be no comeback from a piss poorly weak democratic state.
Original post by Mihaly
Dude sort out your own issues before trying to defend republicans.

"it’s time the shooting started" ffs, :facepalm:

Of rubber bullets. I see no issue with that. Would you rather sit them down for a cookie and a hug?
Of rubber bullets. I see no issue with that. Would you rather sit them down for a cookie and a hug?

You only started talking about rubber bullets after you got confronted about it.
Original post by Mihaly
You only started talking about rubber bullets after you got confronted about it.

However that’s what I meant. Don’t take my posts out of context.
However that’s what I meant. Don’t take my posts out of context.

You edited it now! :rofl:

How exactly did I take it out of context?
Original post by Mihaly

Because quite clearly, and perhaps wrongly I did not make it clear enough... I’ve changed that so it avoids confusion. There’s no issue with that. I meant rubber bullets, which is a typical riot dealing tactic.

You have still yet to answer the question and instead have unsurprisingly just decided to deflect the conversation. How do you suggest we deal with these riots? According to the democratic mayor these people won’t be punished.
Original post by Mihaly

Unsurprisingly again, when you can’t divert from actually giving some answer of any substance it all goes quiet... :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Unsurprisingly again, when you can’t divert from actually giving some answer of any substance it all goes quiet... :rolleyes:

In these forums, there's a threshold when it comes to the people we talk to and a limit to the usefulness in it. You're pushing the reasonable view on this and will get a good deal of flak from people who don't even know the meaning of the word because they are just puppets on a string, dancing to whatever tune is played to them. Of all things, Trump-related stuff is the most powerful drug.

Of course that it's complete bull to 'justify' the riots, anyone doing so is showing their complete lack of thought. They would have to be one of the shopkeepers having their livelihood looted and destroyed to understand that though, drunk as they are in the media narrative that commands them to support such things. Saw a clip in the news (definitely not BBC/Guardian/CNN/WaPo/Indy) of a shopkeeper armed with a hammer chasing the petty criminals in the street, having his tiny place ransacked by thugs looking to convert his PC into cash for whatever they fancy. He was black, if that makes any difference. Ask him what he thought of Trump's 'incitement to violence'.

No two ways about it, anyone sympathising with the looting gangs is no more than a lump soaking up the media commandments that steer everyone in that direction. Why they do it is for another time, they just do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
In these forums, there's a threshold when it comes to the people we talk to and a limit to the usefulness in it. You're pushing the reasonable view on this and will get a good deal of flak from people who don't even know the meaning of the word because they are just puppets on a string, dancing to whatever tune is played to them. Of all things, Trump-related stuff is the most powerful drug.

Of course that it's complete bull to 'justify' the riots, anyone doing so is showing their complete lack of thought. They would have to be one of the shopkeepers having their livelihood looted and destroyed to understand that though, drunk as they are in the media narrative that commands them to support such things. Saw a clip in the news *definitely not BBC/Guardian/CNN/WaPo/Indy) of a shopkeeper armed with a hammer chasing the petty criminals in the street with a hammer, having his tiny place ransacked by thugs looking to convert his PC into cash for whatever they fancy. He was black, if that makes any difference.

No two ways about it, anyone sympathising with the looting gangs is no more than a lump soaking up the media commands.

100% agree. Yet by talking some sense I get vilified for something which is then taken out of context completely!

Any kind of riot, this or any other cannot be allowed to continue. The democratic line from the mayor and governor of no punishment is why this has happened in the first place. I completely 100% get why these people are infuriated. What has happened is wrong, it is, no doubt. But, that does not justify what is happening here. It does not justify 80% of rioters crossing state lines just to partake. Of course, the democrats and the liberals will just offer these people a cookie and a hug, but like I said above, the democrats are paralysed now, no doubt about it.

Quick Reply