The Student Room Group

Economics degree without Economics A level

Hi, I'm a year 11 and for my a level options I have picked Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths( I might drop FM if it's too hard).

So I initially chose these subjects as they were facilitating subjects and I liked and was good at them at GCSE. They also left my career choices very open and for a point, I decided that I would do either a medicine/dentistry degree as I like science and I also did work experience in a hospital which I enjoyed.

However, now I'm thinking whether I should really do Medicine/dentistry as idk if my passion for these subjects is to the top level.

In year 9/10 I liked the idea of Business and I've always liked Maths and have been good at it so my dad suggested the idea of Economics to me and I researched a bit more about it and I seemed to like it. I also like the idea of maybe studying it as a degree at somewhere like LSE or Cambridge.

However I don't want to take it as an A level as I feel that it would narrow my options. So could I still do it as a degree if I didn't take it as an A level. I know many university's websites say that Economics isn't required at A level for a degree course but I went to a school for an open day and a person studying there is applying to study economics, he said that eventhough universities say they don't need economics, they prefer it. Is this true?

He also said that if you don't take it as an A level you have to show passion for the subject. How could I do this? Like what kind of work experience, or extra reading or anything else could I show and have done in order to show my passion? Also I could maybe do an EPQ on it but then that wouldn't be useful for medicine/dentistry and they wouldn't consider it a 'suitable' EPQ.

Also is there anyone who did an economics degree without economics A level for universities like LSE and Camrbidge? What did you do to show your passion towards the subject?

Can anyone give me some advice?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Could you drop potentially FM for Economics? That's what I did. I now do Bio, Che, Maths and Eco - admittedly, my reasonings for doing so was different (I want to do Medicine, but I love Economics and didn't want to let it go :tongue:). Why don't you try reading some magazines? I've also heard that blogging seems to be a good indicator of "passion" for a subject...
Reply 2
Original post by limitlesspuffy
Hi, I'm a year 11 and for my a level options I have picked Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths( I might drop FM if it's too hard).

So I initially chose these subjects as they were facilitating subjects and I liked and was good at them at GCSE. They also left my career choices very open and for a point, I decided that I would do either a medicine/dentistry degree as I like science and I also did work experience in a hospital which I enjoyed.

However, now I'm thinking whether I should really do Medicine/dentistry as idk if my passion for these subjects is to the top level.

In year 9/10 I liked the idea of Business and I've always liked Maths and have been good at it so my dad suggested the idea of Economics to me and I researched a bit more about it and I seemed to like it. I also like the idea of maybe studying it as a degree at somewhere like LSE or Cambridge.

However I don't want to take it as an A level as I feel that it would narrow my options. So could I still do it as a degree if I didn't take it as an A level. I know many university's websites say that Economics isn't required at A level for a degree course but I went to a school for an open day and a person studying there is applying to study economics, he said that eventhough universities say they don't need economics, they prefer it. Is this true?

He also said that if you don't take it as an A level you have to show passion for the subject. How could I do this? Like what kind of work experience, or extra reading or anything else could I show and have done in order to show my passion? Also I could maybe do an EPQ on it but then that wouldn't be useful for medicine/dentistry and they wouldn't consider it a 'suitable' EPQ.

Also is there anyone who did an economics degree without economics A level for universities like LSE and Camrbidge? What did you do to show your passion towards the subject?

Can anyone give me some advice?

You don't really need to do A-level econ prior to an econ degree at uni, as long as you can do basic stats/prob/calculus then you're good to go. I don't think you even really need to show passion for it as such, just demonstrate you're capable and have interest in the subject. Passion is a difficult thing to show, especially when you haven't done the subject.

Just do some reading (I recommend behavioural economics rather than theory heavy books to start with) and if there are some lectures you can attend (Cambridge for example do some) then attend those. But I recommend when you're discussing at least the latter, don't start your point in your PS with "I attend lectures on economics to broaden my understanding" :smile:

If you're applying to Cambridge, I really recommend you have a solid grasp of basic theory. I didn't do econ A-level and during my Cambridge interview I slipped up on some pretty basic demand/supply questions. In the end I didn't go to Cambridge, but I did still do maths/econ at uni and have done fine!
If you want to study economics at the likes of LSE or Cambridge then FM is very much the way to go. Economics A-level would be of no great benefit at all.

If universities "prefer" a particular A-level then they state that fact. It would be utterly pointless for them to have "secret" requirements.
Not taking economics a level is fine for Economics degree because it only requires A level maths (with A level further maths recommended). Even if it's preferred, it wont hinder your application so dont worry. You can do many things to show your genuine interests such as wider reading, academic reports, articles, journals, newspapers, documentaries, TED talks, lectures, summer schools, essay comps, research projects, EPQ, work experience and more - I think it would be better to do this instead of an economics A level because it's something of your own initiative than in your curriculum. If you do an EPQ on medicine/ density or economics, you can still gain the skills you would use in university and my cousin actually used her EPQ when she got interviewed for her biomedicine work placement.

I recommend looking t @historicism chapter on what they did for economics: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6438658 and @Mona123456 chapter: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php=87977654 and this chapter: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6436380 to see what they did for Economics side of their course.
Thanks everyone for the advice! Can anyone recommend any books that I can read or online work experience I can do?

Quick Reply

Latest