Get into teaching textiles

Watch this thread
LishaHart
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are there alot of universities teaching textiles, or more teaching art?
Last edited by LishaHart; 1 year ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LishaHart)
Are there alot of universities teaching textiles, or more teaching art?
Do you mean that you'd like to get into teaching at university level, or that you'd like to teach and you're looking for a university that offers a degree in design and technology with a textiles focus?

Most "textiles" type courses at uni will be geared towards fashion design, I believe.
LishaHart
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Do you mean that you'd like to get into teaching at university level, or that you'd like to teach and you're looking for a university that offers a degree in design and technology with a textiles focus?

Most "textiles" type courses at uni will be geared towards fashion design, I believe.
I would like to get into teaching, but am unsure on the path to take, I would love to have a PGCE, just not sure if I should do textiles or art. So I was wondering which ever ones more available and easily accessible, as a single mother of 2 travelling to study far from home would be difficult.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would like to get into teaching, but am unsure on the path to take, I would love to have a PGCE, just not sure if I should do textiles or art. So I was wondering which ever ones more available and easily accessible, as a single mother of 2 travelling to study far from home would be difficult.
You can't do a PGCE in just textiles, as far as I am aware- it would have to be Design Technology, although I can imagine you could focus on textiles.

Why not look at the unis and ITT providers close to you and see what they are offering? It doesn't matter if one is more popular nationally if it's not available local to you.

If you train in DT, you'll get a £15,000 bursary, whereas for art it's only £9000- obviously that shouldn't your deciding factor, but it's useful to know.

Once you have qualified, if you have skills in the other area, it's possible you could find a school which would let you teach both.
LishaHart
Rep:
How long does it take to become a qualified art teacher to independently teach a class room and how long does it take to start earning a salary once the course has been completed?
Last edited by LishaHart; 1 year ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How long does it take to become a qualified art teacher to independently teach a class room and how long does it take to start earning a salary once the course has been completed?
Assuming you have a degree, and can do the course full time- ITT is a one year(ish) course, starting in September and finishing in July. Most people will find a job for the following September, and start earning a salary then.

If you don't have a degree, you will need one- you can sometimes find undergrad courses with QTS, which would take 3 years minimum. These are more often for Primary teachers, though, so it may be 4 years (undergrad degree + 1 year ITT) if you can't find anything suitable locally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (145)
37.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
28.65%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
14.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed