himdjkwndn234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I am going to be in a-levels soon. But I have a quick question, I haven't taken further maths in GCSE's so will I be able to take further maths in A-levels. Also, do I need to take further maths to study computer science in university?
Last edited by himdjkwndn234; 4 months ago
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You only need Maths to do Computer Science in most universities and another science (preferably Physics) but that’s not always the case. Based on the universities I’ve looked at, I only needed to study Maths and Physics. You don’t need to study Computer Science to study it in university (I didn’t know this).

Studying Further Maths might help you get accepted as I’ve spoken to administrators at UCL and they say if there are multiple students who have the entry requirements, they look at the subjects the student studies. So if you’re studying Further Maths, they’re more likely to accept you because it’s a lot harder
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can take Further Maths in A Level if the sixth form allows you to and if your Maths grade is higher than 7/8
himdjkwndn234
Rep:
?
(Original post by OnABus2Neverland)
You only need Maths to do Computer Science in most universities and another science (preferably Physics) but that’s not always the case. Based on the universities I’ve looked at, I only needed to study Maths and Physics. You don’t need to study Computer Science to study it in university (I didn’t know this).

Studying Further Maths might help you get accepted as I’ve spoken to administrators at UCL and they say if there are multiple students who have the entry requirements, they look at the subjects the student studies. So if you’re studying Further Maths, they’re more likely to accept you because it’s a lot harder
OnABus2Neverland Thankyou for helping me out, appreciate it.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by himdjkwndn234)
Hi, I am going to be in a-levels soon. But I have a quick question, I haven't taken further maths in GCSE's so will I be able to take further maths in A-levels. Also, do I need to take further maths to study computer science in university?
To do further maths at a-level, you usually need a grade 8 at GCSE maths. By doing further maths, you will also study a-level maths alongside it.
In terms of gcse further maths, it is not necessary to have that qualification in order to do a-level Further maths since most of the content is covered in AS mathematics. If you want, you can learn the content in gcse FM in your own time to help bridge the gap between GCSE and a-level as it will help when going into year 12.

For CS at university, it is not essential to have study FM at a-level since it is not offered everywhere. Top unis like oxford and Cambridge often see FM as a 'desirable' a-level to have since it helps with the mathematics and logic part of the course. Some people say the CS course at Oxford is a lot more maths based.
himdjkwndn234
Rep:
?
(Original post by CurryCurry2468)
To do further maths at a-level, you usually need a grade 8 at GCSE maths. By doing further maths, you will also study a-level maths alongside it.
In terms of gcse further maths, it is not necessary to have that qualification in order to do a-level Further maths since most of the content is covered in AS mathematics. If you want, you can learn the content in gcse FM in your own time to help bridge the gap between GCSE and a-level as it will help when going into year 12.

For CS at university, it is not essential to have study FM at a-level since it is not offered everywhere. Top unis like oxford and Cambridge often see FM as a 'desirable' a-level to have since it helps with the mathematics and logic part of the course. Some people say the CS course at Oxford is a lot more maths based.
CurryCurry2468 Thank you for the advice appreciate it a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (425)
48.24%

Watched Threads