The Student Room Group

People who say “All lives matter”

Closet racists tbh.. the reason we don’t have all lives matter or white lives matter is the same reason we don’t have soup kitchens for rich people.

The reasons BLM exists is because it’s evident that many think black lives do not matter.. so people who comeback with the all lives matter bs are the same morons who want a straight pride day.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Closet racists tbh.. the reason we don’t have all lives matter or white lives matter is the same reason we don’t have soup kitchens for rich people.

The reasons BLM exists is because it’s evident that many think black lives do not matter.. so people who comeback with the all lives matter bs are the same morons who want a straight pride day.

Do Asian lives matter?

Yep you are right. ( Straight pride day - does that exist? Bloody hell - it does )
I kind of get what you're saying.
I prefer the "all lives matter" because there are countless different ethnicities who are subject to discrimination, even among white people. It horrifies me how people can be horrible about Eastern European people, for example. As the poster above describes, there is also some very nasty behaviour aimed at Asian people, including Japanese and Chinese people when this pandemic first started. Then you've got the way people sometimes think of middle Eastern people because of the link to terrorism. There are so many ethnicities that receive abuse, of course including black, that I think it's so important we stand up for each and every one.
So, whilst I can see what you're saying, I feel my reason for preferring that phrase is with good intentions and not racist.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jamiet0185
I prefer the "all lives matter" because there are countless different ethnicities who are subject to discrimination, even among white people. It horrifies me how people can be horrible about Eastern European people, for example. As the poster above describes, there is also some very nasty behaviour aimed at Asian people, including Japanese and Chinese people when this pandemic first started. Then you've got the way people sometimes think of middle Eastern people because of the link to terrorism. There are so many ethnicities that receive abuse, of course including black, that I think it's so important we stand up for each and every one.
So, whilst I can see what you're saying, I feel my reason for preferring that phrase is with good intentions and not racist.

BLM is mainly due to police corruption against black people which usually ends in their death. A white school shooter who has firearms on him can be arrested and detained without killing them yet unarmed black man is killed?
(edited 3 years ago)
BLM is mainly due to police corruption against black people which usually ends in their death. A white school shooter who has firearms on him can be arrested and detained without killing them yet unarmed black man is killed?

Yeah it's horrendous and I'm not making any attempt to deny it whatsoever
Black lives do matter, and they do deserve far far better.
I just see no problem in people saying all lives matter. Because, by saying that, they are saying that black lives matter. Interpreting peoples good intentioned words as something they're not just detracts from the bigger problems here, in my opinion
Closet racists tbh...

100% agree.
It’s a disgusting situation. I agree.
But I also agree that all lives matter.
And everyone should be able to be proud.
I don’t know what the answer is. Someone will always be offended
For example, you’re willing to label people who say all lives matter as racist. That is not true
Original post by Sammylou40
It’s a disgusting situation. I agree.
But I also agree that all lives matter.
And everyone should be able to be proud.
I don’t know what the answer is. Someone will always be offended
For example, you’re willing to label people who say all lives matter as racist. That is not true

Because they are saying it to downplay the reasons BLM exists...
It’s a delicate situation, whilst the phrase “all lives matter” is 100% true in normal contexts. I’m the case of what is going on in the States right now it isn’t really relevant or adding to the conservation.

The story is an unarmed black man being killed by a white police officer, given the long standing racial tensions in America its only natural a movement will spring up and protests will happen when incidents like this occur. Saying all lives matter, whilst true, doesn’t do much and can look as if the conservation is trying to be moved.
All lives matter ofc but that’s NOT and never will be the point of black lives matter. Using all lives matter in this context is just a way to undermine BLM.
As a black female, I and my family are all much more likely to be killed by the very people that are meant to protect us than any other “type” of person. When we talk about black lives matter, we focus on the endless amount of prejudice and racism we face because of the colour of our skin that often translates into physical violence and murder. When we talk about black lives matter, we are saying that we are humans with lives, hearts, families, dreams and aspirations.... WE MATTER and we shouldn’t have that taken away from us.
I hate that whenever BLM reaches the media once again there’s always these “all lives matter” ppl cropping up because yes, referring back to what I said at the beginning, we know all lives matter - that’s not the point. The point is that all lives matter but black people are treated constantly by racist dangerous individuals in positions of power (who are in a position of power because of status, occupation and simply just because of the colour of their skin) like our lives don’t matter. That’s the point.

Hope that made sense.

Agree. People of majority groups hate feeling left out, it's always got to be ALL about them...even though they benefit the most due to their race, religion or sexual orientation. You couldn't make it up.
Reply 12

all counter movements are silly. all lives matter, straight pride, 'meninism' in response to feminism lmao
the point is - OF COURSE all lives matter. but you can't have that if black ones don't. thats why the long overdue protest is properly starting in support of specifically black lives.

innocent white people, like people of every other race, are shot all the time. but white people aren't shot for their skin colour. they'd be shot for a different reason, but not because they're white. :yep:
Reply 14
Original post by yzanne
the point is - OF COURSE all lives matter. but you can't have that if black ones don't. thats why the long overdue protest is properly starting in support of specifically black lives.

innocent white people, like people of every other race, are shot all the time. but white people aren't shot for their skin colour. they'd be shot for a different reason, but not because they're white. :yep:

Well in a broad global context they certainly are, if not solely in America. With the american example though, given the polices well known violence towards several other minorities be they arab, asian or latino... the 'all lives' statement seems to hold some merit.
For people who think “all lives matter” in this situation, go and read Billy Eilish’s instagram post then talk to me.
Stealthy racism in action

100% wholeheartedly agree. These people are just trying to draw attention away from the real issues that black people still face in America by belittling their slogan with their comeback 'all lives matter'. All they're trying to do is (ironically) accuse the black lives matter movement of being racist and demonising it's message when in actual fact they're the ones who are causing the most damage. Although - I think even worse than the 'all lives matter' slogan is the 'blue lives matter' one. It's honestly disgusting how this is used to defend cops who have so blatantly and grossly misused their power, like in George Floyd's case, and only encourages the systematic racism rampant in the police force.
All lives do matter fool
Reply 19
Original post by jamiet0185

I hear your POV. However I think it’s important to specify the group that you speak of, otherwise it’ll appear as though you’re encapsulating not only those who are being mistreated, but also the oppressors within the “All Lives Matter” statement. And though, yes indeed Asian, Eastern European Lives matter, in the current social climate, you dropping the line of “insert race other than black, lives matter”, it’ll seem as if you’re purposefully/maliciously diverting attention away from black people who are at the forefront of the media atm (and this will cause an uproar). Maybe when the current situation subsides a bit, be more vocal about other ethnicities who are suffering then. It’s always important to read the room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending