The Student Room Group

Risk of homelessness

I am after some advice about whether I would be eligible to join the local Council Housing register. I am currently living with my father and his wife in a house in which she owns. However they are now planning to sell the house and hope to move into a 1 bedroom flat in the next few months. There would be nowhere else for me to go, and unless I manage to either find a property to rent or buy this would render me homeless. I worry that with my wage only being £700 per month, I wouldn't be able to afford to privately rent or own a property and am struggling to find somewhere. I am looking for full time work but to no avail. Would I qualify to join the register?
Original post by Anonymous
I am after some advice about whether I would be eligible to join the local Council Housing register. I am currently living with my father and his wife in a house in which she owns. However they are now planning to sell the house and hope to move into a 1 bedroom flat in the next few months. There would be nowhere else for me to go, and unless I manage to either find a property to rent or buy this would render me homeless. I worry that with my wage only being £700 per month, I wouldn't be able to afford to privately rent or own a property and am struggling to find somewhere. I am looking for full time work but to no avail. Would I qualify to join the register?

If you are a resident, then yes, but the waits can be many years. I wouldnt see it as a solution.
How old are you?
Your next best bet is to go on universal credit to see if you can get any housing benefit and to contact your local housing office. Think it would take them more than a few months to sell and buy.
Any chance your dad will give yopu any money?
Original post by Anonymous

Look at what I’ve put in bold, surely your dads wife is your mum? (Unless he remarried or something )
if you're male expect to go homeless. I'm male have health issues worked all my life and they didn't care. expect no support. I'm sorry, but this is the truth you're expected to find a place or sleep rough until you do. buy a van wl
The only advice I can give you is make sure you don't lose your job.
Reply 5
Instead of going all out for a house or flat at this stage, have you looked at how much would it be to rent a room within a house?
Original post by Surnia
Instead of going all out for a house or flat at this stage, have you looked at how much would it be to rent a room within a house?

£700 a month he's never going to own a house unless he gets inheritance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending