The Student Room Group

Justice for Floyd

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by StudentForSQA
Yeah well maybe the cop purposely ignored him and purposely acted on camera as if he wasn’t trying to kill him. We don’t know.

Indeed, hence my comment about not assuming he tried to murder him...
Original post by Napp
Indeed, hence my comment about not assuming he tried to murder him...

But still though it sounds stupid you are even allowed to keep someone in that position and not listen to what they’re saying. Like that’s really not reasonable they should be aware that this kind of accident can happen and therefore listen. Guess they’ve learnt their lesson now after someone’s death. But it’s sad no one should learn a listen this way.
Reply 82
Original post by StudentForSQA
But still though it sounds stupid you are even allowed to keep someone in that position and not listen to what they’re saying. Like that’s really not reasonable they should be aware that this kind of accident can happen and therefore listen. Guess they’ve learnt their lesson now after someone’s death. But it’s sad no one should learn a listen this way.

Indeed so, with that being said, its not a particularly good set of choices they have - listen to potential criminal and possibly let them escape or continue choking them (one is speaking broadly not about this case in itself). Not ideal by a long shot.

Aye, there was a video going around of a chicago plod doing the same thing before his colleague came over and forcibly removed his knee... baby steps i guess.
Original post by Napp
Indeed so, with that being said, its not a particularly good set of choices they have - listen to potential criminal and possibly let them escape or continue choking them (one is speaking broadly not about this case in itself). Not ideal by a long shot.

Aye, there was a video going around of a chicago plod doing the same thing before his colleague came over and forcibly removed his knee... baby steps i guess.

Yeah I agree.
Reply 84
Original post by samc103
The autopsy.

What about it?
Reply 85
Original post by mgi
3rd Degree murder charge for a white USA cop who deliberately kneeled on the neck of a black civilian and ignored requests to stop. Why is this not a first degree deliberate murder charge? Are the subtle supremacists at work again here?

It is rather difficutl to hold down a huge and agressive junkie. It's hard to tell if the guy passed out or just preteds to pass out. I think that the cop just over did it and the other two didn't really do their bit.
Slowly choking someone in front of 20 people with phojnes recording him that would be some next level serial killer shait. But still, it is a manslaughter/murder3.
Reply 86
Original post by LeeJ93
It is rather difficutl to hold down a huge and agressive junkie. It's hard to tell if the guy passed out or just preteds to pass out. I think that the cop just over did it and the other two didn't really do their bit.
Slowly choking someone in front of 20 people with phojnes recording him that would be some next level serial killer shait. But still, it is a manslaughter/murder3.

or maybe more?
Reply 87
Original post by mgi
or maybe more?

I mean, what would be the optimal course of action?
Original post by samc103
The autopsy.

The autopsy said potential intoxicants.

Potential means unconfirmed.
Reply 89
Original post by LeeJ93
I mean, what would be the optimal course of action?

Put him on trial for 1st degree murder?
Reply 90
It should be first degree murder. Or the USA still uses the death sentence right?
IIRC, the degrees in Minnesota are:
1st: premeditated
2nd: not premeditated but deliberate murder
3rd: disregard for human life. An act that would pretty obviously kill someone but you weren't necessarily trying to kill them.

It seems pretty obvious that it should be third degree murder, considering the burden of proof rests on the prosecutor.
Original post by Deggs_14
It should be first degree murder. Or the USA still uses the death sentence right?

Different states have different laws, Minnesota does not have capital punishment.
Reply 93
Original post by DiddyDec
Different states have different laws, Minnesota does not have capital punishment.

😃😀😄
Original post by mgi
3rd Degree murder charge for a white USA cop who deliberately kneeled on the neck of a black civilian and ignored requests to stop. Why is this not a first degree deliberate murder charge?

It should be.

There are too many (i.e. not zero) cases of Police brutality. You have to wonder how many more don't have video evidence, so get ignored.

One of the deeply troubling aspects of this case is that the Police Officer was fired before being arrested. If anyone else had done this, their feet wouldn't have touched the ground.
Original post by Nobody7
Well if he wasn't a cop and if he wasn't white the charges would probably be more serious...

Agreed. If a member of the public, regardless of colour, did this to a Police Officer, they might not even survive to go to trial.
Reply 96
Original post by RogerOxon
It should be.

There are too many (i.e. not zero) cases of Police brutality. You have to wonder how many more don't have video evidence, so get ignored.

One of the deeply troubling aspects of this case is that the Police Officer was fired before being arrested. If anyone else had done this, their feet wouldn't have touched the ground.

Yes, it is a very shameful case and it has quite rightly attracted international attention.
Original post by Napp
I said it didnt mean he intended to kill the man. Nothing more, as i said quite clearly several times.

Right. So you don’t actually know what his intentions really were, and yet you are still adamant that he should be charged with manslaughter as opposed to murder?
Reply 98
Original post by cherryred90s
Right. So you don’t actually know what his intentions really were, and yet you are still adamant that he should be charged with manslaughter as opposed to murder?

A good point.
Reply 99
Original post by cherryred90s

Are you actually reading what i'm saying or just getting morally outraged for the sake of it?
I have stated my opinion quite clearly. There is no evidence, as of yet, that he went there with the the intention to murder the man ergo he cannot be charged with 1st degree murder. If it turns out there was some plot by him to go and bump off this poor fellow then the change in the charge sheet will reflect this. I don't understand what youre struggling with on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending