The Student Room Group

Justice for Floyd

3rd Degree murder charge for a white USA cop who deliberately kneeled on the neck of a black civilian and ignored requests to stop. Why is this not a first degree deliberate murder charge? Are the subtle supremacists at work again here?

Scroll to see replies

The law works in very funny ways. Also, it can be considered manslaughter from a legal perspective.
Reply 2
If you look at the wording of the law regarding murder, it'll be quite clear. No white supremacists needed.
Reply 3
Because he was suspected to have been taking drugs and had underlying health conditions that also accounted for his horrific death.
Original post by samc103
Because he was suspected to have been taking drugs and had underlying health conditions that also accounted for his horrific death.

This ^^^^^^^ plus for 1st degree it has to be shown he deliberately meant to kill him. It could be argued in court that he may have meant to hurt him but not kill him.
Reply 5
Well if he wasn't a cop and if he wasn't white the charges would probably be more serious...
Oh come on... They knew each other they had worked together for years. That cop knew what he was doing and his intention was murder. If a man says he can't breathe you let him go. Why was he even stepping on his neck in the first place. The American justice system is built on systematic racism and its horrible. The degree needs to be raised and the other officers need to be charged. How many more POC have to die for you to realises police forces are built on white supremacy its literally right there.
Reply 7
Original post by mgi
3rd Degree murder charge for a white USA cop who deliberately kneeled on the neck of a black civilian and ignored requests to stop. Why is this not a first degree deliberate murder charge? Are the subtle supremacists at work again here?

If you took the time to read the law in that state you'd know exactly why instead of blaming absolutely everything on your crackpot conspiracy theories.
Reply 8
Original post by caravaggio2
This ^^^^^^^ plus for 1st degree it has to be shown he deliberately meant to kill him. It could be argued in court that he may have meant to hurt him but not kill him.

According to their police handbook the argument for sitting on his kneck (away from the windpipe mind) is perfectly acceptable for their MO.
Original post by Nobody7
Well if he wasn't a cop and if he wasn't white the charges would probably be more serious...

You think so

Check out the death of Tony Timpa in exactly the same circumstances in 2016 He was white and one of the cops on top of him was black. They were on top of him for 14 minutes. They mocked him as he lay dying in front of them. Then as they lifted his nonresponsive body on to the medics trolly joked that they may have killed him.
They were reprimanded and allowed to return to duty.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tony+timpa&&view=detail&mid=AFE4BEF16CFBFA5C3905AFE4BEF16CFBFA5C3905&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dtony%2Btimpa%26FORM%3DHDRSC3
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nobody7

Rather than peddling unsubstantiated speculation why not try engaging with the statue?
So sad how legally it can be perceived as manslaughter when deep down we all know that George was purposely killed.
Reply 12
Original post by Alisha2355
So sad how legally it can be perceived as manslaughter when deep down we all know that George was purposely killed.

Thankfully the law doesnt answer to baseless emotional responses though.. Especially given the autopsy ruled that the officers actions on their own did not kill him (intended or otherwise). That isnt to excuse his actions but groundlessly saying he killed this man with malice and forthought, with nothing to back it up, is clearly wrong.
Do you not see the enormous problem with this? Everyone says they can't breathe. There would be no reason not to.

People even do it here. Nothing to do with anything other than to detract attention away from their behaviour. You see it all the time. Someone who doesn't want to be arrested starts shouting "don't kill me". Arrest a black man, and it's quite common for people to just stop and watch and record "just to make sure they don't get hurt". Doesn't happen with people of other racial backgrounds. That's racism right there.
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
If you took the time to read the law in that state you'd know exactly why instead of blaming absolutely everything on your crackpot conspiracy theories.

Here we go again with your foolish attacks! No data or quotes of the law or the facts of the case- just another attack.
Original post by mgi

The aim when charging is to get something which sticks and they have the evidence for.
To get evidence they have to investigate and interview people including the accused.
They have decided to start with third degree and work there way up.
Kneeling on the neck was within their police training manual, so he can say he was just doing his job in restraining, its all the rest they will be investigating. You have to be patient and let the lawyers plus investigators do their job.
I dont think it was first degree murder, that it was his deliberate intention to kill him. They will have to find other evidence to bump it up.

In the meantime attacking the police and looting isnt the answer, however angry people are.
Reply 16
Original post by mgi
Here we go again with your foolish attacks! No data or quotes of the law or the facts of the case- just another attack.

I'm not certain you know what an attack is :lol:
Merely pointing out you don't understand the states laws on the matter. As for giving you "quotes" 1) Given you have never in your life referenced something i will not do it for you. 2) It is incredibly easy to google. Stop being so insufferably lazy and actually research your point before you make it and demonstrate your don't know what you're talking about.
If you're really after a quote though; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
The aim when charging is to get something which sticks and they have the evidence for.
To get evidence they have to investigate and interview people including the accused.
They have decided to start with third degree and work there way up.
Kneeling on the neck was within their police training manual, so he can say he was just doing his job in restraining, its all the rest they will be investigating. You have to be patient and let the lawyers plus investigators do their job.
I dont think it was first degree murder, that it was his deliberate intention to kill him. They will have to find other evidence to bump it up.

In the meantime attacking the police and looting isnt the answer, however angry people are.

Just to lead on from these two points, aside from the near impossibility of proving malice and forethought on this (as opposed to grossly overstepping the bounds) according to the coronas report it was not the knee on the neck that was the proximate cause of death.. making it rather hard to go for the first degree whether they wanted to or not.
Reply 18
Original post by Napp
I'm not certain you know what an attack is :lol:
Merely pointing out you don't understand the states laws on the matter. As for giving you "quotes" 1) Given you have never in your life referenced something i will not do it for you. 2) It is incredibly easy to google. Stop being so insufferably lazy and actually research your point before you make it and demonstrate your don't know what you're talking about.
If you're really after a quote though; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

Your quote would apply to you! I am used to your "intervention attacks" And i repeat- bring your evidence - then maybe we can talk! But don't waste your time attacking me! Get busy attacking USA racist policing and give up on your crocodile tears and racial apologism! Ok.
Now i am not going to continue a back and forth "debate " with you and your quick fire meaningless unreferenced rhetoric. So my posted replies to you will be short, very short and to the point!
And did you not say that you would no longer communicate with me anyway? so why are you? Are you not yet clear about my views on racism? they are very different to yours! i do not support or pander to any form of supremacist ideology- subtle or explicit!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp
According to their police handbook the argument for sitting on his kneck (away from the windpipe mind) is perfectly acceptable for their MO.

He told them that he can’t breathe, and they continued kneeling on him. Is that perfectly acceptable?

They were kneeling on his neck for over 8 minutes. That’s not right. Once the suspect has stopped resisting and are no longer deemed a threat (he was laid on the ground in handcuffs and there were 3 other officers there) then you stop, and put him in the car. Even when he wasn’t responsive, they were still kneeling on him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending