aurora-hague
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am taking 6 highers for S5 (this year).
I'm taking English, Maths, Modern Studies, Physics, Art and Design and Biology.
Is there anyone else taking 6 highers or if you have, is there any tips or warnings about some of my subjects?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here's my experience with the same subjects I took as you (not all sorry)

English - being honest I struggled with the jump between national 5 English and higher English, for the folio pieces (discursive and personal/creative) put your heart and soul in them and do topics that interest in to increase the likely-hood of receiving an A at the end of the year, for the Scottish texts you will have an additional question at the end which is comparing two scenes/works by author make mind-maps to help you, study cards to remember quotes for paper 2 (essay and Scottish text) , RUAE find/ask English department and remember the formula for answering the types of questions, RUAE and Scottish text answer in bullet points so its quicker

Maths - I just did the homework and found more questions to do for fun so it is repetitive and will stick in my head, write down all your working so you can get some marks even if you get the wrong answer

Physics and Biology - study cards for definitions I had to remember and doing every past paper from like early 2000s to 2019/2020ish because they reuse old questions or ask really similar questions, physics especially cause its basically maths write down all your working so you can get some marks even if you get the wrong answer , the maths in higher physics is national 5 level so if you are fine with national 5 maths you should be able to do the maths in higher physics, since physics has open ended questions from national 5 to advanced higher unlike bio so write all you know about the open ended questions (tbh have seen more open ended questions about dynamics and space and electricity), you will learn about the standard model if SQA hasn't changed the course again which does confuse a lot of people but nice posters and saying it out loud and here's the crazy teen version of EM spectrum song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kXkWXSXRA will help and Mr Smith physics on youtube

didn't take modern studies

Art and design - well I'm guessing you took national 5 (I only took national 5 and didn't take it any further) so you know how much time it takes, try and do as much during your class periods then create a study timetable thing like Monday Wednesday stay after school for Art, Tuesday and Thursday go to supported study for Physics and Biology respectively ,Friday go straight home etc., you may need to give up a lot of break times, lunchtimes, after schools, my school had Art school on Saturday mornings , early mornings finishing paintings or paper samples

Since you are doing 6 subjects this year , a work life balance will be important. Take breaks to relax and do what you want like sports or music/dance cause you can burn out this year. If a study timetable helped you before you can continue using it. Take advantage of what you have : ask for help from your teachers or friends or that "really smart person who always gets 100% and subject awards and dux" for help, bbc bitesize has good resources, watch/listen to youtube videos,how to pass books but I personally prefer Leckie Leckie and people recommend Scholar, find your own resources online, and have fun !!!!!

Good Luck
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aaaaa > aabbcd
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aurora-hague)
Hi, I am taking 6 highers for S5 (this year).
I'm taking English, Maths, Modern Studies, Physics, Art and Design and Biology.
Is there anyone else taking 6 highers or if you have, is there any tips or warnings about some of my subjects?
Admittedly, I don't really see the point of doing 6. It's just extra work and it won't look impressive to universities. They'll just ignore any extra subjects. If, however, you're really passionate about every subject, then you should learn/read about them in your spare time, or do them in sixth year. Doing too many might make you appear indecisive as opposed to versatile.

In any case, with English I would say to read your texts as soon as you can and make detailed notes for each themes. Practice writing essays but once you've read your texts, the most important thing is looking at essay questions and making short and concise essay plans for each of them. As for Mods and Bio, all I can say is to make sure you're always up-to-date with every lesson and that your notes are as detailed and neat as they can be. Always consolidate what you've studied. You can do this in 5 mins every evening or at the end of each week.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
Flk10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My tip would be don't do it. There is absolutely no advantage to be gained in doing 6 higher instead of 5- universities will not care about the sixth subject. Art in particular is very time-consuming so you're going to end up with not enough time to do well in all of your subjects.

Quality matters more than quantity.
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
... people recommend Scholar ...
Thanks for the mention stereotypeasian! Just to point out that, out of the subjects being discussed, SCHOLAR currently supports Art and Design, Biology, English, Maths and Physics at Higher level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.46%
Confident (31)
11.92%
Indifferent (45)
17.31%
Unsure (69)
26.54%
Worried (93)
35.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise